Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Ragin' Round-Ball Fans! Gotta Know!

UL Basketball Calling all Ragin' Round-Ball Fans! Gotta Know!

Can anyone give me the break-down on "La'Ryan Gary, Damon Forrest, and transfer David Dees?" I have no problem with finding good stuff on Marquie Cooke!

"Cooke, a 6-3 point guard from Suffolk, Va., averaged 23.5 points, 8.3 assists, 6.7 rebounds and 3.1 steals a game for Nansemond River High School last season. He was named first team AAA All-State as a sophomore and junior. He was named Tidewater Player of the Year by the Virginian-Pilot. Cooke has already qualified academically to play collegiately as a freshman."

"Marquie Cooke is the total package, he's everything we're looking for in a point guard," Greenberg said. "He's big, he's strong, he's tough, he's a winning player and he has tremendous leadership skills. He's the type of player we can build around. He was a focal point of our recruiting from the day we took the job."

"He's a difference-maker. He's the type of player that makes other people better. We couldn't be more pleased that he decided to join the Hokie family."

"Cooke is rated the No. 45 player overall by Rivals.com, No. 84 by TheInsiders.com, and No. 56 by Brick Oettinger of the Prep Stars Recruiter's Handbook. Rivals rates Cooke as the No. 8 point guard in the country, and The Insiders rank him as the No. 12 point guard nationally."

See: http://www.hokiesports.com/mbasketba...122003aaa.html

Also...Are we in the hunt for a "Big-Man?" Clutch...BOP...Turbine? Gotta Know!:confused:

Default Re: Calling all Ragin' Round-Ball Fans! Gotta Know!

I don't have any stats or any scouting reports, but I watched La'Ryan when he was a sophmore and Junior. Those two year he played for Saint Thomas More High School and started both years. Gary is a 6-7 SF. He can run, jump, shoot, play defense. He was the biggest and best player on our team and was expected to take us to the States playoffs and deep into it. But he trasfered before his senoir year to Carencro High School. I don't know the exact reason. At Carencro, La'Ryan is basically the team. I am not sure, but I think they have close to a .500 record? But I do know that without him, the Carencro Bears would be terrible. He makes the team respectable and forces opposing coaches to game plan specifically for him. Overall, La'Ryan is a very solid shooter with some good defense and the ability to go up and get the rebound. Don't expect for him to be a starter as a freshman or anything. But he could turn into a terrific player for the Cajuns.

UL Basketball Re: Calling all Ragin' Round-Ball Fans! Gotta Know!

courtesy espn.com...

Season Averages (at Liberty)
    SEASON MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS
    03-04 19.5 10.5 2.2 1.0 1.2 .87 .3 .1 1.3 .448 .826 .376 1.33
    04-05 32.9 16.2 5.1 2.0 2.1 .96 .5 .4 2.2 .405 .775 .338 1.30

6'4" 219 Guard

courtesy LibertyFlames.com...

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Calling all Ragin' Round-Ball Fans! Gotta Know!

Quote Originally Posted by jhaan79
    courtesy espn.com...

Season Averages (at Liberty)
    SEASON MIN PTS REB AST TO A/T STL BLK PF FG% FT% 3P% PPS
    03-04 19.5 10.5 2.2 1.0 1.2 .87 .3 .1 1.3 .448 .826 .376 1.33
    04-05 32.9 16.2 5.1 2.0 2.1 .96 .5 .4 2.2 .405 .775 .338 1.30

6'4" 219 Guard

courtesy LibertyFlames.com...
    Looks like he has a build that's similar to Mr. Dunk you very much! Do you think he will be as electrifying?

Took a little digging on LibertyFlames.com.....

Dees was 1st team All-Big South in '05

"Dees (So., G, Dayton, Ohio) currently leads the Flames in scoring as he is averaging 16.4 points per game and ranks second in the Big South, while ranking fourth in the league in free throw percentage (77.3) and sixth in three-point field goals (1.81). Dees led the league in scoring in conference only games as he averaged 19.2 points per game, which was aided by seven 20-point games against conference opponents."

Dees was on the All-Freshman team in '04

Quote Originally Posted by RaginEsquire06
    Looks like he has a build that's similar to Mr. Dunk you very much! Do you think he will be as electrifying?
    Damon Forrest is scoring close to 20 ppg at Central High in BR. He had 32 in their last game. Earlier he had 18 against Northside which may be the best team in Louisiana. Another thing about David Dees. As a freshman at Liberty, he scored 24 as his team almost pulled off a huge upset against No. seed St. Joe's in the first round of the NCAA tournament. He was the CBS player of the game that day.

Did a little research, but here our the faces of some of the future Ragin Cajuns, and hopefully other future Ragin Cajuns.

LaRyan is 6'7" and about 215, he will play the 2/3 probably.

Cooke is a point/2 guard . He is about 6'3" 210

Attached Images Attached Images    

Josh Darragh is a 6'3 point guard from Australia.

Here are some possible big men that rivals had us looking at:

Marcus Hubbard a 6'9" from Kilgore JC

and Courtney Wallace a 6'8" kid from Woodlawn. (His picture is from his sophomore year)

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Calling all Ragin' Round-Ball Fans! Gotta Know!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike
    Damon Forrest is scoring close to 20 ppg at Central High in BR. He had 32 in their last game. Earlier he had 18 against Northside which may be the best team in Louisiana. Another thing about David Dees. As a freshman at Liberty, he scored 24 as his team almost pulled off a huge upset against No. seed St. Joe's in the first round of the NCAA tournament. He was the CBS player of the game that day.

This guy must be incredible! How big is he? Will he be a possible "immediate" contribution to the team?

Ragin' Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by jhaan79
    Dees was 1st team All-Big South in '05

"Dees (So., G, Dayton, Ohio) currently leads the Flames in scoring as he is averaging 16.4 points per game and ranks second in the Big South, while ranking fourth in the league in free throw percentage (77.3) and sixth in three-point field goals (1.81). Dees led the league in scoring in conference only games as he averaged 19.2 points per game, which was aided by seven 20-point games against conference opponents."

Dees was on the All-Freshman team in '04
    Did you notice any information to what type of player he is or his style of play? Is he a slasher or primarily a jump shooter? or is he a combination of both?

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun
    Josh Darragh is a 6'3 point guard from Australia.
    Looks like our guard play will be incredible next season! More of the Big Point Guards...O. Greene has created a new mold and I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun
    Here are some possible big men that rivals had us looking at:

Marcus Hubbard a 6'9" from Kilgore JC

and Courtney Wallace a 6'8" kid from Woodlawn. (His picture is from his sophomore year)
    He looks to be a rebounding machine...Do you know his weight? Do you think we will see another 6'10"-7'00" anytime soon?

Courtney Wallace is a guy I have heard good things about. I don't know about his stats and what not but he won a state title with Brother Martin last year before transferring after Katrina. From what I can tell he is in the mold of say a Brian Hamilton who wasn't the biggest guy but he will play the 4.

I heard a rumor that Cooke has decided not to come to UL after all. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by derf
    I heard a rumor that Cooke has decided not to come to UL after all. Is this true?
    Not true at all...he has been on the bench with the team during home games.

I haven't seen him. I look at the next game. Thanks for putting my mind to rest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information