2. UL Baseball The Book: 2002 Baseball

DateOpponentLocationBox Score
    Feb. 8-10 (Fri.-Sun) AstrosCollegeClassic (Astros Field) Houston, Texas  
    Feb. 8 (Fri.) vs. TexasTech Astros Field W, 4-3
    Feb. 9 (Sat.) vs. TexasA&M Astros Field L, 2-3
    Feb. 10 (Sun.) vs. Texas Astros Field W, 4-3
    Feb.15 (Fri.) CENTRAL FLORIDA MOORE FIELD W, 6-4
    Feb. 16 (Sat.) CENTRAL FLORIDA MOORE FIELD W, 6-3
    Feb. 17 (Sun.) CENTRAL FLORIDA MOORE FIELD W, 4-3 (10)
    Feb. 20 (Wed.) LOUISIANA-MONROE MOORE FIELD L, 6-10
    Feb. 22-24 (Fri.-Sun.) Coca-Cola Classic (Hosted by Rice) Houston, Texas  
    Feb. 22 (Fri.) at Rice RecklingPark L, 7-10
    Feb. 23 (Sat.) vs. Texas-Arlington RecklingPark W, 6-5
    Feb. 24 (Sun.) vs. South Florida RecklingPark W, 6-2
    March 2 (Sat.) UT-PAN AMERICAN(DH -- Game1) MOORE FIELD W, 5-1
    March 2 (Sat.) UT-PAN AMERICAN(DH -- Game 2) MOORE FIELD W, 12-5
    March 3 (Sun.) TEXAS-PAN AMERICAN MOORE FIELD W, 13-3
    March 5 (Tues.) SOUTHERN MOORE FIELD W, 10-1
    March 8 (Fri.) HOUSTON MOORE FIELD L, 2-5
    March 9 (Sat.) HOUSTON MOORE FIELD L, 3-7
    March 10 (Sun.) HOUSTON MOORE FIELD L, 8-9
    March 12 (Tues.) Louisiana State Baton Rouge, La. W, 2-1
    March 15 (Fri.) WichitaState Wichita, Kan. L, 1-6
    March 16 (Sat.) WichitaState Wichita, Kan. L, 1-3
    March 17 (Sun.) WichitaState Wichita, Kan. W, 9-7
    March 19 (Tues.) Louisiana State MOORE FIELD W, 7-0
    March 22 (Fri.) * NEW ORLEANS MOORE FIELD W, 7-2
    March 23 (Sat.) * NEW ORLEANS MOORE FIELD W, 6-5
    March 24 (Sun.) * NEW ORLEANS MOORE FIELD L, 2-4
    March 26 (Tues.) TULANE MOORE FIELD W, 12-2
    March 27 (Wed.) Tulane New Orleans, La. W, 5-4 (10)
    March 29 (Fri.) * FloridaInternational Miami, Fla. W, 4-1
    March 30 (Sat.) * FloridaInternational Miami, Fla. W, 9-4
    March 31 (Sun.) * FloridaInternational Miami, Fla. L, 7-9
    April 2 (Tues.) LAMAR MOORE FIELD L, 3-8
    April 3 (Wed.) McNEESE STATE MOORE FIELD W, 12-9
    April 9 (Tues.) McNeeseState Lake Charles, La. W, 6-3
    April 10 (Wed.) Louisiana-Monroe Monroe, La. L, 6-7
    April 12 (Fri.) * Arkansas-Little Rock Little Rock, Ark. W, 10-6
    April 13 (Sat.) * Arkansas-Little Rock Little Rock, Ark. L, 2-3 (10)
    April 14 (Sun.) * Arkansas-Little Rock Little Rock, Ark. W, 10-5 (13)
    April 16 (Tue.) Lamar Beaumont, Texas L, 8-10
    April 19 (Fri.) * NEW MEXICOSTATE MOORE FIELD W, 6-3
    April 20 (Sat.) * NEW MEXICOSTATE MOORE FIELD W, 2-1
    April 21 (Sun.) * NEW MEXICOSTATE MOORE FIELD W, 7-6 (10)
    April 23 (Tues.) Southern Baton Rouge, La. L, 4-9
    April 26 (Fri.) * Middle Tennessee Murfreesboro, Tenn. W, 5-0
    April 27 (Sat.) * Middle Tennessee Murfreesboro, Tenn. W, 15-6
    April 28 (Sun.) * Middle Tennessee Murfreesboro, Tenn. W, 11-3
    May 3 (Fri.) * WESTERN KENTUCKY MOORE FIELD L, 4-5
    May 4 (Sat.) * WESTERN KENTUCKY MOORE FIELD W, 5-1
    May 5 (Sun.) * WESTERN KENTUCKY MOORE FIELD W, 4-3
    May 7 (Tues.) NICHOLLSSTATE MOORE FIELD W, 4-3
    May 10 (Fri.) * South Alabama Mobile, Ala. L, 1-5
    May 11 (Sat.) * South Alabama Mobile, Ala. W, 15-8
    May 12 (Sun.) * South Alabama Mobile, Ala. L, 3-4
    May 14 (Tues.) NichollsState Thibodaux, La. W, 6-5
    May 18 (Sat.) * ARKANSASSTATE(DH -- Game 1) MOORE FIELD W, 8-6
    May 18 (Sat.) * ARKANSASSTATE(DH -- Game 2) MOORE FIELD W, 4-3
    May 19 (Sun.) * ARKANSASSTATE MOORE FIELD L, 6-9
    May 22 (Wed.) vs. Arkansas State -- SBC Tourney Mobile, Ala. L, 3-10
    May 23 (Thurs.) vs. Western Kentucky -- SBC Tourney Mobile, Ala. L, 1-2 (10)
    May 31(Fri.) vs. Tulane -- NCAA Regionals Baton Rouge, La. W, 6-3
    June 1 (Sat.) at LSU -- NCAA Regionals Baton Rouge, La. W, 5-0
    June 2 (Sun.) at LSU -- NCAA Regionals Baton Rouge, La. L, 2-12
    June 2 (Sun.) at LSU -- NCAA Regionals Baton Rouge, La. L, 2-12

