Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why I Love UL

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Why I Love UL

Quote Originally Posted by nathancpike View Post
    _ I'm loving these past memories and experiences. In four or five or six years, I hope to have experienced all of these and more. _
    I say the time I went to USL was fantastic. I started in 1974 and finished in 1981 with a 2 year hiatus in the middle. Being 18 you could get a beer legally and we didn't need any of the other distractions of today. Sports wise the years prior to 1974 were probably a lot more exciting but I was there when they started the dead years of basketball and then when it was resurrected - we packed Blackham but I can only imagine what it was like with Coach Shipley!

With that in mind, can anybody elaborate on what Coach Shipley did after the NCAA put us out of commission?

Default Re: Why I Love UL

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    I say the time I went to USL was fantastic. I started in 1974 and finished in 1981 with a 2 year hiatus in the middle. Being 18 you could get a beer legally and we didn't need any of the other distractions of today. Sports wise the years prior to 1974 were probably a lot more exciting but I was there when they started the dead years of basketball and then when it was resurrected - we packed Blackham but I can only imagine what it was like with Coach Shipley!

With that in mind, can anybody elaborate on what Coach Shipley did after the NCAA put us out of commission?
    Wrote the book "Slam Dunked" (with Ron Gomez) detailing how the Louisiana Board of Regents, with collusion with the NCAA, penalized the Cajuns.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    _ Wrote the book "Slam Dunked" (with Ron Gomez) detailing how the Louisiana Board of Regents, with collusion with the NCAA, penalized the Cajuns. _
    I've got it, but that book was written in the last 10 years, right? What did he do in the later 70's? He wasn't blackballed in coaching was he? Maybe he was for breaking the race barrier in Louisiana athletics.

I will put that on my list of why I love UL (although I think it was already listed).

_ Wrote the book "Slam Dunked" (with Ron Gomez) detailing how the Louisiana Board of Regents, with collusion with the NCAA, penalized the Cajuns. _
    I heard just a moment of Kevin Foote's radio show this morning there was a person from Coach Shipley's tenure, player or coach, not sure, but I heard him say he was from Kentucky. I wish I could have heard the entire segment. Who was this gentleman?

Quote Originally Posted by CarlBlake22 View Post
    _ I can't remember the names, but one was right across from Girard Park, and the other one was next to the married apartments. I'm not sure if how far back this goes, but my first year in the dorms they would have 3 or 4 movies that would play continually on the university channel - they were always really good movies and would change every month. I watched "snatch" (starring Brad Pitt) about 14 times one month. _
    I think those were Stokes A&B.

_ I heard just a moment of Kevin Foote's radio show this morning there was a person from Coach Shipley's tenure, player or coach, not sure, but I heard him say he was from Kentucky. I wish I could have heard the entire segment. Who was this gentleman? _
    Dean Church. A great one. He and another gentleman was on talking up the basketball reunion next weekend. All the former players will be in the lobby of the Cajundome on Saturday Jan. 22 from 6 to 7 to meet with the fans. Be there.

7. Default Re: Why I Love UL

Coming from Monroe to Lafayette. It has got to be the people and the culture. Never would have experienced so much had I not gone south!

8. Default Re: Why I Love UL

_ Men's dorms

Caffery Hall was completed as a men's dorm in 1957. It was named for Charles D. Caffery, one of the first to donate money to the university. Caffery was a member of UL Lafayette's Board of Trustees from 1905-1909 and was related to Ambassador Jefferson Caffery. Caffery Hall was demolished in 2002 to make way for a new student residence complex: Legacy Park.

McCullough Hall was a men's dorm completed in 1957. It was named in honor of Rexford C. McCullough, former dean of men and director of publicity. He was also a state senator and vice president of the SLI Alumni Association. McCullough graduated from UL Lafayette in 1931. McCulough Hall was demolished in 2003 to make way for a new student residence complex: Legacy Park.

Roy Hall was named for J. Arthur Roy, former member of the executive committee of UL Lafayette. It was constructed as a men's dorm in 1957. Roy Hall was demolished in 2002 to make way for a new student residence complex: Legacy Park.

