Thread: Football 1974

1. USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998) Football 1974

2-9

Exemplifying the rush to judgment in the firing of legendary coach Faulkinberry, new coach Auggie Tammariello can only muster 2 wins

Louisiana S-Club Re: Football 1974

But in 1973 we hed very few even close games. In 1974, the season started with game in old Tulane Stadium against Tulane. USL lost on a last-second field goal 17-16 and anyone at the game will aways remember it. USL later lost to Tampa and its quarterback Freddie Soloman (of Miami Dolphin fame) 14-13 and finally won it's first game for homecoming against Tennessee-Chatanooga 21-20 to end the longest losing streak in the nation. USL later beat Northwestern and had a few other competitive losses. This year was important because it showed USL could compete and it enabled Augie Tamariello to convince several good junior college players that USL was a viable option to play football.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Football 1974

Quote Originally Posted by Bankruptcyman View Post
    But in 1973 we hed very few even close games. In 1974, the season started with game in old Tulane Stadium against Tulane. USL lost on a last-second field goal 17-16 and anyone at the game will aways remember it. USL later lost to Tampa and its quarterback Freddie Soloman (of Miami Dolphin fame) 14-13 and finally won it's first game for homecoming against Tennessee-Chatanooga 21-20 to end the longest losing streak in the nation. USL later beat Northwestern and had a few other competitive losses. This year was important because it showed USL could compete and it enabled Augie Tamariello to convince several good junior college players that USL was a viable option to play football.
    Didnt a really crappy pass interference call cost us that game?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Didnt a really crappy pass interference call cost us that game?
    Yep! I was there. That was one of the worst phantom penalties I've ever seen.

Yes. Rafael kicked 3 field goals. I think Oliver Mitchell scored a td on a pass from Barry Pollard. Tulane got the call and scored as the game ended. I remember talking to Gary Rudick after the game. Rudick was a running back for Tulane from Lafayette High so he knew a bunch of us. He said, " I told all these guys that y'all would bring it tonight."

Quote Originally Posted by dg71 View Post
    Yes. Rafael kicked 3 field goals. I think Oliver Mitchell scored a td on a pass from Barry Pollard. Tulane got the call and scored as the game ended. I remember talking to Gary Rudick after the game. Rudick was a running back for Tulane from Lafayette High so he knew a bunch of us. He said, " I told all these guys that y'all would bring it tonight."
    Gary Rudick is a pretty good guy and he went to Acadiana High. Oh yea, Please don't insult those of us who are proud Mighty Lion grads.
    Last edited by Cajunmole; April 10th, 2019 at 10:50 am. Reason: misspelling

Sorry. We had some Lafayette High guys on that team and they all knew Gary so I just thought he was a Lion.

Thread Information