Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Commuter Schools Defined

1. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    In the long history of silly ass threads on Ragin Pagin (and it's a glorious history) this ranks up there. Something that is basically common knowledge is denied over and over again with the most ridiculous arguments. Being a commuter school is not an insult. It's a function of the fact the majority of the students who go there can drive there so it makes it much more financially possible to attend 4 years of college because they can forgo paying to also live there. It's not a good excuse for why we can't seem to build a consistent student fan base for a phenomenal football program, but it is a factor and to deny it just because you don't like the connotation is just foolish.
    "can drive there" has never defined what a commuter school is. Never will.

"No nearby housing" is what has always defined a commuter school.

Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    "can drive there" has never defined what a commuter school is. Never will.

"No nearby housing" is what has always defined a commuter school.
    Only in your mind.

3. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Did you bother to read what a commuter school actually looks like?
    https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...ost-off-campus

Did you bother to read what, Louisiana looks like?
    https://housing.louisiana.edu/future...g-requirements

Did you read KajunKrazy's research? "6,351" undergraduate students.

Did you bother to read what a commuter school actually looks like?
    https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges...ost-off-campus

Did you bother to read what, Louisiana looks like?
    https://housing.louisiana.edu/future...g-requirements

Did you read KajunKrazy's research? "6,351" undergraduate students.
    So that still explains why so few students at football games. Say half show up that's roughly 3100 people. I would think that's about right from what I remember from last year.

5. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    So that still explains why so few students at football games. Say half show up that's roughly 3100 people. I would think that's about right from what I remember from last year.
    Agree.

For a half dozen years I have proposed Louisiana copies what Utah did with MUSS. (Mighty Utah Student Section)

20 years ago their student section was empty. They established MUSS and now it constantly wins awards.

https://www.blocku.com/2021/12/9/228...on-of-the-year

I just said a prayer for this thread hoping its put out of its misery soon and painlessly

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

The issue is not whether or not UL is a commuter school (which I think it clearly is), the issue is G5 football itself. Nobody cares about it. Not even when we're winning. With SEC football being played at a very high level 60 miles to the east, our football program is completely irrelevant to most casual fans in south Louisiana, and it's only going to get worse from here.

8. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    The issue is not whether or not UL is a commuter school (which I think it clearly is)...
    ... not.

Students at "commuter" schools have no choice, no options, no dorms.

Students at "commuter" schools do not have mandatory on campus living for undergraduates.

Students at Louisiana who commute, do so by choice, not by force.

Students choosing to save money by driving to school (regardless of how many choose to do so) when there are thousands of available apartments in city limits, do not change the definition of UL not being a commuter school.

The issue is not whether or not UL is a commuter school (which I think it clearly is), the issue is G5 football itself. Nobody cares about it. Not even when we're winning. With SEC football being played at a very high level 60 miles to the east, our football program is completely irrelevant to most casual fans in south Louisiana, and it's only going to get worse from here.
    LSU hasn't been playing at a high level.

10. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    They have all played at a high level. They have not always won at that level.

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    They've won three national championships in the recent era, produced a Heisman Trophy winner, and they've contended for the SEC West title almost every year. If that isn't a "high" level, what is? My point isn't how good LSU is, or is not, it's that it is very hard (if not impossible) for us to compete with the SEC for the casual football fan in our area, whether he commutes to school or not.

12. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

They've won three national championships in the recent era, produced a Heisman Trophy winner, and they've contended for the SEC West title almost every year. If that isn't a "high" level, what is? My point isn't how good LSU is, or is not, it's that it is very hard (if not impossible) for us to compete with the SEC for the casual football fan in our area, whether he commutes to school or not.
    Now do the last two years which is what was being discussed.

... not.

Students at "commuter" schools have no choice, no options, no dorms.

Students at "commuter" schools do not have mandatory on campus living for undergraduates.

Students at Louisiana who commute, do so by choice, not by force.

Students choosing to save money by driving to school (regardless of how many choose to do so) when there are thousands of available apartments in city limits, do not change the definition of UL not being a commuter school.
    Someone needs to inform the people who's job it is to contend with this issue at the school that Turbine has decided they are all wrong.

14. Default Re: Commuter Schools Defined

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    Someone needs to inform the people who's job it is to contend with this issue at the school that Turbine has decided they are all wrong.
    Did you tell the guy whose who's job it was to contend with name issue but wrongly came up with ULL that he was. wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I just said a prayer for this thread hoping its put out of its misery soon and painlessly
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information