Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: UCF joins the Sunbelt for Soccer

Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    You’ve never seen a Cajuns athletic team in or close to Top 10 in any sport since 1996? You’re either ignorant, legit stupid or a troll.

Since that year:

Baseball had four SR appearances, meaning at least Top 16 those season. One of those a CWS appearance, so at least Top 8. In ‘14, where we lost out in the Super Regional, we were ranked #1 for part of the season.

Softball has had eight SR appearances since ‘96 and three WCWS appearances. So eight seasons at least Top 16 and three in the Top 8 to finish.

Football finished #16 in AP for 2020 and 2021, thought I guess since you’re an expert, maybe you can tell me if that is defined as competing for Top 10.
    I think your wasting your time with this poster. Cleary, he or she was insulted that some on this board don't embrace soccer like he and others. I have no problem with the sport, but this topic comes up ever so often on this board and it ends up in the dumpster.

Quote Originally Posted by BigGreenTruck View Post
    Well season tickets are already "SOLD OUT" for men's soccer and that happened in less than 2 days after going on sale. Besides Kentucky, WVU and the occasional power like Akron, yes Akron is a power when talking about men's soccer (Akron was the 2010 National Champs and runners up in 1986, 2009, 2018) I expect that Coastal Carolina and JMU will bring larger than avg crowds.

And tell me again, what is the last sport UL or when I took classes there in 95 and 96 USL (Lived in Broussard from 1995-2006) has fought for to win a nation championship in or even been ranked in the Top 10 (Ive never seen the Cajuns even close to anything Top 10, in any sport). Marshall started the preseason and season ranked #1, fell out of that spot and got back to it only to be ranked #1 again and hold that spot for 11 weeks. Marshall has also not fallen out of the Top 25 since entering it in the seventh week of 2019. We are far from a flash in the pan now. Marshall finished 2019 ranked #11, 2020 #1, 2021 #16/#15.

When I lived in Southern LA, USL to begin with was the laughing stock of not only the Sun Belt but Louisiana sports in general. Im guessing the 1996 Texas AM win is still one of ULs best and biggest wins, the only UL football game I attended while living there. And the only basketball game was 1996 also, had a vested interest in it though as it was a 71-61 loss to the Marshall Thundering Herd.

I can be nice but I can also be just as snappy as you were if that is the way you like it.
    You're the troll thumping your chest about beating FAU last year, overlooking they made Marshall a one and done at the end of the season.

Not being snappy, I just do my homework before I go to someone's board and post. Suggest you do the same.

Now here is snappy...

And many know I was involved with soccer for decades. I'd love to have a MSOC team, but we don't have the coin. But if I ever play and win Powerball, I'd probably give just enough seed money for UL to have a sucky SBC program just to ____ off holier than thou mothers like you.

No need to reply, blocking you.

Sorry RP'ers, normally don't lose my cool like that.

3. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    You're the troll thumping your chest about beating FAU last year, overlooking they made Marshall a one and done at the end of the season.

Not being snappy, I just do my homework before I go to someone's board and post. Suggest you do the same.

Now here is snappy...

And many know I was involved with soccer for decades. I'd love to have a MSOC team, but we don't have the coin. But if I ever play and win Powerball, I'd probably give just enough seed money for UL to have a sucky SBC program just to ____ off holier than thou mothers like you.

No need to reply, blocking you.

Sorry RP'ers, normally don't lose my cool like that.
    Grammar and spelling so bad I couldn’t tell he was trolling.. lol

Would love a UL Men's Soccer Program. It just isn't feasible cost wise with all the teams being so far away, but man would we dominate the state in this sport. We would be the only D1 school in Louisiana with a soccer program and that would attract people.

We have the nicest field soccer wise in the state that is no debate. When UL hosted the LHSAA Soccer State Championship games in 2017 I heard nothing but amazing things about the surface of our field compared to Tad Gormley and Southeastern who annually host the state championship.

Louisiana High School Soccer is surprisingly pretty solid so we would have the entire state to pick from to go along with Texas players who are much bigger and faster as well.

