Thread: UL running backs corps confident it can extend productive era despite key departures

1. UL Football UL running backs corps confident it can extend productive era despite key departures

As logical an assumption as it may seem to the outside world, the running back room is not something the UL Ragin’ Cajuns spend any time worrying about.

Last week’s pro day featured two of the program’s all-time best running backs Elijah Mitchell and Trey Ragas. That meant those two huge contributions to UL’s potent rushing attack are gone.

Default Re: UL running backs corps confident it can extend productive era despite key departures

I'm pulling for Wisham to come through and shine this year. The kid has shown he can run the ball and he seems to be a very unselfish player. I like him to be in the mold of Ragas and pound the ball. He'll be one of the biggest backs we have and that power component is so important to our success.

Default Re: UL running backs corps confident it can extend productive era despite key departures

Probably an unrealistic thought, but if we can continue running the football in 2021 the way we did the previous two seasons, AND have a returning, more experienced receiving core...look out!

Hopefully defense stays solid, Levi improves a bit more with another Spring under Coach Napier's guidance, and we MUST STAY HEALTHY.

We our projected starting team, we should be able to play with pretty much anyone in the country outside of maybe the Top 8-10 and have at least a shot to pull out a W. However, a Sunbelt program, even with what Coach has built, just isn't going to have the resources to have the stacked bench depth of your top-tier P5 programs. We need the football gods to help us out a bit on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Probably an unrealistic thought, but if we can continue running the football in 2021 the way we did the previous two seasons, AND have a returning, more experienced receiving core...look out!

Hopefully defense stays solid, Levi improves a bit more with another Spring under Coach Napier's guidance, and we MUST STAY HEALTHY.

We our projected starting team, we should be able to play with pretty much anyone in the country outside of maybe the Top 8-10 and have at least a shot to pull out a W. However, a Sunbelt program, even with what Coach has built, just isn't going to have the resources to have the stacked bench depth of your top-tier P5 programs. We need the football gods to help us out a bit on that front.
    We will have to do better on Offense this year to beat Texas . I would love to have a defense and special teams showing like we did against Iowa state but that probably wont happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post

RB ability and experience take a hit, but every other offensive position group should be better. Honestly, didn’t think our OL played that well last year. Coach Looney passing had a big personal and football impact, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I'm pulling for Wisham to come through and shine this year. The kid has shown he can run the ball and he seems to be a very unselfish player. I like him to be in the mold of Ragas and pound the ball. He'll be one of the biggest backs we have and that power component is so important to our success.
    I like Wisham, but he is nothing more than a special teams player. I would say he is probably 4th/5th on depth chart at best. I dont think he is better than the 3 freshman backs we signed

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#Fired View Post
    I like Wisham, but he is nothing more than a special teams player. I would say he is probably 4th/5th on depth chart at best. I dont think he is better than the 3 freshman backs we signed
    Wisham is definitely not in the top 2 or 3 in talent. However, I think he has the trust of Coach Napier to not make mistakes, pick up blitzes, etc. I don't think that can be underestimated.

Remember knock on Mitchell is picking up blitz and blocking. Big part of having an effective offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#Fired View Post
    IDK. He looked pretty darn good a couple years ago when he got in the rotation from time to time. I have trouble comparing to freshmen who haven't stepped on the field yet and Wisham seems to be the biggest of the returning and incoming backs which could put him in a semi Ragas role.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    RB ability and experience take a hit, but every other offensive position group should be better. Honestly, didn’t think our OL played that well last year. Coach Looney passing had a big personal and football impact, IMO.
    I agree. I don't think the line played to their ability, especially in the passing game as I think that was a reason why Levi's completion percentages were slightly down as he was on the run a lot early in the play before guys got open.

Thread Information