Thread: Louisiana Football 1993 (Reunion This Weekend)

1. UL Football Louisiana Football 1993 (Reunion This Weekend)

8-3

Coach Nelson Stokley.

University of Louisiana
    1993:

Coming off of back to back 2-9 seasons, the Louisiana Ragin Cajuns were hoping to turn the corner. Their experienced starting QB was returning with a new offense built around his talents. Accompanying him were two ready backups along with a raw true freshman named Jake Delhomme.

Louisiana Ragin Cajuns went 8-3, this was still good enough to rank as the 4th best single season turnaround ever. When Hawaii set the record last year with an 8.5 game single season turnaround, the Cajuns dropped to 5th best turnaround ever.

The University of Louisiana Jake led the team finished with a 5-1 record in the Big West Conference and earned the Cajuns a share of the conference title.
    Big West Conference Champs

1993 Favorite play... first season as a road photographer...

3. Default

Originally posted by pirogue
    1993 Favorite play... first season as a road photographer...
    Great pic.

Who is that and what is his #, it looks like a 12 but I know that's wrong.

Can you recap the play?

Orlando Thomas #42 [during the 1993 season when he led the nation in interceptions tying a Cajun record of 9] picked off Tulane's Billy Duncan and bobbed and weaved through traffic to finally score in the end zone by the West bathroom... I was just exiting, and he was coming right to me... talk about "In position."
    Great play, great game....
    Freshman QB Jake Delhomme through 3 TDs to Wide receiver Marcus Carter... and ran for a score himself on one of the most amazing bootlegs I had ever seen

5. Default USL's CARTER TORCHES TULANE

Quote Originally Posted by Times Picayune 1993-10-10

Marcus Carter ran like wildfire through the Tulane secondary Saturday night, leaving scorch burns to remember him by.

Carter caught six passes for 145 yards in USL's 36-15 victory over the Green Wave at the Superdome and scored a school record-tying three touchdowns on receptions of 4, 12 and 46 yards.

"I've had some games with a lot of catches," Carter, a senior receiver, said, "but I've never had a game like that touchdown-wise before." The best game he had before Saturday night's was as an LSU Tiger against Florida three years ago when he caught nine passes for 91 yards.

On a night when his old teammates in Baton Rouge were being torched themselves, 58-3, by Florida, Carter was sending the Tulane defense down in flames. He transferred to USL after that season, and sat out 1992 to play one last season of varsity ball.

"Maybe some of those old Tiger feelings came out against Tulane," he said with a grin.

After making one catch last week against Southern Miss, a 13-6 victory, Ragin' Cajuns coach Nelson Stokley said, "I told Marcus to get it in the end zone tonight. He certainly did, and he should. He's a big-play receiver. He had a super game tonight."

Tulane helped the cause, Carter said. "They were trying to double-team most of the first half, and were doing a pretty good job for a while. But we adjusted our routes some, and started turning them inside and were able to get some big plays. Jake (Delhomme, the USL quarterback) and I got together and made a couple of changes, and that seemed like it opened things up inside."

Stokley said USL was confident of completing passes against Tulane, after studying the Wave on film. "We thought we could get some completions on play-action plays," Stokley said.

Carter said that when USL receivers turned upward, they seemed to get open.

"It seemed to open things up a lot," he said. "We didn't do it a lot, but when we did it seemed like we were able to get something out of it just about every time."

The Tulane defense got a double-edged assessment by Carter. "I respect them," he said. "They have some good athletes out there . . . They are a trash-talking bunch, though."

That seemed to burn Carter up, and part of the reason he fired up the USL offense.

October 10, 1993
    Times-Picayune
    MARTY MULE'

Default Cajun Football 1993

If it hasn't been shown, here it is.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=06m-SLd_79M

Default 1993 Football Reunion this weekend

Gridiron Alumni sent this out: If you are in contact with any player, coach, or trainer from that team please pass the info on to them.

This weekend is UL's first home game, the Herbert Heymann Classic. The Cajuns will be taking on Nicholl's. The Gridiron Alumni Chapter is hosting a tailgate Saturday afternoon at Cajun Field and the 1993 Ragin' Cajuns (20th anniversary of their Big West Conference title) will be honored during the game.

The 1993 team will all meet with 5 minutes to go on the game clock in the 1st quarter near the field between Sections B and C. We will then go onto the field to be introduced between quarters 1 and 2.

Tailgate location: inside the baseball field gates between home plate and Cajun Field. Tailgate begins around 2 PM.

Go Cajuns!!

8. Default Re: 1993 Football Reunion this weekend

Can you guys remind us who some of the players were from this team---I was telling Jeff Mitchell that I can't remember the decades much less the years that everybody played!!

Default Re: Louisiana Football 1993 (Reunion This Weekend)

Patrice Alexander
    Brennan, Pat
    Carter, Marcus
    Delhomme, Jake
    Evans, Joseph
    Gilmore, Lerodric
    Guidry, Rocky
    Gunner, Ronald
    Hills, Keno
    Jackson, Britt
    Leblanc, Marc
    Lemming, Harry
    Lewis, Conrad
    McGrath, Ryan
    Mitchell, Jeffrey
    Mocek, Steven
    Moncla, Buck
    Paul, Donald
    Pennington, James
    Pool, Charles
    Prier, Marcus
    Roberts, Craig
    Robinson, John
    Robinson, Myron
    Sensley, Timothy
    Shafer, Mike
    Sylvester, Clifton
    Thibodeaux, Sherard
    Thomas, Fernando
    Thomas, Ron
    Thomas, Orlando
    Waguespack, Robby
    Watkins, Jody
    Yarbro, Brett

Man, that was a fun team to watch. Too bad they couldn't have been rewarded with a bowl berth.

It's amazing that in the video Coach Stokley said upgrades to the facilities will make them some of the best in the country. 20 years later and finally something is happening.

I know one of them, but he'll be out of town this weekend. I'll make sure he knows about it anyway.

Thread Information