NCAA Regionals at Lafayette Champs
    NCAA Super Regionals at Columbia SC Champs
    NCAA College World Series 3rd place

COACH: Tony Robichaux
    Overall Record: 49-20
    SunBelt Conference: 20-10

2. UL Baseball

Feb. 26, 2000

LOUISIANA La. - The University of Oklahoma baseball team was held to their lowest hit total of the season at six and managed only one run off Louisiana starter Eric Templet in a 4-1 Saturday afternoon loss to the Ragin' Cajuns in Lafayette, Lous. Templet (4-0) picked up his first complete game win as No. 25 UL improved to 10-1 on the season and OU starter Austin Coose (2-2) took the loss on the mound for the Sooners, who fall to 6-4 on the year.

The Ragin' Cajuns scored two of their four runs on two solo home runs by rightfielder Ryan Gill and leftfielder Will Hawkins in the third and sixth innings, respectively. OU tallied their lone run in the sixth as a triple by shortstop Tommy Whiteman drove in centerfielder Jerome Godsey who had doubled in the previous at bat.

Whiteman and designated hitter Jeremy Vidales both turned in two-hit performances on the afternoon to pace the Sooners. Coose pitched the entire game and allowed only eight hits and three earned runs.

For UL, Hawkins' home run was part of a 2-for-3 effort with a run scored and three RBIs. Templet never allowed more than three baserunners in an inning and struck out six batters along the way.

OU and UL will wrap up the three-game series Sunday at 12 p.m. in Lafayette.

Oklahoma at Louisiana

Feb 26, 2000 at Lafayette, Lous. (Tigue Moore Field)

Score by innings: R H E

Oklahoma 000 001 000 - 1 6 1
    Louisiana 102 001 00 - 4 8 1

Oklahoma inning 1

Bartlett, J struck out looking. Godsey, J struck out swinging. Whiteman, T grounded out to 3b. 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, 0 LOB.

Louisiana-Lafayette inning 1

Feehan flied out to rf. Gill singled. Nelson reached on a fielder's choice, Gill out at second 3b to 2b. Larry reached on an error by ss, Nelson advanced to third. Hawkins singled, RBI, Larry advanced to second, Nelson scored, unearned. Hawkins advanced to second on a passed ball, Larry advanced to third on a passed ball. Poche grounded out to 2b. 1 run, 2 hits, 1 error, 2 LOB.

Oklahoma inning 2

Cochell, C pinch hit for Murphy, S. Cochell, C struck out swinging. Park, R walked. Joyner, E reached on an error by ss, Park, R advanced to second. Lekse, Z hit into double play 3b to 2b to 1b, Joyner, E out on the play. 0 runs, 0 hits, 1 error, 1 LOB.

Louisiana-Lafayette inning 2
    Cochell, C to lf. Haydel flied out to cf. Simoneaux grounded out to ss. Massiatte grounded out to 3b. 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, 0 LOB.

Oklahoma inning 3

Vidales, J singled. Haggard, C grounded out to 1b unassisted, SAC, bunt, Vidales, J advanced to second. Bartlett, J struck out looking. Godsey, J grounded out to 2b. 0 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors, 1 LOB.

Louisiana-Lafayette inning 3

Feehan flied out to cf. Gill homered, RBI. Nelson singled. Nelson stole second. Nelson advanced to third on a wild pitch. Larry walked. Hawkins flied out to lf, SF, RBI, Nelson scored. Poche grounded out to ss. 2 runs, 2 hits, 0 errors, 1 LOB.

Oklahoma inning 4

Whiteman, T singled. Cochell, C reached on a fielder's choice, Whiteman, T out at second ss to 2b. Park, R hit into double play ss to 2b to 1b, Cochell, C out on the play. 0 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors, 0 LOB.

Louisiana-Lafayette inning 4
    Haydel struck out swinging. Simoneaux grounded out to ss. Massiatte grounded out to 3b. 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, 0 LOB.

Oklahoma inning 5

Joyner, E struck out swinging. Lekse, Z flied out to rf. Vidales, J grounded out to p. 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, 0 LOB.

Louisiana inning 5

Feehan popped up to 2b. Gill flied out to cf. Nelson singled. Larry flied out to lf. 0 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors, 1 LOB.

