Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fan Base, Greeks, Hazing

UL Football Fan Base, Greeks, Hazing

We need some young folks to grow the fan base. The current problem is most of the fan base is gray heads.

Default Re: Are you ready for some football?

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    We need some young folks to grow the fan base. The current problem is most of the fan base is gray heads.
    I agree. When I was in school a "few years" back the student support came in vast majority from the greek organizations. The university from the outside looking in appears to be doing everything in their power to kill the fraternity system. If they keep suspending and expelling fraternity chapters the athletic support will go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    I agree. When I was in school a "few years" back the student support came in vast majority from the greek organizations. The university from the outside looking in appears to be doing everything in their power to kill the fraternity system. If they keep suspending and expelling fraternity chapters the athletic support will go with it.
    I think the fraternities may be lending some help to suspending themselves. Not the same world it was a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    I think the fraternities may be lending some help to suspending themselves. Not the same world it was a decade ago.
    That could be looked at a couple of ways. You are correct it is not the same world. But the reasoning that some are getting reprimanded for hear would not be looked at twice at other schools. They are going out of their way hear to intentionally kill the greeks. At least that is the way it appears.

Were the people who lead the Greek system to commit to ZERO hazing activities, this issue would go away and the Greeks would thrive. Of course doing charity work should be allowed but that should be the extent of any initiation activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Were the people who lead the Greek system to commit to ZERO hazing activities, this issue would go away and the Greeks would thrive. Of course doing charity work should be allowed but that should be the extent of any initiation activities.
    There will always be hazing, just need to stop getting pledges ripped beyond passing out.

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    The most recent suspension for hazing was a whopping 3 year suspension. I've never seen that type of length suspension and the infractions were for doing calisthenics and sleep deprivation. If you rush a fraternity and that's ALL you have to deal with you are getting away easy so its definitely a tale of the time and our society norms have shifted so much. The kids who were putting the pledges through this are facing misdemeanor charges. Can you believe that for making a kid do push ups, you are being charged with something similar to assault or DUI first offense?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Hazing is a very broad term. What the university of La defines as hazing La st and La tech might not. I think everyone should agree to ZERO activity that could put someone's life in danger or harm in any way. ZERO activity of forced feed alcohol.... But if you are above cleaning a toilet or moping a floor and report that as hazing, which is why one fraternity got suspended, you probably shouldn't have joined. I mean its a freaking house with 40 to 50 college age boys in and out of it, someone's got to clean it and they all had their turn.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    The most recent suspension for hazing was a whopping 3 year suspension. I've never seen that type of length suspension and the infractions were for doing calisthenics and sleep deprivation. If you rush a fraternity and that's ALL you have to deal with you are getting away easy so its definitely a tale of the time and our society norms have shifted so much. The kids who were putting the pledges through this are facing misdemeanor charges. Can you believe that for making a kid do push ups, you are being charged with something similar to assault or DUI first offense?
    Many people do not realize that many fraternities have military back grounds at their roots. The physical trainings are a part of their founding. Would they do the same thing to the ROTC on campus for committing the same "crime".

Many people do not realize that many fraternities have military back grounds at their roots. The physical trainings are a part of their founding. Would they do the same thing to the ROTC on campus for committing the same "crime".
    I won't comment on this case, because I don't have the information to have an informed opinion. Hazing isn't allowed in the military either, but my son-in-law was just promoted this weekend after drills for the Marine Reserves and he isn't walking to well today.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I won't comment on this case, because I don't have the information to have an informed opinion. Hazing isn't allowed in the military either, but my son-in-law was just promoted this weekend after drills for the Marine Reserves and he isn't walking to well today.
    Right. But push-ups, sit ups and jumping jacks most certainly are and they are not considered hazing.

Well, one of those cases of sleep deprivation resulted in the death of an international student because a pledge fell asleep at the wheel. It is sad that it took something like that to happen for that fraternity to get removed, but they had a long history of participating in high-risk activities, and nothing was ever done about it. Another fraternity is currently on suspension because several of their members were involved in a cooperative scheme to sexually assault women at at a bar. Yes, a side effect of losing some fraternities is less student participation at sporting events. However, this is what happens when you have organizations that are intended to develop men and build character by instilling values, yet they are more interested in victimizing their pledges and behaving like depraved degenerates. Unfortunately the fraternity alumni and the school administration are the ones responsible for perpetuating the toxic culture by turning a blind eye and giving out slaps on the wrist for lesser allegations, until something horrific happens and they have no other choice.

Quote Originally Posted by raginbeef View Post
    Well, one of those cases of sleep deprivation resulted in the death of an international student because a pledge fell asleep at the wheel. It is sad that it took something like that to happen for that fraternity to get removed, but they had a long history of participating in high-risk activities, and nothing was ever done about it. Another fraternity is currently on suspension because several of their members were involved in a cooperative scheme to sexually assault women at at a bar. Yes, a side effect of losing some fraternities is less student participation at sporting events. However, this is what happens when you have organizations that are intended to develop men and build character by instilling values, yet they are more interested in victimizing their pledges and behaving like depraved degenerates. Unfortunately the fraternity alumni and the school administration are the ones responsible for perpetuating the toxic culture by turning a blind eye and giving out slaps on the wrist for lesser allegations, until something horrific happens and they have no other choice.
    The case of the death you speak of is from 6 years ago and there is nothing that has fully determined that the person died because of hazing and sleep deprivation. If it is proven, it is very unfortunate but to blame the university or fraternity alumni for it is ridiculous. I have certainly not heard of any planned sexual assaults either. Our old fraternity was kicked off for over a year for covid violations though....

Quote Originally Posted by raginbeef View Post
    The case of the death you speak of is from 6 years ago and there is nothing that has fully determined that the person died because of hazing and sleep deprivation. If it is proven, it is very unfortunate but to blame the university or fraternity alumni for it is ridiculous. I have certainly not heard of any planned sexual assaults either. Our old fraternity was kicked off for over a year for covid violations though....

15. Default Re: Are you ready for some football?

Hazing is a very broad term. What the university of La defines as hazing La st and La tech might not. I think everyone should agree to ZERO activity that could put someone's life in danger or harm in any way. ZERO activity of forced feed alcohol.... But if you are above cleaning a toilet or moping a floor and report that as hazing, which is why one fraternity got suspended, you probably shouldn't have joined. I mean its a freaking house with 40 to 50 college age boys in and out of it, someone's got to clean it and they all had their turn.
    …….In regards to the Greek situation, there are a bunch of old KSig guys that gather and tailgate before all the baseball games……yes the stories are repeated and seem to get embellished every year…..during football there is a KSig tent and an excellent turn out comes to the games representing many decades…..Geaux Cajuns!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information