Susan Linden (3-10)
    Fernanda Kompatsher (3-10)
    Lucia Lasso (2-12)

Doubles Results
    Linden/Singh (2-7)
    Bortoletto/Kompatsher (3-7)

02-2003 Women's Final Statsinfo added after season

UL Tennis Any news on a Tennis coach?

Website has a nice look, if low on info.

Does anyone know if there is news on the Tennis front?

4. UL Tennis tennis coach

Chuck it is going to be tough to replace Scwartz even if he was a Tigger. But I am sure there are some quality Tennis pros in Lafayette that are willing to take the job.

I played Tennis in Lafayette for many years and it is a hotbed of quality tennis. I am confident we will find someone good

5. Default

I spoke to Sherry and Nelson yesterday at the game. They are in the process of interviewing for the volleyball coach right now. They will begin working on the tennis position after the semester is finished.
    They metioned they had received a few applications but really weren't going to do anything until then.

UL Tennis Tennis Coach

Originally posted by ragin dave
    I am sure there are some quality Tennis pros in Lafayette that are willing to take the job.

I played Tennis in Lafayette for many years and it is a hotbed of quality tennis. I am confident we will find someone good
    Just checked my e-mail thanks for the reply. So you think they will go local?

7. Default

When I spoke to Nelson and Sherry there were no indications as to who they were looking at. But remember the duties include the men and women. I think they also add other responsibilities to the coach such as fundraising and the likes. So the tennis part sounds great but that person has alot of other duties too.

UL Tennis

Originally posted by PattiTatum
    I think they also add other responsibilities to the coach such as fundraising and the likes. So the tennis part sounds great but that person has alot of other duties too.
    No doubt. I will never forget how shocked I was to hear coach Baldwin say those things were not his job. This job function must be made clear from day 1

9. UL Tennis UL hires Justin McGrath to lead tennis program

LAFAYETTE – The University of Louisiana Director of Athletics Nelson Schexnayder announced Thursday at an afternoon press conference that former University of Arkansas assistant coach Justin McGrath has been hired to lead the Ragin’ Cajuns men’s and women’s tennis programs.

McGrath replaces Brett Schwartz who resigned in January. His hiring is pending the approval of the University of Louisiana Board of Trustees.

McGrath was an assistant at Arkansas from 1999-2002, becoming the Razorbacks first full-time assistant in school history. While with UA, McGrath contributed to the biggest turn-around in Razorbacks Tennis in 10 years. He helped revitalize the program from being unranked to finishing 25th in the nation with a second round appearance in the NCAA Tournament during the 2002 season.

He also conducted practices, assisted with travel arrangements and traveled with the team and individual team members. McGrath played a key role in UA’s ongoing recruiting efforts. He is also credited with working to promote Razorbacks Tennis to the community and building a broad base of enthusiasm and support for the program.

Before his stint at UA, he was an academy coach at John Newcombe’s Tennis Academy in New Braunfels, Texas from 1995 until his hiring at UA.

There he coached several nationally and internationally ranked players at on of the nation’s top residential tennis academies and had the opportunity to travel with players to United States Tennis Association National tournaments, including the Easter and Orange Bowls.

His path to Newcombe’s Tennis Academy began with an internship at the Julian Krinskey School of Tennis in Philadelphia where he worked with junior players as an assistant professional.

In 1992, he moved to Tyler, Texas. He graduated from Tyler Junior College with a certificate of proficiency in the tennis technical program in 1993.

McGrath was also a staff professional at the Abilene (Texas) Country until becoming the head professional at Abilene’s Fairway Oaks Country Club in April 1994. He created and implemented programs and activities, which helped to boost tennis participation by 20 percent at Fairway.

McGrath is certainly no stranger to the game. The Rapid City, S.D., native moved to southern California to compete in men’s singles competition. While on the junior circuit, he was ranked 27th in the southern California 18-year-old divison. McGrath would later move into the Men’s Open Singles in 1989 where he ranked 32nd in the region while playing on the professional tour.

