Thread: UL #1 Party School circa 1976

1. Ragin' Cajuns UL #1 Party School circa 1976

Here is some common knowledge to many, but I found it interesting, the info comes from (UL grad) writer F.R. Duplantier.

Below is an excerpt from his book of fiction (based on geo facts) called Quick Quick Slow (A Huey Zinc Murder Mystery)

Quote Originally Posted by F.R. Duplantier

"But we hooked up again in college, at the University of Southwestern Louisiana in Lafayette, about 150 miles west of New Orleans in the heart of Cajun country. Though the fact that it had been rated the number-one party school in America by Playboy magazine had had nothing to do with our decision to attend, we did find over the next six years that academic pursuits seemed to take a backseat to guzzling beer and chomping on boudin (a Cajun sausage) at "The Strip" in Lafayette, dancing all night at the fais-dodos in Breaux Bridge, and laying wagers on the cockfights in Cankton." Chapter 1 Link

2. Default

I vaguely remember this but not the year. In searching the web high and low I found out the Playboy top party schools list was resurrected in 2002 after a hiatus dating back to 1987. So I give up UL was the #1 Playboy party school in America what year before 1987?

Default Re: OK think back to your Student sports Orientation experience

1974. Didn't do sports, but did have video of the basketball team playing on the Student Union ballroom wall. The "chaperone" tooks my group of five to Uncle Pete's to shoot pool and have a few beers, and we got back a little late for the speeches. I do remember Dean Blanco saying that USL was not a party school, and then proceeded to give directions to the strip (Brass Rail, Le'Cole, Dirty Dans, Swamp Fox, French Quarter Saloon for the youngsters). Boy, were those the days...............

4. Default Re: UL #1 Party School

Quote Originally Posted by Chalk View Post
    _ I vaguely remember this but not the year. In searching the web high and low I found out the Playboy top party schools list was resurrected in 2002 after a hiatus dating back to 1987. So I give up UL was the #1 Playboy party school in America what year before 1987? _
    Playboy claims the first year they did it was 1987. But and however, since the author of the story says in his short bio that FR Duplantier attended UL in 1976 "Twenty-four hours in the masters programs at the University of Southwestern Louisiana (1976)" I decided to dig deeper.

Based on his information I did a search specifically for the a few years prior to 1976 and what i found would in fact have been fresh news for someone enrolling at UL in 1976. On a University of Wisconsin Alumni website, it mentions 1968 and 1976.
    Quote Originally Posted by UW
    Prior to the 1987 compilation, Playboy published two other articles in which they ranked college campuses. In 1976, "What's really happening on campus?" talked about blowout parties of the year . . . Link
    According to UW they won/garnered the title in 1968 which, with no reason to distrust FR Duplantier, would leave UL's year as 1976? The same year Mr. Duplantier earned 24-hours in the Masters Program at UL.

Default Re: UL #1 Party School

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    Playboy claims the first year they did it was 1987. But and however, since the author of the story says in his short bio that FR Duplantier attended UL in 1976 "Twenty-four hours in the masters programs at the University of Southwestern Louisiana (1976)" I decided to dig deeper.

Based on his information I did a search specifically for the a few years prior to 1976 and what i found would in fact have been fresh news for someone enrolling at UL in 1976. On a University of Wisconsin Alumni website, it mentions 1968 and 1976.

According to UW they won/garnered the title in 1968 which, with no reason to distrust FR Duplantier, would leave UL's year as 1976? The same year Mr. Duplantier earned 24-hours in the Masters Program at UL.
    Years past, in my USAF days, I seem to recall reading something similar to what you speak of. My memory, after many years, is vaque as to the magazine, but I seem to recall that I was stationed at Grand Forks, ND.. That would have been in the early 60's. Anyway, what I read was something about grading Universities as to their partying skills. The article wound up picking a school, but added this caveat," two schools were not considered, USL and LSU, because it would have been unfair to compare professionals with amateurs."

6. Default Re: UL #1 Party School circa 1976

Someone call Mr. Duplantier he seems to have a vivid memory of the ranking.

7. Default Re: UL #1 Party School circa 1976

Guys when I was here and before that for whatever reason ---Wednesday became like a weekend party night---Always a band and great stag dancing----nobody had dates ----So just go inside maybe a small cover charge and drink and dance---Another phenomenon was afternoon partying/drinking----classes over at 3 and many headed down to the strip for pitchers of beer!!!

Thread Information