Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Basketball Attendance

Default Re: Basketball Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by R1Letterman View Post
    Checks notes: RP thinks marlin would be a better coach if less people went to baseball and softball.
    Meanwhile WBB was only winner, i bet nobody had that bingo square
    It’s a testament to the stick & ball programs. What are they doing that basketball is not? Use your brain.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    Go to one baseball and one basketball game, and it’s easy to see why folks gravitate to those sports in Lafayette. I was close to not getting my baseball ticket this year. Nothing against the baseball program. I’m just a little outdone with Cajun athletics, and it’s honestly been a bummer sitting in empty stadiums/arenas all year long. I was sitting there last night though thinking damn this is fun. That atmosphere is something you can only find in a handful of college baseball stadiums, and our fans and Robe built that organically from the ground up. Contrast that with the basketball program. I was a Cajuns basketball fan first. That was what pulled me in as a kid. There was an electricity in the air when my dad would take me to games in the CajunDome. That is completely gone now. Our administration has done a world class job of snuffing it out. Sit in that building with 1,000 other people while an mc runs around on the court trying to pull an ounce of energy out of a catatonic crowd. We have managed to take one of the things our fanbase was historically most proud of and beat all the life out of it.
    This NAILS it. A small circle of folks has allowed our once proud basketball program to implode. As I’m existing the stands after every game in the Dome, I look at the photos on the walls of so many glory seasons and shake my head in disgust over the fact that this has been allowed to happen.

3. Default Re: Basketball Attendance

Problems from my perspective -

1. People hate going to the Cajundome. The floors and rails are sticky and dirty, the employees are rude, the food is terrible and expensive. I find it hard to go there for ANY event. I just spent 2 days there for the beta convention and kids were literally waiting over an hour for expensive and nasty food. Seriously we are the Cajuns a culture known for our cuisine and that’s the best we can do?

2. (And this one is going to resolve itself next season) TICKETMASTER is the WORST. For the casual fan who says ‘let me bring my family to the game tonight’ and goes online to purchase tickets and sees a $25 or whatever ridiculous amount fee added per ticket and doesn’t know you can buy them without that fee at the box office, sees that ONCE and never tries to go to another game. When we started going to games a few years ago, that almost stopped me until my friend told me tickets were less at the box office. I would’ve never attended a game otherwise because I wouldn’t have tried again.

3. Weeknight games 7:30 start time is TOO LATE for the families. We wake up at 5:30 every morning for school. I cannot get my kid to bed on a weeknight at 10pm and expect him to function the next day. So I watch the game at home instead.

4. There is no incentive for break time entertainment at most events. Went to a game this season and 1/2 time was a guy throwing paper into a garbage bin. Seriously wtf? It doesn’t have to be much, get high schools to bring their bands and have them stand still and play a show, have a mini game with kids.

5. Entice crowd participation by inviting buddy leagues or have a dance team night or cheerleader night or band night. Parents love to see their own participate. They will pay for a game.

6. Offer ticket package specials - dads get a free beer night, moms get a free beer night, guys night out 3 pack, family night packs, you catch my drift.

7. Stop the rude staff from being ticket nazis for 4 periods. Let people move seats and get the dome looking fuller on tv. Stop worrying if a student wants a better seat for a game. If it appears fuller, then more people will want to be there FOMO.

8. Ok this one - section 113 tickets are $15. Section 112 tickets are $25. But I sit center court for $25. So make section 112 $20. The seating pricing is off.

It would only take minimal marketing skills to make the experience better for the fans. I didn’t once get into the coaching situation or anything to do with the team. I enjoy basketball, it’s my personal favorite sport to watch live. I think it’s an affordable event and try to attend games. I will get season tickets once my kid is older and doesn’t have conflicts with his schedule, but the experience can easily be made better with minimal changes.

Seems like a lot of problems listed that are not because of marlin

Checks notes: RP thinks marlin would be a better coach if less people went to baseball and softball.
    Meanwhile WBB was only winner, i bet nobody had that bingo square
    Check notes, RW&B has a new account/handle...tin hat time again...

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Check notes, RW&B has a new account/handle...tin hat time again...
    Does tin hat mean posts that dont solve anything? If so as garth to alice cooper would say "im not worry im not worry"

7. Default Re: Basketball Attendance

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Soldier View Post
    Do like other SBC schools put tickets on VETTIX for veterans and first responders. You don't get ticket sales but you will get increase concession sales. JMO We do it for football.
    That's an excellent idea for the Veterans and First Responders on them getting tickets. We can't show enough appreciation for them for what they do and have done for us in the past.

