Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BB 2016: Hosting

1. UL Baseball BB 2016: Hosting

Here is a Google Doc that assembles the resumes of schools that are either on the bubble for a #1 seed . or on the bubble for a host regional (Ex. western or northern schools that may or may not be #1 seed material).

I am positioning this (at the moment) as the following schools are not on the bubble for #1 seeds and would also be regional hosts. Note that this could change pending conference tournament results.

#1 Louisville
    #2 Florida
    #3 Miami
    #4 Texas A&M
    #5 South Carolina
    #6 Ole Miss
    #9 LSU
    #11 Mississippi State
    #12 Texas Tech
    #13 Virginia

The above totals ten (10) schools. As such, the above document details the resume of seventeen (17) schools fighting for the final six (6) regional host spots.

Taking a stab at the next tier of schools, I would say the following would also host as #1 seeds (ordered by RPI) .

#7 North Carolina State
    #8 Vanderbilt
    #10 Clemson
    #16 Florida State

Poor conference tournament performance by the above can push the above teams out of #1 seed territory. One or more of these teams falling out is important for the Cajuns' chances.

The above would yield six (6) regional hosts from the ACC and seven (7) from the SEC. Texas Tech would be the one Big 12 representative in the above.

This yields two spots for the remaining schools. I think the top contenders are .
    #14 Coastal Carolina, #17 Texas Christian, #18 Louisiana, #22 Florida Atlantic #27 Tulane, and #36 Cal State-Fullerton. Note that Texas Christian is the only non-conference champion listed in this group (assuming Cal State-Fullerton holds off Long Beach State). Since Florida Atlantic did not submit a bid to host, it is quite possible that the NCAA could award the Owls a #1 seed and ship them west to either Cal State-Fullerton or to a Pac-12 host (Arizona, Arizona State, Washington). You might see one or two western regionals . two being possible if Cal State-Fullerton is deemed worthy of a #1 seed at selection time.

Winning the Sun Belt Tournament and increasing their RPI ranking is paramount for the Cajuns' chances of a #1 seed and hosting. At the moment, I think they would be bubble out.

Brian

Default Re: Bubble #1 Seed or Regional Host Resumes (5/22/16)

Thanks for the breakdown

Thanks. Look forward to the updates.

This thread should not be buried on the second page.

I knowI want a regional bad. I'm certain the guys want it more than me though. Gotta roll through this tourney and hopefully some of the "bubble" teams slip up. We can get luckyI hope.

Brian,

Just taking a look at latest RPI's and Nitty Gritty report. UC-Santa Barbara not being considering to host again? I see they are at 19 now with a few positives and negatives to their resume. I remember them hosting in Lake Elsinore last year because their stadium was inadequate. Could that not be a possibility again when looking for a west coast host?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan3406 View Post
    Brian,

Just taking a look at latest RPI's and Nitty Gritty report. UC-Santa Barbara not being considering to host again? I see they are at 19 now with a few positives and negatives to their resume. I remember them hosting in Lake Elsinore last year because their stadium was inadequate. Could that not be a possibility again when looking for a west coast host?
    Not Brian, but not winning the Big West is what is going to prevent them from hosting. They are 3rd behind Fullerton and Long Beach State.

8. UL Baseball Re: Bubble #1 Seed or Regional Host Resumes (5/22/16)

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02 View Post
    Not Brian, but not winning the Big West is what is going to prevent them from hosting. They are 3rd behind Fullerton and Long Beach State.
    Correct. I do not see UCSB hosting as the third place Big West team. Especially after the NCAA had egg on its face from UCSB's two and cue last season. I do think the Big West champ has a good chance to host . but not necessarily as a #1 seed.

BTW, I will be discussing some of this with Scott on ESPN 1420 at 4:40 today. Then it is off to the Sun Belt Tournament for me.

Brian

Awesome Brian, look forward to listening!

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    Correct. I do not see UCSB hosting as the third place Big West team. Especially after the NCAA had egg on its face from UCSB's two and cue last season. I do think the Big West champ has a good chance to host . but not necessarily as a #1 seed.

BTW, I will be discussing some of this with Scott on ESPN 1420 at 4:40 today. Then it is off to the Sun Belt Tournament for me.

Brian
    Well it gets interesting now that Kendall Rogers is reporting the LBSU did not submit a bid to host due to renovations. So I would assume that we would want LBSU to win the Big West, which would mean Fullerton doesn't host.

11. Default Re: Bubble #1 Seed or Regional Host Resumes (5/22/16)

Well it gets interesting now that Kendall Rogers is reporting the LBSU did not submit a bid to host due to renovations. So I would assume that we would want LBSU to win the Big West, which would mean Fullerton doesn't host.
    That was one of the question marks in my Google Doc hosting columns. Thanks, I have it updated.

Yes, LBSU winning makes it interesting. But I think the committee is still going to try their hardest to have a western regional . somewhere. Looking more like a #1 seed goes west.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin View Post
    That was one of the question marks in my Google Doc hosting columns. Thanks, I have it updated.

Yes, LBSU winning makes it interesting. But I think the committee is still going to try their hardest to have a western regional . somewhere. Looking more like a #1 seed goes west.

Brian
    I would think that it doesn't hurt us if FAU is the 1 seed that gets sent out west. FAU would host if they could, so them being sent west doesn't really take a host site away. It just moves it from Miami to the west coast.

I would think that it doesn't hurt us if FAU is the 1 seed that gets sent out west. FAU would host if they could, so them being sent west doesn't really take a host site away. It just moves it from Miami to the west coast.
    If FAU gets a #1 seed it doesn't matter because that means the Cajuns aren't in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    If FAU gets a #1 seed it doesn't matter because that means the Cajuns aren't in the mix.
    Why wouldn't they get a 1 seed? They are the regular season conference champ from the #5 RPI conference and have a RPI inside the top 25.

Both BA and D1 have FAU as a 1 seed, but travelling, and the Cajuns hosting.

Why wouldn't they get a 1 seed? They are the regular season conference champ from the #5 RPI conference and have a RPI inside the top 25.

Both BA and D1 have FAU as a 1 seed, but travelling, and the Cajuns hosting.
    There are plenty of teams in the south and in Florida in particular that have FAU beat for a hosting spot and I think most understand that. So what you are discussing is the idea that FAU moves from #22 RPI with a SOS of #82 to a point in the 13-16 RPI range. IF they pull that off that would mean they leapfrogged the Cajuns as well as a number of other teams. I know they are the #5 RPI conference but we are the regular season champs in the #9 conference and we have a better RPI and a better SOS (20).

Bottom line I think BA & D1 are wrong. I like these guys and think they are right more often than wrong but in this case I don't see the season ending with both the Cajuns and FAU as #1 seeds. The math doesn't add up. You have a number of teams in the RPI range from #13 to #22 shooting for four slots. The only way the Cajuns get in the mix is winning the conference tournament and if we do that I just don't see FAU being the team that leap frogs us.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information