Oklahoma inning 6

Haggard, C walked. Bartlett, J hit into double play ss to 2b to 1b, Haggard, C out on the play. Godsey, J doubled. Whiteman, T tripled, RBI, Godsey, J scored. Cochell, C grounded out to ss. 1 run, 2 hits, 0 errors, 1 LOB.

Louisiana inning 6

Hawkins homered, RBI. Poche struck out swinging. Haydel singled. Simoneaux singled, Haydel advanced to second. Simoneaux advanced to second on the throw, Haydel out at third c to 3b, caught stealing. Massiatte struck out swinging. 1 run, 3 hits, 0 errors, 1 LOB.

Oklahoma inning 7

Park, R flied out to lf. Joyner, E flied out to cf. Lekse, Z struck out looking. 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, 0 LOB.

Louisiana-Lafayette inning 7

Feehan flied out to cf. Gill flied out to cf. Nelson flied out to lf. 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, 0 LOB.

Oklahoma inning 8

Vidales, J singled. Haggard, C popped up to 1b. Bartlett, J flied out to lf. Godsey, J flied out to cf. 0 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors, 1 LOB.

Louisiana-Lafayette inning 8

Larry grounded out to p. Hawkins grounded out to 2b. Poche grounded out to 3b. 0 runs, 0 hits, 0 errors, 0 LOB.

Oklahoma inning 9

Bailey to lf for Hawkins. Whiteman, T grounded out to ss. Cochell, C lined out to ss. Park, R singled. Hooper, T pinch ran for Park, R. Joyner, E flied out to cf. 0 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors, 1 LOB.

Link broken

3. Default

Associated Press
    OMAHA, Neb. -- Clemson outfielder Casey Stone was suspended Thursday for one NCAA postseason game after his role in a pushing match that erupted following Louisiana-Lafayette's 5-4 victory over the Tigers.

The Ragin' Cajuns scored two runs in the bottom of the ninth Wednesday to eliminate Clemson from the College World Series.

Louisiana players celebrated around home plate, swarming Rick Haydel after he scored the winning run from first base on a throwing error.

Stone ran in from his outfield position and shoved Louisiana's Ryan Gill in the back, knocking him into Ragin' Cajuns coach Tony Robichaux and prompting a brief pushing match between the teams.

Coaches from both teams quickly broke up the fracas.

The NCAA Division I Baseball Committee reviewed the play several times and interviewed players and coaches from both teams before imposing a public reprimand and the suspension.

"You just hate for it to come to that, but you have to appreciate how quickly the NCAA moved," Robichaux said. "We were in meetings almost immediately and they were reviewing the tapes. The tape shows you what happened and takes the 'he said, she said' out of it."

The suspension does not apply to regular-season play, but will be enforced at Clemson's next postseason game in which Stone is eligible.

Being a junior, Stone likely will serve his suspension during next year's regional play, if the Tigers make the NCAA tournament

The rest of the Story

4. Default

OMAHA, Neb. -- A bunt that trickled halfway down the first-base line went a long way for Louisiana.

Steven Feehan's bunt single in the bottom of the ninth scored the tying and winning runs Wednesday as the Ragin' Cajuns earned at least one more game in their first College World Series with a 5-4 win over Clemson.

Meanwhile, in Wednesday's late game, Florida State eliminated Southern California with a 3-2 victory (see report below).

Clemson's Ryan Riley loses the ball as Louisiana's Steven Freehan steals second in the fifth. Freehan took third on the throwing error.

"We thought if we could tie it we could win it," Louisiana coach Tony Robichaux said. "Anything else from there would be extra for us. We got a lot extra after that."

The Ragin' Cajuns (49-19) extended their first CWS appearance and earned a rematch Thursday with Stanford, which beat Louisiana 6-4 in the opening round. Clemson was eliminated.

The play at the plate shocked the Tigers (51-18) and led to a scuffle between the two teams.

Feehan's bunt scored Jarvis Larry from third and Rick Haydel from first when pitcher Ryan Mottl's throw got past a diving Ryan Riley, who was rushing over from second to cover first.

Right fielder Justin Singleton fielded the ball and made the throw to the plate, but Haydel slid under the tag of catcher Brian Ellis.

"I just happened to get it in the right spot," Feehan said. "One bad throw and Rick did a great job of hustling in."

Clemson coach Jack Leggett stormed out of the dugout to argue the call, but home plate umpire Al Davis and the rest of crew quickly left the field.

