Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Burnt Roux: Mylik Wilson Portals to Texas Tech

1. Default Re: G Mylik Wilson entering the transfer portal

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    One and done teams? There are literally a handful of players that come out every year that are considered one and done. That's it. And they typically spread out in college. Kentucky has been as close to a one and done team over the last 10 years or so and they've won 1 national title. I'm not worried about one and done. It was a bigger issue 5 years ago than it is now.
    One and done teams has to do with the new free travel plan instituted be the NCAA Portal project.

It will kill interest in the sport at the current and next level.

Default Re: G Mylik Wilson entering the transfer portal

It’s gonna destroy college basketball the same way super teams destroyed the nba

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    It’s gonna destroy college basketball the same way super teams destroyed the nba
    Yep....

4. Default Re: G Mylik Wilson entering the transfer portal

College basketball already has been destroyed.. There’s not much left to ruin

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Yep...

agree

Thanks. We are fully aware of the number of players in the portal this year. This year has been a year like no other. My comments are in regards to essentially his entire time here as head coach, long before kids got a free agent year this past year with no loss of eligibility. However, I would like to touch on one point you made in regards to the players rated 11-13 that we tend to have to play before we probably want to. Many of those kids are the ones that transfer out of our program whether its due to their choice or not although it seems all too often, its the coaches pushing them out the door. My question is why are you wanting to take guys at the end of the roster to "develop" them if you don't want to develop them? If you know they are projects, and they are actually getting playing time because of injuries, this is the best time to develop them yet we push them out the door seemingly yearly. Doesn't seem to make sense.
    Well I don’t think everyone was fully aware of just how escalated things have gotten with the portal as a whole. Plus there is different information on different sites, take RaginDave’s post just below mine as an example. Looking back over the past 10 years South Alabama and Texas State have had more transfers than us. We are tied with Little Rock for third, with most of the other schools close behind. 10 of the 12 Sun Belt schools have averaged 2.5 or higher transfers per year over a 10 year span. The glaring exception is Georgia State who has had just 10 in 10 years for an average of 1. They have clearly been the best team over that span too and I don’t think that is a coincidence.

As far as the end of the bench guys I think it is natural to assess the roster and move on if needed, especially once you see how they respond to coaching and playing in the system. I honestly those who have been forced to move on because of off the court issues outnumber those who have just not made the cut on the court. I don’t know if that is an issue of recruiting the wrong type of character guys, or if this staff just runs a tighter ship than most. I’m not close enough to the program to answer that question.

Lol. Your disdain for college basketball and basketball itself is duly noted. You've also made false claims how CBB is dead because it brings in less money now than in the past and I showed you that wasn't correct. You also make the claim how its dead in the south and I've pointed out a ton of programs, in the deep south, who are doing better than ever in basketball. I know all of you guys have this baseball boner but a lot of what you use to criticize basketball just isn't true.

9. Default Re: G Mylik Wilson entering the transfer portal

Lol. Your disdain for college basketball and basketball itself is duly noted. You've also made false claims how CBB is dead because it brings in less money now than in the past and I showed you that wasn't correct. You also make the claim how its dead in the south and I've pointed out a ton of programs, in the deep south, who are doing better than ever in basketball. I know all of you guys have this baseball boner but a lot of what you use to criticize basketball just isn't true.
    There are no false claims and this has nothing to do with baseball.

Just because advertisers are paying more, doesn’t reflect the health of the sport. Interest is WAY down in college basketball as a whole. Does the ncaa tournament still bring in big money? I’m sure it is. It’s the most unique postseason in sports. But overall? Hell no. NCAA basketball used to be 5 month long sport. Now it’s 2 weeks. The best players rarely go to school, and if they do, they’re done in a year.

The health of the sport is in bad shape. The new “analytical” style is further killing it. I could go on but it’s useless.

But I get it. If someone told me my favorite sport was dying, I wouldn’t be too happy about it either.

There are no false claims and this has nothing to do with baseball.

Just because advertisers are paying more, doesn’t reflect the health of the sport. Interest is WAY down in college basketball as a whole. Does the ncaa tournament still bring in big money? I’m sure it is. It’s the most unique postseason in sports. But overall? Hell no. NCAA basketball used to be 5 month long sport. Now it’s 2 weeks. The best players rarely go to school, and if they do, they’re done in a year.

The health of the sport is in bad shape. The new “analytical” style is further killing it. I could go on but it’s useless.

But I get it. If someone told me my favorite sport was dying, I wouldn’t be too happy about it either.
    There are false claims in this exact post i'm quoting. First, while you can point to viewership being down for CBB this year which is true, you have to look across the spectrum to see that it was down for EVERY single sport. The superbowl was at one of its worst numbers ever. Baseball viewership has been way down for a while which is why they have been looking at more aggressive rules changes to quicken the game and make it more watchable for younger audiences.

Also, the best players go to schools albeit for a year or two max but they go. There have only been a very rare few who did not. Lamelo Ball did not. I cannot think of any of the top guys who went overseas and the option to go to the G-League is a new one. If you look at the top players in this year's class, you will see all but 1 who is going to a college to play.

I agree that analytics is frustrating to see but it, too, is being used across all sports. Hell, didn't this whole movement start in baseball? I will say that while I dislike the loyalty to it regardless of whether you have the personnel to actually implement it, it has created a more exciting brand of ball in many people's minds. People much rather see dunks and big outside shots than pounding a big center on the low block.

There are false claims in this exact post i'm quoting. First, while you can point to viewership being down for CBB this year which is true, you have to look across the spectrum to see that it was down for EVERY single sport. The superbowl was at one of its worst numbers ever. Baseball viewership has been way down for a while which is why they have been looking at more aggressive rules changes to quicken the game and make it more watchable for younger audiences.

Also, the best players go to schools albeit for a year or two max but they go. There have only been a very rare few who did not. Lamelo Ball did not. I cannot think of any of the top guys who went overseas and the option to go to the G-League is a new one. If you look at the top players in this year's class, you will see all but 1 who is going to a college to play.

I agree that analytics is frustrating to see but it, too, is being used across all sports. Hell, didn't this whole movement start in baseball? I will say that while I dislike the loyalty to it regardless of whether you have the personnel to actually implement it, it has created a more exciting brand of ball in many people's minds. People much rather see dunks and big outside shots than pounding a big center on the low block.
    RJ Hampton went overseas like Lamelo. It will be more common going forward. Also more than one is not going to play college. Actually a couple guys, like Emoni Bates have decommitted and will entertain going G-League or overseas.

Wilson will end up at Texas Tech according to my source there

Better there than the the tech in Louisiana.

College basketball needs to do like baseball. Either don’t go at all or sign the dotted line and wait 3 years to go pro with very few exceptions.

15. Default ESPN 1420 Former Ragin’ Cajun Mylik Wilson Transferring to Texas Tech

Louisiana's second-leading scorer for Louisiana will be playing for Texas Tech net season.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information