Thread: Odd New Orleans bowl question

Default Odd New Orleans bowl question

How far behind the goal posts is the net that catches the ball in the Superdome?

Just watched the replay and the ball hit the net still inside the posts. I figure that means it would have been good from at least the added distance between the posts and the net.

From the beating a dead horse catagory.

2. Default Re: Odd New Orleans bowl question

I had posted the same thing after their coach mentioned that although w/o the penalty the kick still would have the distance, it was curving wide----Is the canvas wider than the uprights??? That is the question I think!!!!

Default Re: Odd New Orleans bowl question

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I had posted the same thing after their coach mentioned that although w/o the penalty the kick still would have the distance, it was curving wide----Is the canvas wider than the uprights??? That is the question I think!!!!
    When it hits the net it's still inside of the left upright.so doesn't matter how wide the net is. From some side views it appears to be at least 5 yards behind the posts. I think it's good from 55, wide left from 60.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

The whole complaint is pretty stupid. He only kicked it with the hook in order to make the kick more dramatic. He could have kicked it blind-folded, with his left foot, from 70 yards. if that was what we needed to win that bowl game.

5. UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Odd New Orleans bowl question

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    The whole complaint is pretty stupid. He only kicked it with the hook in order to make the kick more dramatic. He could have kicked it blind-folded, with his left foot, from 70 yards. if that was what we needed to win that bowl game.
    At last a man who understands why BB is the best. Whatever would have been needed he would have done.

This topic makes my head hurt. I nearly blew a gasket when it was brought up the other day while getting a haircut. Here's the thing. That particular kick, at that moment in time, happened at 50 yards. There is no point wondering if that kick would have cleared at 55 or 60. Because, if things had happened differently, we'd have seen a different kick, from a different spot, at a different moment in time, from a kicker with a slightly different goal. It really is as simple as that. The only thing that can be gleaned from that kick, is that BB does, without a doubt, have the leg to reach it from further out. Bottom line, SDSU earned that penalty, and BB made the right kick from that spot at that moment in time. That's it. It's over. Cajun's win. Would he have made it from 55 or 60? Who knows, but he definitely has the leg to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orestes View Post
    This topic makes my head hurt. I nearly blew a gasket when it was brought up the other day while getting a haircut. Here's the thing. That particular kick, at that moment in time, happened at 50 yards. There is no point wondering if that kick would have cleared at 55 or 60. Because, if things had happened differently, we'd have seen a different kick, from a different spot, at a different moment in time, from a kicker with a slightly different goal. It really is as simple as that. The only thing that can be gleaned from that kick, is that BB does, without a doubt, have the leg to reach it from further out. Bottom line, SDSU earned that penalty, and BB made the right kick from that spot at that moment in time. That's it. It's over. Cajun's win. Would he have made it from 55 or 60? Who knows, but he definitely has the leg to do it.
    True enough, but there is no point to most posts on this board, thank goodness. But since it's 9 months till I get to see Gautier and company hang 40 on tulane, my ADD mind is stuck on that game. I've watched it like 5 times like some late 70's Star Wars nerd. It was awesome and obscessing about it makes me smile.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Orestes View Post
    Actually, BB told me that if we would not have gotten the 5 yard penalty, he wasn't going to kick it. To add to the drama, the plan was to perform an eleven man lateral play ending with BB doing a David Lee Roth leaping split as he flew over a defender into the endzone for the TD. I was severely disappointed when SDSU gave us the additional 5 yard gift, and we went ahead and kicked the FG.

Seriously, I know what you mean. What didn't happen, didn't happen. What happened, did.

CK, my two cents. I think the tarp where the ball landed starts about 10 yards behind the goalpost and about the same height as the crossbar as the players come out of the tunnel there. I think the ball landed about five yards up on the tarp. The end result puts the ball at 60 yards distance would be my best guess. Looking at the kick from the camera view, it looked like it was still within the upright view when it hit the tarp.

I do agree that the kick changes when you move it back, and since we didn't kick that one, all you can do is love the kick that was made.

10. Default Re: Odd New Orleans bowl question

I'll have to look again ---but I don't think that the net was up!!!!

You are correct no net! It hit the no bowl tarp to the right of the left up right.

12. Default Re: Odd New Orleans bowl question

Well maybe it was beyond the tarp!!!!

I'll have to look again ---but I don't think that the net was up!!!!
    Pretty sure it hit the net. I was sitting in that end zone, second level. It definitely went a long way! 55-60 yarder for sure!

Here is the ESPN video. It looks like the net is up (notice the allstate logo) and it eventually lands on the tarp over the tunnel but did it hit net first? Is the net that far back?

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=313510309

Thread Information