Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: UCF joins the Sunbelt for Soccer

Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

Don’t know the demographics today, but 2 decades back we had 3K+ kids playing soccer with LYSA/CSC. It’s an easy sport for the young. Throw a ball out there, tell them to run and kick the ball in a net. No mommy keeping a scorebook like rag ball or basketball. When they hit U-9, that’s where the herd thins down quickly. Bigger field, more running and really learn the game.

So yes, a very popular game young, but long term not a favorite amongst American majority.

2. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    source?
    Here is, an interesting article.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...h=7593bc6e17f1

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    This article is dated, 2019 and concerns professional soccer. It has nothing to do with collegiate sports. MLS has done well in certain markets and no so well in others. The international games has grown more popular, but according to this article " in a 2018 Gallup poll, 7% of Americans cited soccer as their favorite sport to watch. That doesn't exactly help your market.

4. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    This article is dated, 2019 and concerns professional soccer. It has nothing to do with collegiate sports. MLS has done well in certain markets and no so well in others. The international games has grown more popular, but according to this article " in a 2018 Gallup poll, 7% of Americans cited soccer as their favorite sport to watch. That doesn't exactly help your market.
    I only claimed it was interesting but considering percentages, 34% of Americans claim football as their favorite sport and Louisiana draws 35,000 peak crowds and 15,000 everyday crowds.

Using those same "favorite" percentage numbers, it could be foreseen that Soccer would draw 7,000 peak crowds and 3,000 everyday crowds.

Lack of lifestyle history is what would keep those numbers lower.

IMHO, this is just another thread for a summer time irrelevant topic. I don’t want to disrespect those that enjoy soccer, but men’s soccer will more than likely not ever be a part of UL athletics during any of our lifetime’s.

6. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

In a perfect scenario very few of current Louisiana fans (who already have their favorite sports staked out) would be interested.

There is always 'some' fan overlap but UL should be looking for fan infusion not fan diffusion.

That is the formula on how they will grow academic contributions.

I know I'd have season tickets from day 1, and I suspect we'd average more than softball after a few years.
    Not taking advantage of this opportunity would be USLing bigger than this athletic department has ever USL'd.
    We have an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of southern college soccer in our own conference. To me, it's a no-brainer.

8. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

Timing almost always trumps preparedness.

Since when is 2019 dated

Also have to keep in mind that the World Cup will be in the US in '26. That'll create even more soccer fans around here. I plan to take a leave from work during the Cup and travel from venue to venue. It'll be amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaB View Post
    Since when is 2019 dated
    Its very dated.....Gas was only $1.89 in 2019.

Was a Marshall fan trolling RP? Good ____…let’s not forget what happened after that hit-stick we provided them on Special Teams during the ‘21 NOLA Bowl. I don’t think they moved the chains after that shot…soft soft. Will…imposed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantstandza View Post
    Also have to keep in mind that the World Cup will be in the US in '26. That'll create even more soccer fans around here. I plan to take a leave from work during the Cup and travel from venue to venue. It'll be amazing.
    Road trip baw. Count me in

I like soccer but let's face it, the Cajuns will never have the money to start up and maintain the program. Attendance would also be very low. Go to any local high school game most folks don't care.

15. Default Re: UCF joins the SunBelt....

This is Louisiana's chance to get international exposure.

Initially the rest of the world may be more interested in this than US residents will be.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread Information