Not to mention that LA TDP was just created which is basically a youth MLS affiliate for U13-19 in this state. It is fairly new but it is exposing our high school soccer players to talent all over the country as they play Colorado Rapids FC, Dallas FC, Austin FC, and every other MLS affiliate youth teams. If you just pull from that program you would have the best players in the state.

LSU-Eunice is nationally ranked every year at the D2 level and they just started a program only a few years ago so it is possible to start a program and have quick success.

The issue like everyone and myself keeps saying is travel wise. We could play only Texas Schools for our non-conference so that would help but conference play would be brutal cost wise. It just kills us that we would have to fly out every other weekend during conference play. Not to mention that schools aren't going to pay to fly out to Louisiana to play one game. They may have done it if we had another school close by that they could play two games in a weekend, but for one team they aren't going to pay all that money to fly for one game.

Maybe one day, but not today sadly and this coming from a guy who coaches high school soccer for a living in this state.

5. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

I don’t understand why y’all keep saying it isn’t feasible.. it’s almost the identical footprint as the conference now, add Florida and Kentucky. It’s not a 30 game travel schedule. It would be easy to have travel partners like basketball schedules.

Amazing how the cascades of CANT always drown out the CAN around here.

6. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I don’t understand why y’all keep saying it isn’t feasible.. it’s almost the identical footprint as the conference now, add Florida and Kentucky. It’s not a 30 game travel schedule. It would be easy to have travel partners like basketball schedules.

I agree

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post

No one is saying it CAN’T be done. We’re questioning (and I’m saying no) SHOULD it be done.

I want our limited resources concentrated on sports that are relevant nationally and regionally, which we already know is football and baseball.

And I say that as a former Cajuns Olympic sport athlete. If we’re going to try to keep up our progress in football, we can’t run around chasing resources to dump in men’s soccer plus another women’s sport that would have to be added.

I know this was brought up in the last soccer thread, but could we drop Olympic sports in favor of adding a soccer program + (beach volleyball or women golf)? Does the Sun Belt Conference require Olympic sports? Do the different events in Olympic Sports allow us to tally up to certain required number of sports programs?

If there are no barriers or reasons why we need to sponsor Olympic sports, would it be wise to replace them with a sport with potential to generate revenue way years down the road is soccer ever overtakes football/basketball/diamond sports in popularity (realizing this is a timeframe in decades)?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    No one is saying it CAN’T be done. We’re questioning (and I’m saying no) SHOULD it be done.

I want our limited resources concentrated on sports that are relevant nationally and regionally, which we already know is football and baseball.

And I say that as a former Cajuns Olympic sport athlete. If we’re going to try to keep up our progress in football, we can’t run around chasing resources to dump in men’s soccer plus another women’s sport that would have to be added.
    Drop mens basketball.

Mens basketball will NEVER get dropped. Fun to think about though

11. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

The prudent thing to do would be to form an exploritory committee.

Who knows a philanthropic desperate soccer fan might live right here in Acadiana.

12. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    The prudent thing to do would be to form an exploitory committee.

Who knows a philanthropic desperate soccer fan might live right here in Acadiana.
    ….So what are the general dates for the Soccer season start to finish, where are the locker rooms located, what is their time in the weight room? Ask a HS Coach of how it is hurting all the other school sports!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ….So what are the general dates for the Soccer season start to finish, where are the locker rooms located, what is their time in the weight room? Ask a HS Coach of how it is hurting all the other school sports!
    You're a Jesuit guy, so I'm assuming you're hearing from Jesuit football coaches that they don't like the soccer program because they have to share the weight room? Kinda crazy if so, Jesuit soccer is always among the top in the state.

I don't understand why you people don't realize that Dr. Maggard has been and is working on this. Sheesh.

Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post
    I don't understand why you people don't realize that Dr. Maggard has been and is working on this. Sheesh.
    Just hard to imagine or justify starting two programs (Title IX) when we can’t get a stadium renovated.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread Information