Thread: Cajuns over another ranked opponent

UL Tennis Cajuns over another ranked opponent

The now 4-1 Ragin' Cajuns men's tennis team, defeated previously unbeaten and #75 ranked Oregon over the weekend, with a sweep. This moves UL to 2-1 vs nationally ranked teams.

It seemed as though Coach McGrath changed the lineup a bit. Singh and Corenendeau flipped flop the #1 and #2 positions. Also Dusan Tabak was moved from his usual 3 spot down to the #4 spot, as Robin Ley moved up to #3. Shaun Ellison and Matt Troung played there usual 5 and 6 spots.

Troung has been the suprise of the season at #6. He is undefeated in singles play. \

Next up, another nationally ranked opponent at home. The Cajuns will face Rice on Saturday, Feb 18th.

Good luck to the Cajuns.

Rice is currently ranked #40 in the nation with a 4-3 record and features former ATP Tour player Slobodan (BOBO) Zivojinovic son, Filip Zivojinovic on there roster.

Good luck and geaux Cajuns.

2. Default Re: Cajuns over another ranked opponent

That is facinating, I have no concept of the matchups involved in Tennis.

Seems like he is making all the right moves.

UL Tennis Re: Cajuns over another ranked opponent

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDave
    The now 4-1 Ragin' Cajuns men's tennis team, defeated previously unbeaten and #75 ranked Oregon over the weekend, with a sweep. This moves UL to 2-1 vs nationally ranked teams.

It seemed as though Coach McGrath changed the lineup a bit. Singh and Corenendeau flipped flop the #1 and #2 positions. Also Dusan Tabak was moved from his usual 3 spot down to the #4 spot, as Robin Ley moved up to #3. Shaun Ellison and Matt Troung played there usual 5 and 6 spots.

Troung has been the suprise of the season at #6. He is undefeated in singles play. \

Next up, another nationally ranked opponent at home. The Cajuns will face Rice on Saturday, Feb 18th.

Good luck to the Cajuns.

Rice is currently ranked #40 in the nation with a 4-3 record and features former ATP Tour player Slobodan (BOBO) Zivojinovic son, Filip Zivojinovic on there roster.

What is the Ragin Cajuns ranking and the Lady Cajun rankings?

DaddyCajun

Default Re: Cajuns over another ranked opponent

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun
    What is the Ragin Cajuns ranking and the Lady Cajun rankings?

DaddyCajun
    The men are ranked 33rd, the new rankings come out tomorrow and I would be shocked if the Cajuns don't move up some.

The women are currently unranked, but have losses to 2 nationally ranked teams and just narrowly missed upsetting SLU.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    That is facinating, I have no concept of the matchups involved in Tennis.

Seems like he is making all the right moves.
    It is fairly simple, there are 3 doubles matches and 6 singles matches. The doubles matches count as one total point. So if you win 2 of 3 of the doubles matches, you win that point. And those matches are 8 game pro sets. Meaning that the first team to 8 wins.

In singles you seed your players 1-6, and they match up vs each other. Each indiviual singles match is for 1 point. So basically there are 7 total points available. If you win 4 or more points you win.

It is fairly simple, there are 3 doubles matches and 6 singles matches. The doubles matches count as one total point. So if you win 2 of 3 of the doubles matches, you win that point. And those matches are 8 game pro sets. Meaning that the first team to 8 wins.

In singles you seed your players 1-6, and they match up vs each other. Each indiviual singles match is for 1 point. So basically there are 7 total points available. If you win 4 or more points you win.
    I'm wondering about a strategy that I've heard of used in baseball for pitching match-ups, and I'm wondering if anyone every does it in tennis.

What if you put your real #6 player in the #1 position, then dropped everyone else down one seed. You would basically be sacrificing the first game, but all of your other players would be favored. Make sense?

At the other end of the country in Lafayette, La., the Oregon men’s tennis team (5-1) was unexpectedly shut out 7-0 by the red-hot Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns (4-1).

Playing outdoors and in extremely windy conditions, the Ragin’ Cajuns put an end to the Ducks’ 5-0 undefeated streak.

