Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Students statewide choose University of Louisiana

1. Default Students statewide choose University of Louisiana

UL students to have say in name change

In March, when University of Louisiana students decide on new student leaders, they'll also have the chance to give their opinion on whether the university should drop the "at Lafayette" from its official title.

The Student Government Association will ask the question and show the results to UL President Ray Authement.

If an overwhelming percentage wants to drop the name, a resolution will be written asking Authement to actively pursue the name change with the Board of Regents and the state Legislature, who has the final say on institutional name changes, said Trumaine Thomas, Student Government Association president.

"We wanted to pose the question to the student body — 'Do they think the name of our university — University of Louisiana at Lafayette — says who we are and where we are now as an institution of higher education?'" said Thomas.

The rest of the story

The university's last name change was in 1999 — from the University of Southwestern Louisiana to the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

Default Re: Drop Lafayette

All right, I know this is a free country, BUT CARRY A BIG STICK! And beat anyone over the head that does not think they should drop the Lafayette!

Quote Originally Posted by lxa656
    All right, I know this is a free country, BUT CARRY A BIG STICK! And beat anyone over the head that does not think they should drop the Lafayette!
    LXA I'm with you on that one.

I for one will be voting to drop the Lafayette

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Drop Lafayette

I'll definitely vote for UL!

5. Default Re: Drop Lafayette

Quote Originally Posted by studentfan
    I'll definitely vote for UL!
    Can somebody start a vote on line for this thing? I know we do this for our opinions on all sorts of things!!1

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy

Should it be the University of Louisiana?

What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy
    Despite President Thomas acting like it was his idea, this was definitely my idea and I am the one that will be writing the resolution. Done deal. Now we just have to make sure that students vote, and in strong numbers. No messing around on this one!

If there's anything I can help to get the vote out (including sacrificing my lunch breaks to hand out flyers or whatEVER), let me know. .seriously, let me know.

God bless

GEAUX CAJUNS!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman
    Despite President Thomas acting like it was his idea, this was definitely my idea and I am the one that will be writing the resolution. Done deal. Now we just have to make sure that students vote, and in strong numbers. No messing around on this one!

lol, sounds like Trumaine alright! Anyway, dont want to get into that, but I definitely think you should print and pass out the, "what's in a name?" story.

Also, if you want to pm me on some information concerning the topic, I am an advisor for my fraternity and can pass on the word to them. There are members on my fraternity that are also on the all-fraternity board, so I can get them to go that route too.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by lxa656
    lol, sounds like Trumaine alright! Anyway, dont want to get into that,
    I'll use some restraint and agree to that.

Read the Vermilion this week.

Default Battle for a name

Hey can someone send me a link to the website for the Battle for a name.some guys I know want to read it but I forgot it. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Battle for a name

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364
    Hey can someone send me a link to the website for the Battle for a name.some guys I know want to read it but I forgot it. Thanks in advance.
    www.angelfire.com/la3/ulragincajuns/battle.html

Here ya go.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunlove
    Thank You!!!

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364
    Thank You!!!
    Maybe your buddy Chris, needs to put this in the Vermilion??? Kind of a heads up for when the students vote.

Z.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Battle for a name

What a great article. Thanks for putting that up, I wasn't aware of all of the history behind this. And the guys in BR wonder why we have a chip on our shoulder about certain things. GEAUX CAJUNS!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information