Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The Book CC Track & Field 2006-07

1. Endurance Training The Book CC Track & Field 2006-07

LAKE CHARLES – Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns cross country team opens its 2006 season here Tuesday, Sept. 5 participating in the McNeese 3-Mile Relay.

The meet will take place on the grounds of the Ward 3 recreation park just off Highway 14. Both the Cajuns men and women will be in action.

The meet is scheduled to start at 5 p.m. UL will be joined by McNeese State and Southeastern Louisiana.

Instead of the traditional team scoring, the race will be relay format where athletes are paired with a partner and run against the clock. Each athlete will run 1-1/2 miles for a team total of three miles.

The Cajuns are expected to field three, two-member teams for both men and women.

The UL coaching staff wanted an opportunity to prepare its squad for its first competitive team race which takes place next Friday at Acadiana Park in Lafayette.

Tuesday’s meet is the first of at least six on the Cajuns’ 2006 schedule. UL hopes to get a full season in this year after weather limited last year’s team to only four meets including the Sun Belt event.

LOUISIANA SI

2. Endurance Training Ragin’ Cajuns Invitational ( FRIDAY )

LOUISIANA La. – Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns men’s and women’s cross country teams take part in their first competitive team race of the 2006 season here Friday at Acadiana Park.

UL is hosting the 2006 Ragin’ Cajuns Invitational – the program’s annual home meet – on Friday, Sept. 15.

The meet is slated to begin at 6 p.m., with the 5K women’s race. The men’s 8K run will follow at 6:30 p.m.

The Ragin’ Cajuns will be joined by Grambling State, Louisiana-Monroe, McNeese State, Nicholls State, Northwestern State, Xavier (New Orleans) and Southeastern Louisiana.

The Cajuns’ men are expected to be led by returnees Joby Gisclair, Philip Guidry and D.J. Hebert. Lafayette native and senior transfer James King (transfer from University of Arkansas-Fort Smith) will be making his debut.

Headlining the list of runners for the Cajuns’ women will be returnees Suzanne Boudreaux, Casey Brown, Jasmine Collins and Alix Stelly. UNO transfer Callie Picou, a sophomore from Walker, will make her UL debut.

The UL women finished second and the men third in last year’s Ragin’ Cajuns Invitational. The men are seeking their second title in the past three years, having won the meet in 2004.

Northwestern State is the two-time defending champion of the meet on the women’s side (2004, 2005). McNeese State is the defending champion of the men’s division.

Friday’s meet at Acadiana Park will the Ragin’ Cajuns’ second run of the young season. Last week the UL men and women ran in the McNeese three-mile relay in an effort to warmup for this week’s event.

UL fared well at McNeese getting a third place finish on the men’s side from the tandem of Hebert and Guidry.

On the women’s side the UL women teams placed second and third. The team of Collins and Stelly were second with a time of 18:38.2 while Boudreaux and Brown were third at 18:40.6.

SLU won the McNeese relay on both the men’s and women’s side and seem to be one of the front runners in Friday’s Ragin’ Cajuns Invitational.

3. WHAT: 2006 Ragin’ Cajuns Invitational
  4. WHERE: Acadiana Park in Lafayette
  5. WHEN: Friday, Sept. 15, 2006 – 6:00 p.m. (women’s 5K); 6:30 p.m. (men’s 8K)

LOUISIANA SI

Default Re: Ragin’ Cajuns Invitational ( FRIDAY )

You guys should come out and support the track team! I talked to Brent today and I'm going to try to make it out there, it would be great to see support from the fans. This year should be far better than the last!

7. Endurance Training Re: Ragin’ Cajuns Invitational ( FRIDAY )

I would like to go since I have never taken pictures at a cross Country meet before.

1 question though, where is Acadiana Park?

8. NCAA Re: Ragin’ Cajuns Invitational ( FRIDAY )

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    I would like to go since I have never taken pictures at a cross Country meet before.

1 question though, where is Acadiana Park?
    I still don't know my way around Lafayette very well but I'll try to give you directions.

Take whatever road you need to take to get to Louisiana Ave. (I take simcoe but I know there are many that lead to it). When you get to Louisiana Ave. take that towards I-10 until you get to East Alexander Street. Take a right on East Alexander Street and you'll be driving through a subdivison, then about a half mile down East Alexander Street you'll see the park on your left.

Here are mapquest directions starting from campus.
    1: Start out going NORTHWEST on E UNIVERSITY AVE / US-90 BR / LA-182 toward JOHNSTON ST / US-167. <0.1 miles Map

2: Turn RIGHT onto JOHNSTON ST / US-167. Continue to follow US-167. 0.8 miles Map

3: US-167 becomes LOUISIANA AVE. 2.2 miles Map

4: Turn RIGHT onto E ALEXANDER ST. 0.9 miles Map

5: End at Acadiana Park Nature Station
    1205 E Alexander St, Lafayette, LA 70501, US

The womens race starts at 6:00 PM and the mens race starts at 6:30 PM sharp. We'd love your support.

-Brent

9. Endurance Training Lady Cajuns finish #1 in 2006 Ragin’ Cajuns Invitational (slide show)

LOUISIANA La. – Louisiana’s Lady Cajuns cross country team claimed a first place finish in the 2006 Ragin’ Cajuns Invitational here Friday evening at Acadiana Park.

The UL women were paced by five Top 20 times, which was the most in the meet in the women’s division.

Jasmine Collins (4th at 20:04.55) and Suzanne Boudreaux (9th at 21:11.17) both claimed Top 10 finishes for the Ragin’ Cajuns.

Joining them in the Top 20 were Callie Picou, Casey Brown and Alix Stelly. Picou and Brown came in 14th and 15th with times of 21:35.17 and 21:35.82, respectively. Stelly ran the women’s 5K in a 22:00.30 time.