McGrath is a certified instructor and member of the United States Professional Tennis Association and the United States Tennis Association.

He received a bachelor’s of science in education/recreation sports programming from UA this summer. He is married to the former Kimberly Braun.

ULSI

10. UL Tennis

Well I wish the sports information department hadn't openly admitted that the tennis program was coachless for a full 7 months. I guess it is water under the bridge, I certainly like the choice, and one could say good things come to those who do prolonged searches.

Nelson Schexneider certainly seems to be on a roll since the hiring of head football coach Rickey Bustle.

On a personal note with the nwe Tennis helmsman, if I am not mistaken Justin and Kimberly celebrated their 4th trip around the sun as a married couple on July 25th.

In a 1999 interview Justin stressed the importance of staying focused. "We were extremely focused, maintained a high intensity level throughout the match" he went on to show class in that while you are focused, it should not change how you treat your opponent. "treat() opponents with respect. It's not always easy to stay focused when you're playing a lower-ranked team" his comments cemented the thought that if you can mesh a focus on the game with intensity of play, and couple it with respect for the opponent, you will play above and beyond the average players ability. On the day of this interview he simply stated. "They all played above and beyond their ability today"

11. UL Tennis Louisiana's Mens & Womens tennis teams take tournament titles

Staff Reports
    Posted on September 30, 2002
    Two UL doubles teams claimed titles in college tennis tournaments in Texas on Sunday.

The Cajun men's pairing of Marc Castellana and Ivan Kovalev won the B Doubles title at the Baylor Intercollegiate Tournament in Waco, winning three matches Sunday and beating Lamar's Alatorre-Murisic pairing 8-6 in the finals.

The women's pair of Fernanda Kompatsher and Susan Linden lost their first match in the A Doubles at the Lamar Lady Cardinal Invitational in Beaumont, but came back to win twice to take the consolation title. The Cajun pair beat teams from Lee College and Stephen F. Austin to take that honor.
    Source

12. UL Tennis LOUISIANA vs. BAYLOR

JAKUB ILOWSKI DEFEATS NATION’S TOP PLAYER
    UL falls to No. 3 Baylor 5-1

WACO, Texas – Louisiana’s Jakub Ilowski defeated the No. 1 player in the country, Baylor’s Benedikt Dorsch, 3-6, 6-3, 7-5. The Ragin’ Cajuns lost 5-1 to No. 3 Baylor Monday afternoon here at the Baylor Tennis Center.

Ilowski’s victory was the lone bright spot for the Cajuns.

“I am very proud of Jakub,” said UL Lafayette head coach Justin McGrath. “Our goal was to come out and not to be intimidated, but we were intimidated.”
    With the victory, Ilowski automatically qualified for the NCAA Regionals.

Louisiana newcomer Amanjot Singh lost in his Cajuns debut to Benjamin Becker 6-3, 6-1. Evghenii Corduneanu, another addition to the UL Lafayette team, lost a 6-2, 6-1 match to Ivor Lovrak. Michael Tarkowski, Marc Castellana and Ivan Kovalev also lost their matches.

“The guys competed hard, but we have to get mentally tougher,” said McGrath.

In doubles, Baylor swept the Cajuns 3-0. Zoltan Papp and Benjamin Becker defeated UL’s combo of Jakub Ilowski and Ivan Kovalev 9-7. Singh/Corduneanu lost to Benedikt Dorsch/Reiner Neurohr 8-3. Baylor’s Ivor Lovrak/Jason Gould defeated the Ragin’ Cajuns duo of Marc Castellana/Michael Tarkowski 9-8.

Louisiana’s men’s tennis team returns to action Friday at 1:30 p.m. when they host Centenary College at Cajun Courts.

