Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mid Majors vs. Transfer Portal

Default Re: Mid Majors vs. Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    The top P5's have nothing to lose all to gain, the G5's lose their best starters each year. Sounds like G5's won't be able to compete on the field, especially against P5's. Another plus for the P5's. UL is now essentially a Junior College athletically with a R1 designated University academically.
    It is still a zero sum game, unless the number of scholarships go up OR there are D1 recruits that forgo a scholarship because they are getting so much NIL money.

Players who are 'next in line' at a P5 program that get denied an opportunity to a transfer portal player will start looking. It is a waterfall effect and I think G5 teams might be able to cherry pick the portal, especially after Spring practices when I expect the next wave to hit.

2. Default Re: Mid Majors vs. Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    It is still a zero sum game, unless the number of scholarships go up OR there are D1 recruits that forgo a scholarship because they are getting so much NIL money.

Players who are 'next in line' at a P5 program that get denied an opportunity to a transfer portal player will start looking. It is a waterfall effect and I think G5 teams might be able to cherry pick the portal, especially after Spring practices when I expect the next wave to hit.
    I like your "waterfall effect" description because that is exactly what will occur.

Most of our players will sit behind better talent at p5’s and the p5’s will have transfers that sat behind the same talent. It’s a matter of wether or not Dez wants to get guys in the portal. I’m getting the feeling he doesn’t but if it gets bad enough he may have too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    Most of our players will sit behind better talent at p5’s and the p5’s will have transfers that sat behind the same talent. It’s a matter of wether or not Dez wants to get guys in the portal. I’m getting the feeling he doesn’t but if it gets bad enough he may have too.
    Recruiting the portal should not be a knee-jerk response, but part of an overall plan. Some years may be more applicable than others. There is a need to balance HS and portal scholarships.

I am not a fan of one year left players (they would need to be immediate and high impact players). It has already been said, but if there are players in there that you recruited already and have a good feel for, that seems to make the most sense.

5. Default Re: Mid Majors vs. Transfer Portal

UL's best players, the ones we lost > The P5 players never getting playing time.
    Pure speculation.

Recruiting the portal should not be a knee-jerk response, but part of an overall plan. Some years may be more applicable than others. There is a need to balance HS and portal scholarships.

I am not a fan of one year left players (they would need to be immediate and high impact players). It has already been said, but if there are players in there that you recruited already and have a good feel for, that seems to make the most sense.
    In general, I feel better about those who have graduated. More mature I’ve had enough discipline to get their degree and you have a better idea of what they can contribute.

I would take two kind of guys in the portal: 1. Guys I recruited out of high school who have potential and still have 3 or 4 years left. 2. Grad transfers that fill immediate needs.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Pure speculation.
    99% of what is said on this forum is speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    It could go spectacularly wrong for many P5's whacking the piñata. Let's take Mekhi Garner. Going to LSU. He has not seen anywhere near the caliber of WR's while playing here. He has one offseason, and previously attained bad habits to deal with. If he starts...he's going to be brutalized by the SEC. That goes for everyone but the RB's. The learning curve is going to destroy them...and they will regret it. Karma...is a _____.
    Garner will play on Sundays. He will be solid for Lsu

In LSU's particular case, they are so depleted at CB, that Garner is a good pickup for them, as they need depth and quality.

In general, I agree with your points, especially if a G5 'stud' is going to P5 powerhouse.

Of all the transfers, I think Bailey could be the biggest winner. He could be the featured back, at a P5 school. I am not sure of Des' thoughts on rotating RB's, so that could be a big benefit for him.
    I can think a number of busts at the Grad Transfer level, little Wes Welker type from the MAC who went to Alabama...and did nothing. Torched his draft stock.

Edit: Dieter was his name. Didn't get drafted, practice squad for the Chiefs.

99% of what is said on this forum is speculation.
    Including your speculations.

If LSU continues to have seasons like the last 2 years, and Louisiana continues to be ranked at the end of the season, hopefully you will begin to see a shift. The best in the state will continue to be right here. We have to keep the momentum going!

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    If LSU continues to have seasons like the last 2 years, and Louisiana continues to be ranked at the end of the season, hopefully you will begin to see a shift. The best in the state will continue to be right here. We have to keep the momentum going!
    I speculate and fear this NIL/transfer Portal is NOT going to go well for UL beginning next season.
    I sure hope Dez and staff figures out a way to at LEAST minimize the damage of having these 7+ players leaving

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Including your speculations.
    Maybe I have to explain this to you, when I said 99%, that includes mine and guess what? It includes yours too.

15. Default Re: Mid Majors vs. Transfer Portal

NIL and the transfer portal as it stands today is in no way good for G5 schools. G5’s have just become another JUCO school for the big schools to cherry pick players from.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information