Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Portal Out

Default Re: Portal Out

Quote Originally Posted by cjr3888 View Post
    First, the kids switching teams left and right in select aren't the ones being recruited to play at the top D1 schools. Blaming select baseball on a failure to recruit better players isn't the systems fault, it's the coaches fault.

Second, if a coach leaves a school for another, is he penalized? No, but before the transfer rule change the player was penalized. The higher number of transfers is due to the one time transfer rule change, not the portal.

Third, the portal is just a way for everyone to know who is looking to transfer. Before the portal, it wasn't public knowledge but the same talks about transferring and players contacting other schools was already happening.

A lot of times it is an ego thing with the coaches. If coaches would follow CJR3888 model of developing kids and not chasing rings then the system would be great. These guys do a great job of sticking to the process and along the way they will win a few games and once they get better they will win rings also. Robe didn't like travel because of the mostly play heavy, skill weak concept. CJR3888 does the opposite these kids work hard and have fun and pick and choose how often they play. This concept is proven as the area they are based out of has won a state title and just recently made it to the semi-finals.

Thou I’m no longer in the crowd, I can’t tell you how many times I heard a parent utter towards their child playing a select sport “well, we either pay for college now or later, so it might as well be now”. Then later hear the parent be resentful, because, in their mind they’re paying twice. I have a good friend that did the baseball thing and I repeatedly told him, it’s not going to happen, his kid’s team wasn’t top flight, nobody would see him and second team all district doesn’t equate to a scholarship. A decade plus later, he’s still ____ed off, fully admitting everything except “you were right”.

And of course, in general, the child is hearing it from home. Animosity is usually directed at college coaches who under appreciated their child, often in a sport that scholarships were split up from the get go.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    And we must not forget that at the heart of this issue and the main cause for ruin are the coaches in select ball.
    Parental egos, later manifested onto players to please mom and dad. We’ve had the “too many world champions” discussion of youth stick sports. Not the fault of coaches if parents want to spend money on junior trying to be a world champion at the lowest level of the sport.

4. Default Re: Portal Out

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Parental egos, later manifested onto players to please mom and dad. We’ve had the “too many world champions” discussion of youth stick sports. Not the fault of coaches if parents want to spend money on junior trying to be a world champion at the lowest level of the sport.
    Yes, you are correct, never put any blame on the drug pusher.

5. Default Re: Portal Out

That sucks. B fitz was good.

6. Default Re: Portal Out

RB did not transfer from a&m. He was at incarnate word last year. He left a&m previously.

Softball portal now up to 860 kids.

8. Default Re: Portal Out

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Softball portal now up to 860 kids.
    Transfers from just the Cajuns baseball team reached 860 kids yesterday..

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Transfers from just the Cajuns baseball team reached 860 kids yesterday..
    How many you think will leave? I heard around 21. Jay said not that high.

KB Sides in the portal, to transfer to a school for the masters program she wants that’s not offered at Bama. She will be a solid pick up for whoever gets her. Also Lexi Wagner from Oregon in portal-she was vital to the team in Lombardi's first year after taking over for Mike White.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Coaches don't leave at the rate kids are moving across all sports. As a simple example, Luke McAffery (Brother of Christian) is transferring to his 3rd team in 7 months, having not even played a down at Louisville where he transferred to in February. Coaches are either getting fired or they're getting a better gig. They don't move at the rate kids do. Not the same.
    It’s a one time transfer rule, I’m wondering if it only applies once you dress for a game? You only get to transfer once without sitting out and I can’t find clarity anywhere if this means mcaffery will have to sit at his next school? Or technically won’t bc he never played for Louisville

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    It’s a one time transfer rule, I’m wondering if it only applies once you dress for a game? You only get to transfer once without sitting out and I can’t find clarity anywhere if this means mcaffery will have to sit at his next school? Or technically won’t bc he never played for Louisville
    That is a good question. I could be wrong, but technically he never played so should be good to go?

Quote Originally Posted by mun_RaginCajuns View Post
    KB Sides in the portal, to transfer to a school for the masters program she wants that’s not offered at Bama. She will be a solid pick up for whoever gets her. Also Lexi Wagner from Oregon in portal-she was vital to the team in Lombardi's first year after taking over for Mike White.
    Pre-med major....maybe looking at SOAL.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Pre-med major....maybe looking at SOAL.
    It is possible but I doubt it.

If Lexi Wagner is pre-med and a west coast girl, think Stanford is more likely than USA.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread Information