BAYLOR UNIVERSITY def. LOUISIANA (5-1)
    Waco, Texas (Baylor Tennis Center)

13. SINGLES
    Jakub Ilowski (UL) def. #1 Benedikt Dorsch (BU) 3-6, 6-3, 7-5
    Amanjot Singh (UL) l. Benjamin Becker (BU) 3-6, 1-6
    Evghenii Corduneanu (UL) l. Ivor Lovrak (BU) 2-6, 1-6
    Michael Tarkowski (UL) l. Reiner Neurohr (BU) 2-6, 4-6
    Marc Castellana (UL) l. Barry McLaren (BU) 4-6, 6-4, 4-6
    Ivan Kovalev (UL) l. Mike Garcia (BU) 1-6, 7-6, 6-4

14. DOUBLES
    Ilowski/Kovalev (UL) l. Zoltan Papp/Benjamin Becker (BU) 9-7
    Corduneanu/Singh (UL) l. Dorsch/Neurohr (BU) 8-3
    Castellana/Tarkowski (UL) l. Jason Gould/Ivor Lovrak 9-8
    From UL media release

15. Default 2003 Lady Cajuns Tennis Team to Debut Saturday

LAFAYETTE – Louisiana's Lady Cajuns tennis team open their schedule Saturday at 1 p.m. against McNeese State Cowgirls here at Cajun Courts.

Saturday’s matinee also marks the spring head coaching debut for Louisiana's Justin McGrath.

This year’s Cajuns squad will be led by seniors Vinca Rampen and Baton Rouge native Robin Singh. Rampen finished last spring with an 11-6 singles record, while Singh notched nine wins in 11 tries. Sophomores Fernanda Kompatsher and Susan Linden also return for the Cajuns.

There are two faces on this year’s squad in Lucia Lasso of Colombia and Brazil’s Thais Bortoletto.

Louisiana-Lafayette’s Ragin’ Cajuns women’s tennis team will continue their home stand on Saturday, Feb. 15 against North Texas in an 8:30 a.m. contest at Cajun Courts.

Saturday will be the first home match of a six-match home stand
    ULSI

16. UL Tennis Lady Cajuns Drop Season Opener

UL’s Vinca Rampen still bothered by a shoulder injury

LAFAYETTE – Louisiana’s Lady Cajuns women’s tennis team was unable to overcome the cold weather conditions and the McNeese State Cowgirls in a 4-2 loss Saturday here at Cajun Courts.

UL drops to 0-1, while McNeese State (1-0) notches their first victory of the season.

Senior and Baton Rouge native Robin Singh defeated McNeese State’s Noelia Furno 7-5, 7-6. UL newcomer Lucia Lasso netted the only other Cajuns victory 6-0, 6-3 over McNeese State’s Carolanne Lumsden.

The Cajuns played without the services of senior Vinca Rampen, who had to retire her match due to injury. She is still bothered by a shoulder injury that kept her sidelined during the fall season.

“We were in it to win today,” said UL Lafayette head coach Justin McGrath. “We had our chances.”

Weather conditions caused the doubles matches to be cancelled between the schools.

Louisiana’s women’s tennis team continues their home stand against North Texas on Saturday, Feb. 15 at 8:30 a.m.

ULSI

17. Default

McNEESE STATE def. LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE (4-2)
    McNeese State (1-0)/Louisiana-Lafayette (0-1)
    Louisiana-La. (Cajun Courts)

SINGLES
    #1 Robin Singh (UL) def. Noelia Furno (MSU) 7-5, 7-6

#2 Thais Bortoletto (UL) l. to Magali Risoleo (MSU) 6-2, 6-4

#3 Vinca Rampen (UL) l. to Allison Lui (MSU) ret. Injury

#4 Susan Linden (UL) l. to Marina Gando (MSU) 6-4, 6-3

#5 Fernanda Kompatsher (UL) l. to Debora Montero (MSU) 6-3, 6-1

#6 Lucia Lasso (UL) def. Carolanne Lumsden (MSU) 6-0, 6-3

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information