Tempers flared as the Ragin' Cajuns celebrated at the plate and the despondent Tigers stood in shock. As he was running in from left field, Clemson's Casey Stone shoved Ryan Gill from behind, prompting a brief pushing match between the teams. The fracas was broken up quickly, but the Tigers stayed in the dugout for 20 minutes.

NCAA officials at the College World Series studied ESPN video in the ESPN production truck after the scuffle and determined that no punches were thrown. They saw a lot of pushing and shoving. They are determining now what, if any, disciplinary action they will take.

"Emotions got the best of both sides. Sometimes that happens," Leggett said. "As bad as you feel and as excited as they are, that was a tough way to end it."

Will Hawkins and Tommy Clark hit back-to-back homers and Feehan stole home for Louisiana, which is trying to become the first school since Minnesota in 1956 to win in its first CWS.

The Ragin' Cajuns are 7-1 in elimination games.

"I think you've got to give credit to the character of the players, they're ability to evaluate where they are and why they lost before," Robichaux said.

The Tigers (51-18) overcame 6 1/3 shutout innings by Justin Gabriel and erased a 3-0 deficit with a four-run seventh. Clemson is the second team from South Carolina to get knocked out of the NCAA tournament by the Cajuns.

Louisiana advanced to the CWS by upsetting top-ranked South Carolina in the super regional.

"There's no easy way to end a season, but this was particularly tough," Leggett said. "We have some very experienced players, but we didn't execute that final play very well."

Trey Bullinger (3-0) pitched a scoreless ninth for Louisiana.

Mottl (10-4), who started the Tigers in their opening round win over San Jose State, gave up one run on two hits.

Clemson freshman Jarrod Schmidt, pitching for the first time since May 28, had seven solid innings and was on track for the win before the rally in the bottom of the ninth.

Gabriel, who got an extra day's rest because of the game was rained out Tuesday, had a shutout going until the seventh when the Tigers scored all four of their runs.

Mike Calitri and Singleton scored on an error and Patrick Boyd and Ellis scored on a single by Khalil Green to give the Tigers a 4-3 lead.

After the homers by Hawkins and Clark with two outs in the fourth, Schmidt settled down and held them to just two more hits before being replaced by Steve Reba in the eighth. Schmidt got some help from Singleton, who leaped to catch two shots that were headed over the fence.

The Cajuns took a 2-0 lead in the fourth on the back-to-back homers by Hawkins and Clark, who both cleared the fence in right-center.

Louisiana went up 3-0 in the fifth when Feehan stole home with two outs.

The rest of the Story

5. UL Baseball 2000 College World Series

Does anyone have the video of Feehan? stealing home against Clemson in the college world series??

Default Re: 2000 College World Series

I sure hope so. I would love to see that again!

UL Baseball Re: 2000 College World Series

I have every game the Cajuns played in the '00 CWS

Default Re: 2000 College World Series

I'd also like a copy of those.

9. UL Baseball Re: Baseball 2000

Clemson vs Louisiana-Lafayette
    Jun 14, 2000 at Omaha, Neb. (Rosenblatt Stadium)

Clemson 4 (51-18) Louisiana-Lafayette 5 (49-19)

AB R H RBI AB R H RBI

Stone lf 4 0 0 0 Feehan cf 5 1 1 1
    Boyd cf 5 1 1 0 Gill 2b 4 0 0 0
    Greene 3b 4 0 3 2 Nelson 3b 3 0 0 0
    Baker ss 3 0 0 0 Massiatte c 4 0 2 0
    Riley 2b 4 0 0 0 Hawkins lf 4 1 2 1
    Calitri 1b 4 1 0 0 Bailey lf 0 0 0 0
    Singleton rf 1 1 0 0 Clark rf 4 1 1 1
    LeCroy dh 2 0 0 0 Larry dh 3 1 1 0
    Stanley dh 0 0 0 0 Atwood 1b 3 0 1 0
    Boozer dh 0 0 0 0 Simoneaux 1b 0 0 0 0
    Ellis c 4 1 0 0 Haydel ss 4 1 1 0
    Schmidt p/dh 0 0 0 0 Gabriel p 0 0 0 0
    Additon p 0 0 0 0 O'Brien p 0 0 0 0
    Reba p 0 0 0 0 Babin p 0 0 0 0
    Mottl p 0 0 0 0 Bullinger p 0 0 0 0

Totals...... 31 4 4 2 Totals...... 34 5 9 3

Score by innings: R H E
    ----------------------------------------------
    Clemson 000 000 400 - 4 4 3
    Louisiana-Lafayette 000 210 002 - 5 9 2
    ----------------------------------------------

Note: 1 out, 1 runner(s) LOB when the game ended.

