Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6

Thread: DIARY: Louisiana's Track & Field, Soccer Complex

1. Default UL Track Construction Reaches Final Phase

LOUISIANA La. - Imagine an entire college athletic career without a home event.

Senior members of Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns track and field squads almost faced that prospect as Cajun Track was judged unsuitable for meets in recent years.

But today, subcontractors begin pouring the layers of a new running surface, the latest step in what will become a combination track and soccer stadium on UL's Reinhardt Drive.

And once that is completed, the Cajuns can look forward to the March 19 Louisiana Classics and the April 16 Charles Lancon Relays before home fans.

"The kids have been great," said UL track and field coach Lance Veazey, who has scrambled to find practice venues for his athletes for the last year while the project was under way. "They've probably been more patient than I've been.

"For four years we've had no home collegiate meet, and that's hard. Some of the kids who've been with us three and four years haven't had the chance to run before their own fans.

"We're looking forward to it."

The process has been an involved one, with delays forced by wet weather last summer pushing back the original finishing date of last November. And it's a project that has been needed for longer than that.

"Aside from fixing bubbles on the track, I don't think it's been re-surfaced since 1990 or 1991," Veazey said. "So, it was due.

"The subsurface was all broken up. Patching it was like sticking your finger in a dike. You'd plug one hole and it would be crumbling around you. The lifespan of a track is maybe 15 years.

"Every day we'd go out and find bubbles. That's why we've hosted no meets for three years. It was still a pretty good track to train on. I think 25 or 30 years ago it was a good facility."

Fenstermaker and Associates has been the chief contractor on the project, which included installing a soccer field in the infield so UL's Ragin' Cajun women would have a home field to call their own.

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
    bbrown@theadvertiser.com

2. Default

Birds Eye View was hosted by Stevie "SG" Peloquin yesterday. I talked to Nelson about all the water puddles that existed on the surface inside the new track area after the last down pour

I asked if these flaws would be taken care of BEFORE the track surface goes down.

He said the contract has guidelines on what is allowable and what is not. He said there was no way ALL the puddles could be eliminated.

I was a tad surprised.

With some sort of leveling system and a slight slant in the track surface, there should be NO standing water!!!!!

I too am a TAD surprised!!!!
    DaddyCajun!!!

Track & Field

Turbine, I went by Tuesday to see if I could get some more photos for the "diary". Heard they were going to be laying the track surface. They were working, but not laying. Spoke to Tim Lemaire. He said they were working to fill in some of the dips. Also, said that the surface would be three layers. I expect that they have begun doing this. I did want to get photos of them actually laying the surface. Will try to get some today or tomorrow. The "diary" will continue until completion.

Track & Field

Visual Updates Mar 04, April 04, May-June 04, Sept 04, Oct 04, Nov 04, Dec 04, Jan 05

They began laying the first layer of the track surface. The photos I took today are evidence of that. The track surface will be comprised of three layers of rubber chips. The first two will be black, and the third one will be red. Before the third layer is applied a liquid will be sprayed. When dry it will give the third and final layer a slightly spongy feel.

This first photo was taken where the final curve enters the homestretch. You can easily distinquish the first layer that is being applied from the asphalt base.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Track & Field

I failed to mention that these photos were taken today, 20 Jan 05.

Track & Field

Another photo of the layer application process.

Track & Field

This green machine blows the rubber chips onto the red glue that has been spread over the asphalt. It looks like a tedious process to me. The "worker bees" appeared happy, and a bit pooped.

Track & Field

This the next to last photo in this series.

Track & Field

This is the last of the photos for this series. I spoke to the foreman, and asked when the last red layer was going to be applied. He thought that perhaps next week, barring any rain delay(s).

I am going to be away next week, but upon my return I will take photos of the last layer. I will continue this photo diary until I complete the diary with photographs of a completed UL Track & Soccer Complexe.

11. Default

Visual Updates Mar 04, April 04, May-June 04, Sept 04, Oct 04, Nov 04, Dec 04, Jan 05

WOW Thanks CajunCharlie

I love your Diary.

Thanks for the kind words, Turbine. Coming from the "Master", it is a compliment of the highest degree. I do enjoy doing this, because I believe it is of interest to our fans. The majority of us want to see progress being made at our University. This Track/Soccer Field Complexe fits into that category.

I do hope the diary is of interest to our fans. I would invite any comments, suggestions, or constructive criticism that would make it even more interesting.

I plan upon completion of the diary to make and album of the diary photos for Nelson S, Lance Veazey, and Dave Poggi. It will be a remembrance of the trial and tribulations of designin, developing, and completing the project. The final photos will reward them for the patience and perserverance, hopefully.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6

Thread Information