3. Default

For those who leave during or as soon as the game is over, you may or may not be aware of the hard work the players put in after games. Some day check out the Louisiana ball players keeping up the diamond after a game. For some the total time spent was near 15-20 minutes.

4. NCAA

Western Kentucky wins the first of a triple-header against Louisiana 5-4.

While WKU was not used to large crowds they were a confident bunch and it showed. Coming into Friday night’s tilt, the Hill Toppers had won 5 straight Friday games.

The Cajuns countered that confidence with the solid pitching of Justin Gabriel who had won 5 straight Friday games himself.

Although Louisiana struck first in the bottom of the fourth, the eight innings of firm pitching by Sunbelt conference strikeout leader Ryan Bicondoa, along with a couple of errors by the Cajuns proved to be just a bit more than the Cajuns could handle.

However this is baseball and there are two winnable games left in the series if the Cajuns wish to redeem themselves.

The winning team capitalizes on the opponent’s errors again and ends up with an identical 5 run game that results in a win.

Except this time it was Louisiana that played error free ball and WKU did not. Redemption is at hand, thanks to splendid pitching by Andy Gros.

The Cajuns are in a position to win yet another conference series, and pad their record setting performance of 2002.

What a difference a day makes.

Trade the errors and trade the win.

5. Default

In Sunday's game Shambough who came in to relieve Coles did an excellent job. He shut down the Topper bats and if i remember correctly walked very few if any. I hope we can keep this drive going through the next two weekend series and finish out on top in the Sunbelt.

6. UL Baseball

PattiTatum I looked for you yesterday I interviewed Todd after the game.

Cajun reliever Schambough didn't know how long he would be out there, but in the end it was pitch-pitch wiz-wiz oh what a reliever he is. Cajuns win 4-3

Six and a third innings of shutout ball coupled with some timely 8th inning hits and a couple of WKU errors proved to be the difference for these similarly styled teams.

Louisiana now stands at 32-16 overall and 14-4 in Sunbelt play.

The weekend looked like this
    WKU beat the Cajuns 5-4 in Friday night's opener.
    Louisiana won 5-1 on Saturday.
    Louisiana 4-3 winners on Sunday.

