Thread: Football 1994

1. Default Football 1994

7-4

Coach: Nelson Stokley

The good news for 94 was that future NFL draftee Anthony Clement came on board as a raw freshman to help protect the QB Jake Delhomme. For the second straight year Jake led the team to 5-1 record in the Big West Conference and earned the Cajuns a share of the conference title, a far cry from the dismal 2-9 records of year’s prior.
    Big West Conference Champs

2. Default

Cats to face underrated Ragin' Cajuns
    WESS HUDELSON
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Collegian

A tougher test than fans may realize awaits K-State.

The Wildcats open the 1994 campaign against the Southwestern Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at KSU Stadium.

"I see a lot of things I don't like," Snyder said. "It really is a fine football team,"

The Cajun football team shared the Big West Conference championship last season with Utah State.

SW Louisiana recorded a 8-3 overall mark last year and 5-1 in the conference.

The Cajun football story sounds a bit like the story of the Cats. In 1992 the SW Louisiana posted a 2-9 mark.

The 10-team Big West includes future K-State opponent Nevada-Las Vegas, whom the Cats will face Nov. 26.

Unlike most teams in the conference, SW Louisiana specializes in pressure defense, Snyder said.

"They are going to be an aggressive football team on defense," Snyder said.

The Cajun defense ranked third in the nation last year in stopping the rush, allowing a mere 88.6 yards per game.

Additionally the Cajuns forced 39 fumbles, picked off 22 passes and recorded 116 tackles for 528 yards lost.

"They will blitz on about one-third of the snaps," Snyder said. "Maybe that's good, because we want to get these guys field tested."

One player to watch is senior all-America safety Orlanda Thomas.

Thomas led the nation in interceptions last season with nine.

Another factor Snyder addressed was the difficulties of preparing for the first game of the season.

"You can watch film from last season, but the faces change from season to season," Snyder said. "I don't have a clue what they are doing in practice. We don't have spies and I know they don't, either."

Snyder said he has to prepare the offense, defense and special teams for every possible offensive and defensive situation as well as tricks.

"After five games or so, you can look at what other teams are doing in games," Snyder said.

Although most of the starting positions are settled, some positions on the field are still up in the air.

Most notably linebacker Mike Ekeler appeared on the depth chart Monday ahead of Percell Gaskins.

"No matter what happens with the situation, I'll be pumped up and ready to go," Ekeler said. "I only get excited 11 times a year, and this is one of them."

The 6:30 p.m. has also added to the concern over the Cajuns.

However, offensive guard Ross Greenwood said the weather will be cooler and he welcomes the change.

"The reason for scheduling the night games is partly because of the ESPN game (vs. Kansas Oct. 6)," Snyder said.

Snyder said practices have also intensified in the week leading up to the game and the players are ready to play someone else besides each other.

"I'm just ready to get out on the field and do what I can do," running back J.J. Smith said.

Copyright 1994, Student Publications Inc. All rights reserved.
    This document may be distibuted electronically, provided it is distributed in its entirety and includes this notice. However, it cannot be reprinted without the express written permission of Student Publications Inc., Kansas State University.

The source

3. Default

4. Default

hey I took those pictures!

LMK if you need more :o)

6. Default

Originally posted by pirogue
    hey I took those pictures!

LMK if you need more :o)
    Pirogue, you the King of good pics. Yes, more more more.

Thread Information