Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Montrell Johnson portalets out to Florida

Default Re: Montrell

So currently who is our NIL booster club president? Any clue? Sounds like we got some work to do in that area.

2. Default Re: Montrell

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    If an offensive lineman can make $50,000 a year at Texas with an NIL deal, would he sit the bench as a third stringer rather than go to a G-5 that can't offer this kind of deal?
    G5 is the right choice if it means he was going to forego millions in the NFL for $50G now.

It is the same principle why kids go to college instead of hitting the workforce full time right out of high school.

Not everyone is like me

Bailey is the better back anyway. Please don’t leave us, Emani…

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    G5 is the right choice if it means he was going to forego millions in the NFL for $50G now.
    Is this like trying your luck in the late rounds of the MLB draft? Maybe a little guaranteed money in it for you (like an NIL deal,) but you'll uplift your life to go to a new school with new coaches and may not see playing time because you're lost in a depth chart of 4-5 star players with bigger NIL deals than you and need playing time to promote their brand?

I see it as you've got a good thing going. You're a star on scholarship at a school with a hand full of running backs in the NFL today. Get a good education, get better at your position, continue to get exposure as a star player and stick with your teammates.

Someone asked the question "have you ever left one job for a better job?" Sure. Who hasn't? But is it always a good decision in retrospect? Sometimes not. The lure of a bit of money and/or more recognition isn't always the path to success. There are potential consequences to every decision like that. It may work out really well, but you may find out quick that there is some truth to the whole "grass is always greener" saying. I feel like more players with this crazy, instantaneous transfer portal will find out that it's the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    You don't understand how baseball schollys work. Only 11 are allocated for the team. Vast majority of players are lucky to get 1/3rd of a scholarship. In football every player is on a full ride. They can't give out partials. It will most certainly come into play as much if not more than it does in football.
    Thanks for turning my day from bad to worse!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGrad16 View Post
    Nope he doesn’t. None of the players have to sit out
    I can't remember if Garner was a recruit or he transferred from somewhere but if he transferred, he'd have to sit out one year.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I can't remember if Garner was a recruit or he transferred from somewhere but if he transferred, he'd have to sit out one year.
    He transferred in from another school. Before the Portal was enacted.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    He transferred in from another school. Before the Portal was enacted.
    Isn't there a one time transfer rule as it pertains to eligibility? I thought you could transfer once without sitting out but if you do it again, you'd have to sit out?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Isn't there a one time transfer rule as it pertains to eligibility? I thought you could transfer once without sitting out but if you do it again, you'd have to sit out?
    First, I think he came from a JC, so that would alleviate the transfer limit you reference.

Two, when they allowed one transfer in the transfer portal without sitting out , it reset the counter for everyone, whether you had transferred or not.

Really disappointed Montrell is leaving, I was looking forward to his career with us. How many players are transferring now??

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoCajun View Post
    Really disappointed Montrell is leaving, I was looking forward to his career with us. How many players are transferring now??
    Only know of 4 that entered transfer portal. BJ said that McCaskill was looking to play closer to home as well

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#Fired View Post
    Only know of 4 that entered transfer portal. BJ said that McCaskill was looking to play closer to home as well
    McCaskill is a different situation, but he did tweet today that he has tough decisions to make. I hope he stays because he is a good leader.

I am interested to see where he lands. Florida needed OL and CB help. I don't know if they are in as dire need at RB. Maybe the Carencro kid is just as talented and he wants to be the lone back. I don't know if this is a Florida lure as much as I want more playing time somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    McCaskill is a different situation, but he did tweet today that he has tough decisions to make. I hope he stays because he is a good leader.
    Yeah and I wouldn't hate McCaskill for leaving because I know his reasons are genuine. He probably knows he won't play in the pros, so he would love to play with some of his old buddies and play closer to home.

That being said, I would love love love to have him back. Dude is such a passionate player and

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#Fired View Post
    Yeah and I wouldn't hate McCaskill for leaving because I know his reasons are genuine. He probably knows he won't play in the pros, so he would love to play with some of his old buddies and play closer to home.

That being said, I would love love love to have him back. Dude is such a passionate player and
    IDK, man he was the SBC freshman of the year.

EDIt: responded to and quoted the wrong post. Sorry

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information