“We came out and had opportunities, but we just couldn’t capitalize. It could have been a 4-3 loss,” Oregon men’s coach Kevin Kowalik said.

The Ducks played two very close doubles matches, with seniors Arron Spencer and Markus Schiller losing a tight 8-6 pro sets match to Evghenii Corduneanu and Amanjot Singh.

The doubles team of freshmen Mike Myrhed and Gustavo Loza also lost a hard-fought 8-5 battle to Louisiana's Matthieu Truong and Dusan Tabak.

In singles, Myrhed, at the No. 4 spot, came the closest to getting a win for the Ducks. Myrhed lost the first set 6-4, but came back to take the second 6-3 before losing 10-8 in the third-set tiebreaker.

“I have to give Louisiana credit for playing very well,” Kowalik said. “But from the coach’s standpoint, what we realized was that these guys weren’t necessarily more talented. They were just more able to handle the shots that we were throwing at them.

“We just have to raise the level of our game to meet that challenge, and work on certain things to get better.”

http://www.dailyemerald.com/vnews/di./43f195e787cbd

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman
    I'm wondering about a strategy that I've heard of used in baseball for pitching match-ups, and I'm wondering if anyone every does it in tennis.

What if you put your real #6 player in the #1 position, then dropped everyone else down one seed. You would basically be sacrificing the first game, but all of your other players would be favored. Make sense?
    Really, no. It is more of a feel of who is playing better at a certain time. I have been the captain on many USTA teams, and you just hope who is hot stays hot. You could reverse your lineups, but it really doesn't help, you are trading a win for a win. Most coaches will move players up or back 1 or 2 spots at the most.

By the way, the Cajuns slipped 2 spots in the latest poll, back to 35th. But the SBC now has 4 men's teams in the top 75.

35 UL
    39 Middle
    65 South Alabama
    75 Denver

That is very strong.

Hi,
    On which criteria the team will be selected for the final NCAA tournament?
    Good luck Cajuns!!!

Good luck to the Cajuns.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by French-cajunfan
    Hi,
    Good luck Cajuns!!!
    Hey!! Welcome aboard! Unfortunately tennis is not my forte', so I cant offer up any answers.

Trust me, someone with more knowledge of NCAA Tennis will come along and answer your questions

Have a fantastic day!

Z.

11. Default Re: Cajuns over another ranked opponent

Quote Originally Posted by French-cajunfan
    Hi,
    Good luck Cajuns!!!
    1ST AND FOREMOST, JUST AS IN BASKETBALL AND BASEBALL AND MOST OTHER NCAA SPORTS, EACH CONFERENCE CHAMPION RECIEVES A BID TO THE NCAA TOURNAMENT. 64 TEAMS ARE INVITED, OF WHICH ABOUT HALF OF THOSE ARE GOBBLED UP BY CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS. THE REMAINING SPOTS ARE AT LARGE BIDS, THE LAST COUPLE OF SEASONS, THE SBC HAS RECIEVED 1 AT LARGE BID, THIS YEAR COULD BE THE YEAR FOR MORE. CURRENTLY THE SBC HAS 4 TEAMS IN THE TOP 75.

I hope that ULL will receive a bid or, better, will be the next Conference Champion.
    Looking at the schedule of ULL, most of the opponents are not SBC teams.
    Which results contribute to SBC championship?
    Thanks.

1ST AND FOREMOST, JUST AS IN BASKETBALL AND BASEBALL AND MOST OTHER NCAA SPORTS, EACH CONFERENCE CHAMPION RECIEVES A BID TO THE NCAA TOURNAMENT. 64 TEAMS ARE INVITED, OF WHICH ABOUT HALF OF THOSE ARE GOBBLED UP BY CONFERENCE CHAMPIONS. THE REMAINING SPOTS ARE AT LARGE BIDS, THE LAST COUPLE OF SEASONS, THE SBC HAS RECIEVED 1 AT LARGE BID, THIS YEAR COULD BE THE YEAR FOR MORE. CURRENTLY THE SBC HAS 4 TEAMS IN THE TOP 75.

Thread Information