Does tin hat mean posts that dont solve anything? If so as garth to alice cooper would say "im not worry im not worry"
    Pretty sure it's, "I'm not worthy".

Damn spell check

Why is edit button only on some posts

Does tin hat mean posts that dont solve anything? If so as garth to alice cooper would say "im not worthy im not worthy"

Quote Originally Posted by Kritty View Post
    Problems from my perspective -

1. People hate going to the Cajundome. The floors and rails are sticky and dirty, the employees are rude, the food is terrible and expensive. I find it hard to go there for ANY event. I just spent 2 days there for the beta convention and kids were literally waiting over an hour for expensive and nasty food. Seriously we are the Cajuns a culture known for our cuisine and that’s the best we can do?

2. (And this one is going to resolve itself next season) TICKETMASTER is the WORST. For the casual fan who says ‘let me bring my family to the game tonight’ and goes online to purchase tickets and sees a $25 or whatever ridiculous amount fee added per ticket and doesn’t know you can buy them without that fee at the box office, sees that ONCE and never tries to go to another game. When we started going to games a few years ago, that almost stopped me until my friend told me tickets were less at the box office. I would’ve never attended a game otherwise because I wouldn’t have tried again.

3. Weeknight games 7:30 start time is TOO LATE for the families. We wake up at 5:30 every morning for school. I cannot get my kid to bed on a weeknight at 10pm and expect him to function the next day. So I watch the game at home instead.

4. There is no incentive for break time entertainment at most events. Went to a game this season and 1/2 time was a guy throwing paper into a garbage bin. Seriously wtf? It doesn’t have to be much, get high schools to bring their bands and have them stand still and play a show, have a mini game with kids.

5. Entice crowd participation by inviting buddy leagues or have a dance team night or cheerleader night or band night. Parents love to see their own participate. They will pay for a game.

6. Offer ticket package specials - dads get a free beer night, moms get a free beer night, guys night out 3 pack, family night packs, you catch my drift.

7. Stop the rude staff from being ticket nazis for 4 periods. Let people move seats and get the dome looking fuller on tv. Stop worrying if a student wants a better seat for a game. If it appears fuller, then more people will want to be there FOMO.

8. Ok this one - section 113 tickets are $15. Section 112 tickets are $25. But I sit center court for $25. So make section 112 $20. The seating pricing is off.

It would only take minimal marketing skills to make the experience better for the fans. I didn’t once get into the coaching situation or anything to do with the team. I enjoy basketball, it’s my personal favorite sport to watch live. I think it’s an affordable event and try to attend games. I will get season tickets once my kid is older and doesn’t have conflicts with his schedule, but the experience can easily be made better with minimal changes.
    Good points. MBB tip used to be at 7:05 p.m. which seemed like a good time. Would be prudent to study possibility of the University taking over day to day Cajundome management from the Commission. A 1980's management solution is still being applied 40 years later. The City might be glad to be off the hook. Its just an extra governmental layer.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    Good points. MBB tip used to be at 7:05 p.m. which seemed like a good time. Would be prudent to study possibility of the University taking over day to day Cajundome management from the Commission. A 1980's management solution is still being applied 40 years later. The City might be glad to be off the hook. Its just an extra governmental layer.
    When the dome is in the red, who covers the shortfall? Thought the city did, am NOT sure that is still the case.

Nothing will increase attendance, regardless of what is tried. We need a complete reset in MBB.

To think otherwise is just being deliberately ignorant to what the Cajun fan base has been saying. This fan base has quit on this staff. He could go to back to back NCAA tournaments and the crowds won’t be any better.

We sold less than 1000 season tickets. Well less than 1000 season tickets. Regardless of record when you can’t sell enough season tickets to pay for your contract you are over paid. That goes for every sport.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Nothing will increase attendance, regardless of what is tried. We need a complete reset in MBB.

To think otherwise is just being deliberately ignorant to what the Cajun fan base has been saying. This fan base has quit on this staff. He could go to back to back NCAA tournaments and the crowds won’t be any better.

We sold less than 1000 season tickets. Well less than 1000 season tickets. Regardless of record when you can’t sell enough season tickets to pay for your contract you are over paid. That goes for every sport.
    Yes… but the team plays hard.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information