Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Baseball uniforms

Default Re: Baseball uniforms

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    With where sports has gone since, him loaning his car keys to players should put him in the NCAA Hall of Fame and Compassion.
    I was a toddler when all that was going on so I don’t remember first hand. I did read Ron Gomez’s book and several other articles over the years. That is the first time I have heard Shipley got the death penalty for loaning his car keys to players.

2. Default Re: Baseball uniforms

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    I was a toddler when all that was going on so I don’t remember first hand. I did read Ron Gomez’s book and several other articles over the years. That is the first time I have heard Shipley got the death penalty for loaning his car keys to players.
    Yep

3. Default Re: Baseball uniforms

With where sports has gone since, him loaning his car keys to players should put him in the NCAA Hall of Fame and Compassion.
    Many of the NCAA violations were due to the extreme Jim Crow laws in place at the time. Shipley was a freedom fighter even if his fights also helped him as a coach.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Nope, they weren't through the Fletcher years. You can go back and look at photos during the Paschal and Hatfield from 1975-1986 and they never wore any uniforms with black trim anywhere. It was Vermilion and White.
    With black trim

5. Default Re: Baseball uniforms

Quote Originally Posted by Datt Meggs View Post
    With black trim
    I don't believe you are correct.

I scanned every yearbook from the era and none (so far) show the trim you speak of.

People roug

I don't believe you are correct.

I scanned every yearbook from the era and none (so far) show the trim you speak of.
    I will have to take a pic of my blackham poster when I get home later.

Yep
    I am sure there had to be more than that? The NCAA would have looked silly to issue the death penalty for that.

8. Default Re: Baseball uniforms

. . . he may have had 6 or 7 cars . . .

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    I am sure there had to be more than that? The NCAA would have looked silly to issue the death penalty for that.
    The university threw coach shipley and coach cox under the bus. Read the book and if you get a chance to talk to Tom Cox (asst. coach) with Shipley you will be so angry to what the university did to them and the program.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    The university threw coach shipley and coach cox under the bus. Read the book and if you get a chance to talk to Tom Cox (asst. coach) with Shipley you will be so angry to what the university did to them and the program.
    Read the book and he admitted to a number of violations, regardless of his motivation.

Read the book and he admitted to a number of violations, regardless of his motivation.
    no support from the university and I'll go as far and say they were involved in reporting shipley to the NCAA. Nothing warranted the death penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Datt Meggs View Post
    With black trim
    Nope, I don't remember any black trim. One of the Rebounders Clubs members has an Andrey Toney jersey with his signature framed. Its Vermilion and White, with stripes in the same color combination. There is no black trim.

These are the throwback, the old uniforms did not have the fleur de lis. This is no black.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

13. Default Re: Baseball uniforms

Back then car keys and a little cash were serious violations.

They accused the school of 100 in all. Most of the 100 were many time duplicates.

Back then car keys and a little cash were serious violations.

They accused the school of 100 in all. Most of the 100 were many time duplicates.
    One of my many conversations with Tom Cox was he stated a kid needed a bus ticket back to his hometown for a family emergency and Coach Shipley or someone else on the staff bought the young many the ticket. Violation yes, kind, absolutely! Because of Shipley recruiting black players against USLs unwritten rule, the NCAA and the university wanted to make an example out of him and his program to matter the cost.

15. Default Re: Baseball uniforms

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    One of my many conversations with Tom Cox was he stated a kid needed a bus ticket back to his hometown for a family emergency and Coach Shipley or someone else on the staff bought the young many the ticket. Violation yes, kind, absolutely! Because of Shipley recruiting black players against USLs unwritten rule, the NCAA and the university wanted to make an example out of him and his program to matter the cost.
    Yep. Another time he paid for moving costs.

Wooo

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information