Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Best College Towns Ranking

Default Re: Best College Towns Ranking

I also remember the days when someone was having a steak out, BBQ, shrimp boil, or crawfish boil Tuesday-Friday every single week. I went a whole year without going to the grocery store in 1982. Then the bottom dropped out.

2. Default Re: Best College Towns Ranking

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    He doesn't remember when Lafayette used to shut down at 6:45 in the morning so it could open back up at 7:00 AM. Of course that was only 6 days a week. Everyone would go to church on Sundays with a hangover to repent of their evil deeds they had committed all week long.
    Well Lafayette became like most bedroom communities. Sent Evangeline Downs packing to Opelousas. Many don’t know it but where the Outback and a couple motels occupy the Vermilion River sat the ‘SwingMachine’. Great place to drink and dance, and maybe a little more in the parking lot. Come Sunday the only place to sin because Lafayette City Limit stopped at the bridge.

Lafayette was dead, dead on Sunday. Additionally so was Baton Rouge. The fun was in Port Allen at the foot of the Huey Long bridge. Drinking, slot machines and all kinds of sinning going on.

The Strip died in the early 80’s when the City of Lafayette started their ATAC program. Zero tolerance. Drinking age enforcement.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Best College Towns Ranking

Toolame listed #10 in the Country!?! WHAT A JOKE!!! New Orleans has NEVER been a "college town".
    I know because I'm from there, AND I've seen two of the very BEST: Stillwater, Oklahoma, and LAFAYETTE!!

#cULture
    #WeAreLouisiana
    #GeauxCajuns
    #WinHomecoming
    #BeatSouthAl

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    They have San Marcos number 7. What did I miss? The only thing I could see San Marcos being known for is rounding up illegals & sticking them in freight truck in the nice cool texas air & leaving them there for a weekend in August.
    Well, technically, the San Marcos people don't do that but rather the criminals smuggling them.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    The Strip died in the early 80’s when the City of Lafayette started their ATAC program. Zero tolerance. Drinking age enforcement.
    It was pretty fun for me in the mid 90's. Not sure what you're referencing.

One thing I know for sure is that if we are only ranked 2 spots above Ruston, this poll is a complete sham!

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    It was pretty fun for me in the mid 90's. Not sure what you're referencing.
    Before ATAC existed, you could be stumbling drunk and cops simply told you to drive safe. ATAC introduced breathalyzers, no open containers, fixed fines and sentences, and no real ticket fixing (unless you were an elected official, wink wink). It may still exist in some form, but started fading as relevant in mid ‘90’s. Became the new norm.

The party school of the 70’s isn’t a myth. Blocks of students in varying drunkenness on Fridays is legendary.

9. Default Re: Best College Towns Ranking

In the book "Confederacy of Dunces" (mostly a book of fiction) (based on real UL people) he references Lafayette being voted the #1 College Party Town in America.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    In the book "Confederacy of Dunces" (mostly a book of fiction) (based on real UL people) he references Lafayette being voted the #1 College Party Town in America.
    Found this…

https://forumeus.com/showthread.php/...ool-circa-1976

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information