Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Basketball Transfers

Default Re: Basketball Transfers

Look for Russell and Williams to share the point duties as they will both start. Coaches feel confident Williams can play point regularly if need be.

Antwann Jones transferring here from Creighton. Spent first year at Memphis. Sat out second year at Creighton and played for Bluejays this past year. Presume Gordon was let go so as to bring Jones in.

6'6 guard...

4 star out of HS. 11 offers, including 5-6 SEC offers including lsu.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    4 star out of HS. 11 offers, including 5-6 SEC offers including lsu.
    College stats don't reflect that HS ranking. However, he apparently can play multiple positions and perhaps he will fit in better here. While he did not play at a P5 school, Memphis (where he spent Year 1) and Creighton play in the AAC and Big East respectively. Those are basketball schools that play schedules as tough as many P5 teams. Marcus Stroman and JaKeenan Gant did quite well here after having similar stats to Jones at SEC schools. I don't see that kind of production from him happening but perhaps he can be a key bench contributor.

Also, the PG named Robinson who tweeted we offered will not be signing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Also, the PG named Robinson who tweeted we offered will not be signing here.
    When I saw his only other D-1 offers were from Houston Baptist and Eastern Illinois, didn't make sense it was a good fit.

College stats don't reflect that HS ranking. However, he apparently can play multiple positions and perhaps he will fit in better here. While he did not play at a P5 school, Memphis (where he spent Year 1) and Creighton play in the AAC and Big East respectively. Those are basketball schools that play schedules as tough as many P5 teams. Marcus Stroman and JaKeenan Gant did quite well here after having similar stats to Jones at SEC schools. I don't see that kind of production from him happening but perhaps he can be a key bench contributor.
    He put up solid numbers early last season at Creighton then it appears a transfer from Duke became eligible after the spring semester started which cut down his playing time and production. Although listed as a SG at 6’6” he will probably play at the wing. He was ranked as highly as #67 in the class of 2018 at one time by 247. I think the talent is there to maybe challenge for a starting spot, but I still like Julien to start at the 3 spot.

Should be noted that not only has he now transferred twice there seems to be issues latching in to a program even before that. He committed then decomitted from Oklahoma St, then committed and signed with Texas A&M only to get out of his letter of intent to go to Memphis. He also only entered the transfer portal last Tuesday so this seems pretty quick, lots of questions for me on this one.

9. Default Re: Basketball Transfers

With all the moving parts that the portal is creating, many teams will become much better, but no portal participating team will ever reach its full potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    He put up solid numbers early last season at Creighton then it appears a transfer from Duke became eligible after the spring semester started which cut down his playing time and production. Although listed as a SG at 6’6” he will probably play at the wing. He was ranked as highly as #67 in the class of 2018 at one time by 247. I think the talent is there to maybe challenge for a starting spot, but I still like Julien to start at the 3 spot.

Should be noted that not only has he now transferred twice there seems to be issues latching in to a program even before that. He committed then decomitted from Oklahoma St, then committed and signed with Texas A&M only to get out of his letter of intent to go to Memphis. He also only entered the transfer portal last Tuesday so this seems pretty quick, lots of questions for me on this one.
    We think he will be eligible immediately despite this being his 2nd transfer. Reason is he has already sat out once. He has three years to play since last season did not count towards eligibility. At this stage, little concern he transfers again since he will have to sit out if he does. Coaches think he can play multiple positions so I think most likely role is a key bench player. Maybe coincidence beyond the Duke transfer becoming eligible, but his playing time decrease also coincided with the suspension of their coach for controversial comments.

Looks like Butts has landed at New Mexico Junior College.

We think he will be eligible immediately despite this being his 2nd transfer. Reason is he has already sat out once. He has three years to play since last season did not count towards eligibility. At this stage, little concern he transfers again since he will have to sit out if he does. Coaches think he can play multiple positions so I think most likely role is a key bench player. Maybe coincidence beyond the Duke transfer becoming eligible, but his playing time decrease also coincided with the suspension of their coach for controversial comments.
    The question will be whether he is satisfied being a bench player. With the freedom of movement there seems to be and his history of bouncing around, I'd have some questions as well.

Looks like Butts has landed at New Mexico Junior College.
    Certainly wasn't a progressive move nor was it even a lateral move. Head scratcher there.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    AU in a reserve role as PG in limited minutes is fine. Otherwise he is a defensive liability against smaller and quicker PGs in the SBC. He can't create his own shot offensively and he is much better as a stand and shoot guard. He's not what is needed in a full time role at either the 1 or 2. JMO
    I would agree with this.

Would you rather be South AL with 9 transfers going out and 8 coming in as of now? That is a revolving door. As stated by our coaching staff the times have changed to where you are required to build a yearly team instead a program, sad but true.
    This has been a consistent issue for us during Marlin's tenure, not just this one year.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information