The Sunday win again temporarily boosted the Cajuns into first place in the conference.

USA and Louisiana meet Friday, in Mobile for a series that could go a long way towards settling this juggle-jam at the top.

7. Default

Turbine-
    I stood right behind you when you interviewed Todd. I did not know it was you until after. I had stepped into the pressbox to wait and keep cool.
    What was the interview for?

I am going to be at that South Alabama series this weekend. From what I have been told it will be some great baseball. I am planning on coming in for the last series with Arkansas State but I will probable only get to see Saturday and Sunday. Friday night games are too early for me to drive from New Orleans and make it on time.

8. UL Baseball Tim Ramon gets off to a great start

Cajuns win 4-3

Ragin' Cajun senior pitcher Tim Ramon appeared on the mound for the first time in nearly two and one-half months. It had been since the end of February that elbow surgery kept him off the mound. He is recovering nicely.

After a masterful first inning, Ramon went on to throw two more innings, in doing so he hurled four strikeouts and only allowed three hits.

The three innings were exactly what was hoped for, and the late hits given up were not unexpected due to the prolonged layoff.

Tim actually was within reach of throwing shutout ball, but towards the end of his stint Nicholls got across the plate twice.

There were a lot of questions answered last night, the remaining question is will the outing produce any ill effects in his continued recovery? Let’s hope not, glad to have you back Tim. Stay healthy.

9. Louisiana A quick interview of "T.H." after the Western Kentucky series

A quick (audio) interview of Louisiana's (middle inning) game caller Todd Hamilton after the 2002 Western Kentucky baseball series at Tigue Moore Field.

10. Default

I am usually around after the games and I see what goes on with the team and those who work behind the scenes. A lot of time is spent by various individuals wrapping up just that game before they can move on to the next one. Not an easy job.

11. UL Baseball Louisiana vs South Alabama series

Game 1

South Alabama won the first game early, 5-1 and only had to hold on the rest of the way.

The difference in the game for me was good defense for South Alabama Jay & Todd were constantly (it seemed) giving out "red ?" awards.

Their pitcher allowed a lot of bat on balls 14 or so fly outs, but their defense got under every ball, or so it seemed. Errorless ball was the key.

Louisiana's starter Justin Gabriel gave up as many bat on balls but the defense was not where the balls were hit, thus he gave up eight hits, although only two came after the fourth inning.

As usual Jay & Todd called a great almost error free game. I heard Todd use "ULLafayette" for the first time in ages. But I also heard Jay use "Louisiana" a fair number of times.

Louisiana needs wins in the next two games if it hopes to go into the last series of the season in first place.

UL Baseball Game 2...

Chase Lambin comes up HUGE in the Cajuns victory in game 2!! Just need to concentrate on winning tomorrow and the Conference will be in our hands next week!!

UNIVERSITY OF LOUISIANA

UL Baseball

15-8 sure is nice. If Gabriel had gotten just 6 we would have won Saturday.

Does anyone know what our record would be if we scored 15 points every game?

14. Default

Turbine-I finally got to see the video clip. That is great. I wish you could do more of that for the last regular season games.

15. Default

A few rules on the running lane

The runner must be out of the lane AND cause interference.

He is not out simply for being outside the lane.

He could be called for interference even while in the lane. This is a judgment call.

The runner may step out of the lane a step or two before the base if he moves from within the lane to out of it.

If he is out of the lane the whole distance to the base and is hit with a throw, he should be out.

16. The running lane should enter an umpire’s decision-making process only when the ball is being fielded to first from behind the runner.

The lines are part of the lane.

A batter-runner is legally in the lane if he is hit by the throw while his left foot is touching the foul line or his right foot is touching the running-lane line.

A batter-runner is legally in the lane if he is hit by the throw while his left foot is in the air but would have come down touching the foul line or his right foot is in the air but would have come down touching the running-lane line. If the umpire determines that either of those examples would have landed outside the line then interference is the call.

The quality of the throw should help determine whether or not interference has occurred. If the throw had no chance of retiring the runner, the umpire should not call interference.

The batter-runner must leave the running lane the last step before reaching the base. When he is hit at that moment, the umpire should not call interference.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information