Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 . LastLast

Thread: 2016: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

Quote Originally Posted by Stabil123 View Post
    Really, you can't be serious , others in our conference have a student fee, we're talking about a minimue % increase in tuition. And just where do we find the $10 million. We need to find new donors, we've beat a dead horse to dearh
    Most of the new money that will be generated by following the guidelines set out in the proposal will be coming from previously untapped or underutilized sources. We will not be beating the old dead horse. Not that we won't need more from those of us who have been giving, but most will be coming from new sources.

Just one example of a non traditional revenue source covered in the Report. If you enjoyed watching our baseball series this weekend, thank stAte's AD the next time you see him. stAte produced that programing and sold it to ESPN at a profit to provide content for ESPN3. No doubt they used the fact that they were playing us to enhance the value of the product.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Most of the new money that will be generated by following the guidelines set out in the proposal will be coming from previously untapped or underutilized sources. We will not be beating the old dead horse. Not that we won't need more from those of us who have been giving, but most will be coming from new sources.
    We're all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts. People with money in this area have stepped up, I asked just where will the $10 million come from , why not increase Tuition by 1 or 2 %, and what are the new sources or in your case I guess we need to find 1,000 people to put up $10,000 each, good luck with that.

Couldn't we just charge every student a ticket fee every semester that gets them into every event? Add a ticket fee as part of tuition. Why would that need student approval? $125 per semester per student is a hell of a bargain. Considering all the sporting events we have in all sports, that would come to just a couple of bucks per event. Why should they automatically get into every event free? Like us, students want to see UL excel and take pride in having a nationally recognized program and degree. A very small price to pay. I work with a Texas A&M alum and he said they did that there, except it was more like $250 a semester.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Student fees have to be voted on by students. There is a less than zero chance of that happening in the current economic environment. TOPS covers tuition NOT fees. As such Universities have gone down that road numerous times and you can't blame them. As such a big part of attending college in Louisiana isn't covered by TOPS and the downturn in O&G has compounded the issue. No way you get 50% of the students and their parents to vote this in right now. So it is a mute point.

Per VOB we just need to move on and figure out what else we can do at this time. Maybe someday we can take another look at a student fee but it isn't happening today.
    As someone that has paid a number of fees that TOPS doesn't pay as a parent and continue to do so at this time, it needs to be discussed. I don't argue that the climate is not right today, but when will it be in the future? For too long, our students and parents have paid much cheaper tuition then most other state university students and college students in our region. At some point the fee needs to be addressed and allowed to go to vote. If it does not pass, then students should be charged the public cost for tickets to all sporting events period. Its all part of raising athletic revenue.

We have failed, not just miserably, but spectacularly, in virtually every facet of promoting our brand and selling our product. If we follow the plan set out in this report, we can reverse this failure and make it a success. Much of the money will come from outside of Acadiana, from people and sponsors who want to capitalize on our unique brand.

7. Default Re: Alden Report Released by University of Louisiana Athletics

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Student fees have to be voted on by students. There is a less than zero chance of that happening in the current economic environment. TOPS covers tuition NOT fees. As such Universities have gone down that road numerous times and you can't blame them. As such a big part of attending college in Louisiana isn't covered by TOPS and the downturn in O&G has compounded the issue. No way you get 50% of the students and their parents to vote this in right now. So it is a mute point.

Per VOB we just need to move on and figure out what else we can do at this time. Maybe someday we can take another look at a student fee but it isn't happening today.
    ---Admittedly, this is not a good time for a student vote on this issue, but you don't need 50% of the student body but rather OVer 50% of the total vote---the last student vote passed but only by a very little if I remember correctly---It would take a hugely successful plan to get it done selling an enhancement to your degree, the afore mentioned small % increase, admission to all the games and some type of shirt or fringe to go with it--beer party or whatever---Alumni selling the point of the athletic value and the chance for matriculation to a P-5 conference----Also the calculation of losing and the ramifications of that!!

"Brand Summary"
    -You have a unique and authentic brand that can be monetized to fund athletics.

-Your constituents want to lead more, do more, pay more.

-you need a comprehensive brand plan with specific deliverables and timelines, developed by a task force from a cross section of both the University and the community.

-You need to execute this plan and NOT PUT IT ON A SHELF.

-YOU NEED TO MOVE QUICKLY ON ALL FRONTS OR RISK BEING PERMANENTLY LEFT BEHIND

Let that sink in boys and girls.this is it.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Couldn't we just charge every student a ticket fee every semester that gets them into every event? Add a ticket fee as part of tuition. Why would that need student approval? $125 per semester per student is a hell of a bargain. Considering all the sporting events we have in all sports, that would come to just a couple of bucks per event. Why should they automatically get into every event free? Like us, students want to see UL excel and take pride in having a nationally recognized program and degree. A very small price to pay. I work with a Texas A&M alum and he said they did that there, except it was more like $250 a semester.
    heck of a bargain, eh? as compared to free now. 50% of students won't approve, heck I might not

Quote Originally Posted by Stabil123 View Post
    We're all entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts. People with money in this area have stepped up, I asked just where will the $10 million come from , why not increase Tuition by 1 or 2 %, and what are the new sources or in your case I guess we need to find 1,000 people to put up $10,000 each, good luck with that.
    Of course some of our alumni with money have stepped up, some in a very big way. My point is that we have done a horrible job of promoting ourselves outside our alumni circle. We don't need to find 1000 people to put up $10000 each; we need to sell all of our athletic contests as self-produced packages to ESPN, FSN and others at a profit; we need to quit giving our product away for others to profit from it. We need to quit letting students in free to games, since we won't get a fee. We need to establish our brand as strongly as possible nationwide, even worldwide. A person in Poland or South Africa can buy our merchandise as easily as one from Lafayette. We have not even begun to tap our potential market.

I've never been a big fan of most mascots but then, it's been a long time since I was a kid. And while the cayenne pepper seems to have taken a lot of heat (pun intended) from some fans, it was much better in my opinion than that hideous whatever it was with the square head. Never saw the connection there.

Now, just thinking out loud here. Has anyone ever considered approaching the folks at Tabasco for some sort of joint advertising and promotion? That name is known world-wide.I know because I've seen their products all over the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    heck of a bargain, eh? as compared to free now. 50% of students won't approve, heck I might not
    Well, if you don't vote for one then they can add student tickets without a vote. Either way it will eventually need to get done. Nothing is free.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    Again, why do they have to approve? Simply add a ticket fee as part of tuition and fees m.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Well, if you don't vote for one then they can add student tickets without a vote. Either way it will eventually need to get done. Nothing is free.
    I'll cross that bridge when it gets here

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Again, why do they have to approve? Simply add a ticket fee as part of tuition and fees m.
    By UL system rule, student fees must be self imposed by vote. UL can't add a ticket fee, but it can simply stop letting students in free, charging either full price or a reduced price with ID.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 . LastLast

Thread Information