Voorhies Hall, built in 1965 as a men's dormitory, was named in honor of Edward G. Voorhies. He was an original donor of money to UL Lafayette so it could be located in Lafayette. Voorhies Hall was demolished in 2003 to make way for the new Child Development Center.

Stokes Hall, named for William Bee "Daddy" Stokes, was constructed in 1968 as a men's dorm. Stokes was head of the Mathematics Department in the 1920s and 1930s _
    I think that I may have been the first to sleep in McCullough---It was so hot in Roy and McC wasn't open but they were running the AC and they were putting in the matresses---took my bedding and alarm clock and made it through 2 a days!!!

What I miss the most, aside from the family, food, and friendships, is the "scenery."

UL is home to the highest concentration of beautiful women I've seen anywhere I've been. I may be a little bias.but I'm just saying.

Quality is definitely not sacrificed in our quantity lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ I think that I may have been the first to sleep in McCullough---It was so hot in Roy and McC wasn't open but they were running the AC and they were putting in the matresses---took my bedding and alarm clock and made it through 2 a days!!! _
    You know, what is funny is I remember Roy and Voohries not having AC, but I don't remember it being a problem! I lived in each one for a semester.

_ You know, what is funny is I remember Roy and Voohries not having AC, but I don't remember it being a problem! I lived in each one for a semester. _
    this is an odd phenomenon---until i was 8, all my house had was an attic fan. sleeping in a bedroom w/o a/c in south la.! now i can barely stand it to be in bed with it at 72---what happened?

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Why I Love UL

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    _ I don't believe they do this anymore with the "official" change in drinking age to 21. I met my bride many years ago on Langiappe Day. _
    I met my wife of 21 years at UL also. Met her in Dr. Herbi Gaudet's psych classmemories!

The tug of wars on the blvd for lanappe day and eating a cup of the banana split out of the canou at Cypress Lake!

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun View Post
    _ I met my wife of 21 years at UL also. Met her in Dr. Herbi Gaudet's psych classmemories!

The tug of wars on the blvd for lanappe day and eating a cup of the banana split out of the canou at Cypress Lake! _
    1975 must have been the first Lagniappe Day (remember it was started because we didn't have basketball). It progressed well over the years as all I remember is crawfish (and beer)in Blackham - don't get me wrong, it was great, but I know a lot has been added over the years.

Actually, now that I think about it, it may have been the spring of 1976 for the crawfish in Blackham. I remember 5 cent beer in the Student Union Ballroom with highlights of USL basketball being shown off a projector. I have always wondered, if we had those highlights on video, was a dvd ever made and distributed for sale?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ This is a great thread anytime of year, but doubly so during recruiting season. igeaux.mobi _
    I'm going to add to this thread by inviting people to relate their stories.

One of my favorites: The hardest course I ever took was not in med school or graduate school, but it was U(S)L Invertebrate Biology taught by eventual Biology Dept Head Darrell Felder. He told us the first day not to ask questions because he didn't have time to answer: at most colleges, Invertebrate was two 3 hour lectures and two 2 hour labs; at UL, it was 1 3 hour lecture and 1 1 hour lab.

At the end of each class by butt hurt because I was taking notes so fast I didn't have time to shift my weight.

The morning of the final, my phone rings. Felder is calling me up, wanting to know where I was, I had overslept. I race over and bomb the test. When I talk to to him after, it turns out that I had misunderstood what the final would cover and studied the wrong stuff, so he LET ME TAKE IT AGAIN. Entirely essay of course, much harder exam, but it saved my 'B'.

Now, where else do profs care enough to call someone who has missed the final, and then let him re-take it?

This is a special place.

Spent many of afternoons at the Bulldog, especially for $1.00 burgers on Wednesday. Planning many of UL events for UPC especially Homecoming and Lagniappe Day and now attending them as an employee. They do still have Lagniappe Day and you can't beat a day where you get boiled crawfish and beer. Getting to tailgate with my husband and our friends, since I wasn't able to during my years at UL since I was a member of the Pride of Acadiana. Ragin' Cajuns athletics! Being named as one of the Ragin' Cajuns Spirit Award winners since being an employee!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information