E - Greene, Ellis, Mottl, Atwood, Haydel. DP - Clemson 1. LOB - Clemson 11,
    La-Lafayette 7. 2B - Greene 3. HR - Hawkins, Clark. SH - Baker, LeCroy,
    Simoneaux. SB - Singleton, Feehan 2, Nelson.

IP H R ER BB SO WP BK HP IBB AB BF Fly Gnd

Schmidt 7.0 6 3 3 1 4 1 0 0 0 27 28 10 6
    Additon 0.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    Reba 1.1 2 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 5 7 2 2
    Mottl L 0.0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 2 0 0

Gabriel 6.2 3 4 0 4 3 0 0 0 0 23 29 4 13
    O'Brien 1.0 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 4 5 1 1
    Babin 0.1 0 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 2 1 0
    Bullinger W 1.0 0 0 0 2 2 0 0 1 1 3 6 0 1

WP - Schmidt, O'Brien, Babin. HBP - by Bullinger (Riley).

Strikeouts - Baker 2, Riley, Calitri 3, Feehan 2, Atwood, Haydel. Walks -
    Stone, Greene, Baker, Calitri, Singleton 3, Schmidt, Nelson, Larry.

Umpires -
    Start: 3 pm ET Time: Attendance:
    Mottl faced 2 batters in the 9th.

The source

10. UL Baseball UL/Clemson 2000 College World Series question

I watched the whole game again on ragincajuns.com and wondered if anyone knows what really happened during the scuffle at the end of the game. I don't remember if I heard or not after it happened. If I did, then I forgot why. Clemson sore losers? Did one of our players do something to provoke it during the emotions?

Still one of the best baseball games I have ever seen and the gutsiness of the Cajuns on the basepaths still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck...

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UL/Clemson 2000 College World Series question

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCherokee
    I watched the whole game again on ragincajuns.com and wondered if anyone knows what really happened during the scuffle at the end of the game. I don't remember if I heard or not after it happened. If I did, then I forgot why. Clemson sore losers? Did one of our players do something to provoke it during the emotions?

Still one of the best baseball games I have ever seen and the gutsiness of the Cajuns on the basepaths still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck...
    Left Fielder for Clemp-sun got a really bad attitude after UL won. Pushed one of our guys in the back.(I believe)

Seriously, if you lose....be gracious, dont throw beer bottles at busses, and dont push opposing players in the back.

Z.

UL Baseball Re: UL/Clemson 2000 College World Series question

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21
    _ Left Fielder for Clemp-sun got a really bad attitude after UL won. Pushed one of our guys in the back.(I believe)
    Seriously, if you lose....be gracious, dont throw beer bottles at busses, and dont push opposing players in the back.

Z. _
    I think this says it all about the Clemson Tigers,

Sore losers who could not handle it. I guess taking the state of South Carolina out in less than two weeks was simply too much for them to handle.....

13. UL Baseball Re: UL/Clemson 2000 College World Series question

Quote Originally Posted by CajunCherokee

Casey Stone, the Clemson left fielder, was running off of the field from his position and delivered a running shove into the back of one of the Cajun players. I believe it was Ryan Gil, but I am not sure. I saw some video of the incident shortly after it happened. The Omaha paper featured a scathing article condemning Stone and his cowardly action.

But you can rest assured that there was jawing coming from both dugouts for most of the game. That Cajun team had some swagger.

Brian

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UL/Clemson 2000 College World Series question

Quote Originally Posted by GoneGolfin
    Casey Stone, the Clemson left fielder, was running off of the field from his position and delivered a running shove into the back of one of the Cajun players. I believe it was Ryan Gil, but I am not sure. I saw some video of the incident shortly after it happened. The Omaha paper featured a scathing article condemning Stone and his cowardly action.

But you can rest assured that there was jawing coming from both dugouts for most of the game. That Cajun team had some swagger.

Brian
    Hopefully we can see some of that "swagger" in the coming weeks.

Z.

15. UL Baseball Re: UL/Clemson 2000 College World Series question

Here is a LINK to some of the 2000 stories.

The Clemson game is (I think) the 2nd post

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information