Thread: UL's first Bowl Championship

SLI 1921-1960 UL's first Bowl Championship

2. Default Re: UL's first Bowl Championship

Good find.

Thanks very much.

Funny how the greatest assemblage of current talent ever put together in the history of college football is almost forgotten.

This was like taking the Senior Bowl players or Blue-Grey teams and letting them play together for a season.

Default Re: UL's first Bowl Championship

Although many on this team did not graduate from SLI, it remained a very special place in their hearts from their experiences in Lafayette and the V-12 officer training programs during World War II.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by USL1970 View Post
    Although many on this team did not graduate from SLI, it remained a very special place in their hearts from their experiences in Lafayette and the V-12 officer training programs during World War II.
    I agree Alvin Dark told me so himself in 2006 when he came down and Robe presented him with a #1 baseball jersey during half time of a UL vs ULM football game.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I agree Alvin Dark told me so himself in 2006 when he came down and Robe presented him with a #1 baseball jersey during half time of a UL vs ULM football game.
    Dark attended LSU, in 1942 and was a football standout there as well as a baseball player. During World War II, he transferred through the V-12 program to the University of Louisiana-Lafayette (then Southwestern Louisiana Institute) in Lafayette, Louisiana, where he again showed his baseball skills, batting .461 in 1944. His football skills were evident there as well as he quarterbacked SLI to an undefeated season in 1943 and a New Year's Day victory in the Oil Bowl.

Thanks for posting this thread. It was a very interesting article. I have been looking for this since the Cajuns were selected by the New Orleans Bowl. I've read articles about the 1970 Grantland Rice Bowl team. I knew Alvin Dark played for SLI and played in the Oil Bowl. This article gives Cajun fans the complete historical perspective of the Cajuns' first bowl victory.
    Merci beaucoup!

7. Default

Dark attended LSU, in 1942 and was a football standout there as well as a baseball player. During World War II, he transferred through the V-12 program to the University of Louisiana-Lafayette (then Southwestern Louisiana Institute) in Lafayette, Louisiana, where he again showed his baseball skills, batting .461 in 1944. His football skills were evident there as well as he quarterbacked SLI to an undefeated season in 1943 and a New Year's Day victory in the Oil Bowl.
    One telling affiliation story is how after the war Alvin Dark could have gone back to school anywhere; he chose to enroll at UL.

He should be in the UL Hall of Fame, he graduated to his chosen profession.

There was no rule againest grabbing the facemask back then.

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    There was no rule againest grabbing the facemask back then.
    Facemask? What facemask??? LOL

SLI could have played in either the Sugar Bowl in New Orleans or the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, but the many alumni wanted to accept the Oil Bowl bid in Houston.

Thread Information