Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Campus 1925 - 26

1. Louisiana Campus Campus 1925 - 26

Default Re: Campus 1925 - 26

Not sure of the date, but this is Brown-Ayres Hall, which burnt to the ground in 1972. It was located where Moody Hall is now.

Attached Images Attached Images  

When was the Dairy building built?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun View Post
    When was the Dairy building built?
    1913-14

Waste drained into Cypress Swamp

More shots of Brown-Ayres; this one is dated as 1925. Neat seeing the quad seving as the baseball diamond, and before the covered walkways were constructed. And there is a basketball tourney going on along what is now Boucher Dr

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns_fan View Post
    Not sure of the date, but this is Brown-Ayres Hall, which burnt to the ground in 1972. It was located where Moody Hall is now.
    I was on campus for some reason the day Brown-Ayers burned. I was good friends with all the Rougeou kids so I went to the back door of the Presidents house to tell Dr. Rougeou about the fire. He wasn't there but Mrs Rougeou was there. She said "on my" and we walked to the back fence of the Presidents house near DeClouet hall. She was drinking coffee and we watched it burn to the ground.

7. Default Re: Campus 1925 - 26

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    I was on campus for some reason the day Brown-Ayers burned. I was good friends with all the Rougeou kids so I went to the back door of the Presidents house to tell Dr. Rougeou about the fire. He wasn't there but Mrs Rougeou was there. She said "on my" and we walked to the back fence of the Presidents house near DeClouet hall. She was drinking coffee and we watched it burn to the ground.
    ---Good friends with Bengi and Clyde---Both married some very good looking ladies!!!

Wouldn't Boucher drive be a bit further down from where the courts are? Or am I looking at this wrong? My point of perspective is Martin Hall with the big horseshoe driveway which begins at University Avenue or Hwy 182. Boucher Drive is much closer to University that the basketball courts appear. Looks to me like that little turn in road by the basketball courts became the Burke Hall parking lot. I've dug up things around there working for parking and transit and we would always find this strange looking stuff that could have been from the basketball courts.

Edit: Looking at Google Maps Boucher Drive is almost in line with Martin Hall.so it's only a bit off. Is the big building on Hebrard Boulevard Declouet Hall?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Wouldn't Boucher drive be a bit further down from where the courts are? Or am I looking at this wrong? My point of perspective is Martin Hall with the big horseshoe driveway which begins at University Avenue or Hwy 182. Boucher Drive is much closer to University that the basketball courts appear. Looks to me like that little turn in road by the basketball courts became the Burke Hall parking lot. I've dug up things around there working for parking and transit and we would always find this strange looking stuff that could have been from the basketball courts.

Edit: Looking at Google Maps Boucher Drive is almost in line with Martin Hall.so it's only a bit off. Is the big building on Hebrard Boulevard Declouet Hall?
    Looking at the pic, I think Boucher is to the right of the courts, with the other end of the courts bordering cypress lakethough it seems it is cypress grove in this period. In other words, the courts were located approximately where Lafayette and Guillory halls are located now.
    If you are driving from university, Boucher begins right after you pass DeClouet.
    I am attaching a snapshot of the current view from Google earth, for comparison.

Sorry, had not seen your edit before responding. Yes, that is DeClouet Hall on Hebrard.

Looks like the courts would have been through the middle of the rose garden, right?

What is the building that is now where McNaspy Stadium was?

Did St. Mary just stop at Hebrard Boulevard? These old pictures are so fascinating. I have so many questions.

Did St. Mary just stop at Hebrard Boulevard? These old pictures are so fascinating. I have so many questions.
    It also looks like St. Mary does a little jog to the left as well.

I might be wrong, but I don't think we can see St Mary in this picwell, maybe just a bit of it in the upper left-hand corner. I think you guys are looking at the road that abuts home base on the baseball field, and thinking that this is St Marybut I doubt that it is:
    1) If you look at Martin Hall, remember that this is the old MH, and that the new one was pushed back away from the circle. If you consider that, it doesn't seem like the Quad would be as large as it is now.
    2) Foster Hall & Brown-Ayres are also not that close to St Mary.
    3) The building right behind home plate is not Stephens, or where Stephens will eventually be built. I think Stephens will be built a bit further from home plate.
    4) The buildings next to Brown-Ayres are not OK Allen.in fact, since the pic is from 1925 he is not even governor yetbut this where OK Allen will be located. I'd like to know what the buildings were.
    5) The next buildings are where Lee Hall is now, but this building doesn't look like Lee. Maybe it gets remodeled are torn down in the future?

Anyway, just my thoughts.

And yes, I love looking at old pics too: I could look at them all day.and sometimes do, depending on how busy I am at work, lol.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information