The UL women’s team totaled 56 points, besting Southeastern Louisiana by two points. The Cajuns victory dethroned two-time defending champion Northwestern State (70 points).

Lady Cajun times in Women 5K

10. 4. Jasmine Collins (20:04.55)
  11. 9. Suzanne Boudreaux (21:11.17)
  12. 14. Callie Picou (21:35.17)
  13. 15. Casey Brown (21:35.82)
  14. 18. Alix Stelly (22:00.30)
  15. 31. Tiffany Saltzman (23:15.94)
  16. 32. Ashley Faulk (23:17.61)
  17. 43. Stephanie Harris (24:39.78)

LOUISIANA SI

18. Endurance Training Ragin' Cajuns claim 2nd in 2006 Ragin’ Cajuns Invitational (slide show)

LOUISIANA La. – Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns men’s cross country team had a strong outing turning in a second place finish, trailing meet winner Southeastern Louisiana by only two points.

The Cajuns men had two Top 10 finishers. Philip Guidry posted the squad’s best time running the 8K race in 27:35.29. D.J. Hebert’s time of 28:16.14 was good enough for ninth place.

Joby Gisclair (14th at 29:16.28) and Brandon Orso (18th at 29:24.93) joined Guidry and Hebert in the Top 20. Brent Almand ran the race in 29:59.24 finishing only 15 seconds from the Top 20.

Lafayette native James King, making his UL debut, ran the meet in 31:47.19.

The UL men were ended the meet with 58 points trailing Southeastern Louisiana by only two points.

UL times in mens Men 8K

19. 4. Philip Guidry (27:35.29)
  20. 9. D.J. Hebert (28:16.14)
  21. 14. Joby Gisclair (29:16.28)
  22. 18. Brandon Orso (29:24.93)
  23. 23. Brent Almand (29:59.24)
  24. 31. Peter Stelly (30:55.02)
  25. 39. James King (31:47.19)

LOUISIANA SI

26. Here is a slide show of the Ragin' Cajuns finishing 2nd overall in the 2006 Ragin' Cajun Invitational.
    (Flash Player required) Latest version available for free here
    For a look at the Lady Cajuns slide show Geaux Here
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns claim 2nd in 2006 Ragin’ Cajuns Invitational

Glad to see my boy Phil and fellow Comeaux alum excelling here at UL. He is a really good guy and he has worked hard to get to where he is...and its good to see athletes with a lot of school spirit and he has that.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364
    Glad to see my boy Phil and fellow Comeaux alum excelling here at UL. He is a really good guy and he has worked hard to get to where he is...and its good to see athletes with a lot of school spirit and he has that.
    All those in attendance were also privileged to be graced with the attendance of our fearless leader, Turbine and his trusty camera.

Glad to see Phil, DJ and the rest of the Cajuns competing so well.

29. Endurance Training Photo slide show

Here is a slide show of the Lady Cajuns winning the 2006 Ragin' Cajun Invitational.
    (Flash Player required) Latest version available for free here
    For a look at the Ragin' Cajuns slide show Geaux Here

30. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns claim 2nd in 2006 Ragin’ Cajuns Invitational

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    Here is a slide show of the Ragin' Cajuns finishing 2nd overall in the 2006 Ragin' Cajun Invitational.
    (Flash Player required) Latest version available for free here For a look at the Lady Cajuns slide show Geaux Here
    Great pics! Thanks for coming out! Is there anywhere you can go to view still images, like a gallery or something?

-Brent

31. Ragin' Cajuns Re: Ragin' Cajuns claim 2nd in 2006 Ragin’ Cajuns Invitational

Quote Originally Posted by BrentAlmand
    Is there anywhere you can go to view still images, like a gallery or something?

-Brent
    Yes. Click the pause button "||" and then you can advance picture by picture at your leisure.

ps Nice meeting you Brent.

Great job, Turbine. That fellow in the first picture REALLY needs to start running again. Damn he looks overweight. In fact the doctor told him he was. I always thought 6'1" 200 lbs. was a good size for a 48 year old wide receiver. It must all be in the weight distribution. Gravity sucks.

Note to self: If Turbine is around with his camera hold in the gut.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentAlmand
    Great pics! Thanks for coming out! Is there anywhere you can go to view still images, like a gallery or something?

-Brent
    Brent, do me a favor please? Give some gentle prodding and encouragement to Nathan Cormier. He's got a lot of potential to help in our middle distance races. I was glad to see him out there running Friday night when he didn't have to.

Oh and congrats on fininshing 2nd Friday night. I see a lot of young talent on this team.

I'll be looking for vastly improved times from the whole team. Now that's a challenge.

34. Default Re: Ragin' Cajuns claim 2nd in 2006 Ragin’ Cajuns Invitational

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Cajun
    Brent, do me a favor please? Give some gentle prodding and encouragement to Nathan Cormier. He's got a lot of potential to help in our middle distance races. I was glad to see him out there running Friday night when he didn't have to.

Oh and congrats on fininshing 2nd Friday night. I see a lot of young talent on this team.

I'll be looking for vastly improved times from the whole team. Now that's a challenge.
    I'll def take your advice as far as helping out Nathan, he's a great guy with a lot of talent. We are looking to close the gap between the 1st and 5th guys on the team. As for me I was sick for 9 days leading to the race and I know a few other guys had some minor issues, so we were def not at our best but that leaves a ton of room for improvement this season. We're not shy about saying we plan to win conference this year. Tho we finished 2nd to a conference team already, we know where our fitness is at and where it will be at come conference. Thanks to all those that came out. We will be at LSU next weekend and plan to give them a run for their money.

-Brent

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information