Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: MBB OT Final : Louisiana 76, SMU 72

1. Default Re: MBB OT Final : Louisiana 76, SMU 72

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    Man, that guy ployed into MT!
    To also put this in persective, last year we averaged 15.6 turnovers per game. That is almost cutting your turnovers by 25% year over year. I'll take that, currently we are ranked 80th out of 363 D-1 college basketball teams in turnovers per game. That is the top 25% of teams in the country.

Default Re: MBB Final : Louisiana 76, SMU 72

Agree on the grow up game. The bench was absolutely huge in this game and it wasn’t all stuff that shows up in the box score but it sure does in the + -.

Charles +11
    Thomas +11
    Dalcourt +17

3. Default Re: MBB OT Final : Louisiana 76, SMU 72

We outscored their bench 19-4

Default Re: MBB OT Final : Louisiana 76, SMU 72

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    In the current world of college basketball 12 in not a bunch of turnovers. I have been impressed with the fact that as a team we have cut down on the unnecessary turnovers this season.

As a team we have a total of 58 through 5 games or roughly 11.6 per game. We have forced 70 turnovers on the season or average of 14 per game.

The blocks could be concerning but most of those were Thomas and/or Fulks getting in amongst the trees and getting stuck without a passing option. Those are mistakes that can be unlearned. But they are trying to make things happen with our bigs and/or three point shooters.
    He was talking about our defense.

To put the turnovers in perspective. On the season.

Duke has 61 turnovers through 5 games. 12 per.

UNC has 39 through 4 games. 10 per

Gonzaga has 70 through 4 games. 17 per.

I can live with 12 per as long as they aren’t careless turnovers. Turnovers come in all shapes and sizes. For instance the turnover that SMU got early in the 2nd half was a mix of carelessness on our part and a great play on theirs. The turnover (charge) that Michael Thomas took and the play by joe Charles late in the game were just great plays. The play where SMU through the ball away on a fast break and the one where they stepped out of bounds on a fast break were 100% carelessness. If we eliminate the careless ones or at least cut down on them I am fine with 10-12 per game. It is the careless ones that kill you. So far we have done a good job of keeping those to a minimum.
    Marlin has stated he wants to be around 18+ assists and 12 or less turnovers per game. That is the team goal. They seem to be meeting that right now.

6. Default Re: MBB OT Final : Louisiana 76, SMU 72

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    He was talking about our defense.
    You are correct, I misread his post.

Those threes from the corner were daggers. That’s a team that knows how to win a game. I’m pumped.

Jeaux Charles with the prettiest ugly shot

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Charles was a difference maker last night with his defense. He is a very good defender.

Quote Originally Posted by Million$Mullet View Post
    Nothing pretty about that shot, haha

11. Default Re: MBB OT Final : Louisiana 76, SMU 72

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfever View Post
    Charles was a difference maker last night with his defense. He is a very good defender.
    What I really like about this team is the fact that we have guards that are capable of handling the ball even when Thomas and Fulks don't. Williams, Dalcourt and Garnett can all be capable ball handlers while on the court. And they are all fairly good distributors of the basketball. That being said, Jordan Brown is a great passer from the post position as well.

Joe Charles has the ugliest shot, but it is very good. Hell Kentrell Garnett's shot is not pretty either, but I have confidence every time he shoots it.

Williams was spectacular late in the game last night, that 3 from the corner off the curl, was huge. He barely had time to square up to hit it. And it looked like he was doing it with one eye half shut.

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajun97 View Post
    Lewis actually came back in late I’m pretty sure.
    He did not. Joe ChArles was in the game at the end of regulation and OT. Lewis was on the bench supporting his teammates. That in itself is encouraging

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    He did not. Joe ChArles was in the game at the end of regulation and OT. Lewis was on the bench supporting his teammates. That in itself is encouraging
    He wasn't on the bench, dude was everywhere but sitting. He seems to be a great teammate

UL Golf Re: MBB OT Final : Louisiana 76, SMU 72

To also put this in persective, last year we averaged 15.6 turnovers per game. That is almost cutting your turnovers by 25% year over year. I'll take that, currently we are ranked 80th out of 363 D-1 college basketball teams in turnovers per game. That is the top 25% of teams in the country.
    Last year we started Greg Williams JR at point early in year. Then we went to undersized Trajan Wesley. Our run in the tournament occurred with Michael Thomas playing more. This season we have decided to go with whoever is more effective between Fulks and Thomas depending on matchups. Much more stable situation than a year ago leading to fewer turnovers. By the way, below 12 is our goal. Last night we had only four in second half and OT. Winning basketball there.

OK...y'all covered just about everything about this game and our season so far except for our other big man from NY. I was hoping to see more from him this year, but so far he hasn't made much of an impact.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread Information