Thread: Baseball 1915

1. SLII 1901-1921 Baseball 1915

1-1
    coach: J.G. Lee

2. Default

Roster Robert Lowrey (Captain), Slattery Aleman (Manager), Clarence Bergeron, Russell Prejeant (sic), Jos. Drouet, Cyril Grouchy, Walter Billeaud, Alcee Dupuis, Lee Verret, Henry Siadous, Floyd Hawkins.

3. UL Baseball Re: Baseball 1915

The barnstorming Cincinnati Reds came through Lafayette, probably in 1915, to play an exhibition game against the Southwestern Louisiana Industrial Institute team. The old clipping I found is undated, but says that the “local boys” kept the game “interesting”

That’s even though the final score was 13 to 1 and it wasn’t in favor of the locals.

“Considering the odds the boys were up against, this was fine,” The Advertiser reported.

“The Institute boys were weak on batting and especially so in the last half of the game, when left-handed Frittery began shooting in his swift curves. The boys’ strong point was their good capable playing and Walter Billeaud, short stop [sic] made a feature catch that brought him a round of applause.

The rest of the story

C'est Vrai by Jim Bradshaw
    Jim Bradshaw
    jbradshaw@theadvertiser.com

Another game in March of 1916

Default Retro Pic

Pic of my grandfather Lee Verret, 3rd baseman and pitcher for SLII 1914-1915.... thanks to UL archives for this pic... thought it was kind of cool and wanted to share...

5. UL Baseball Re: Baseball 1915

Very cool Leeman.

Did you know he played against the MLB Reds?

Default Re: Baseball 1915

Turbine; No, I didn't know they played against the Reds...I'm sure my dad knows that though..lol...I'm sure he's got some stories I can translate here... It's funny that my grandfather's teammate was named "cyril grouchy".. My dad's name is "Cyril" coincidence?...

Addendum: My grandfather "Lee Verret" was the brother of Emile Verret who was lieutenant Governor of Louisiana '44-48...Who beat out Earl K long. He declared New Iberia as capital of Louisiana for a short period of time during hurricaine ____________ I can't remember...

Those are some pictures, I always like to see old pictures like that.

Thread Information