Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Students statewide choose University of Louisiana

Default Re: UL Students Want Name Change

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman
    Claire Pettit of RAGE won for President, but the VP and Treasurer from Forward won.it was one of the closest elections ever and the first time ever that there has been a split big 3
    Thanks Chris!!

2. Default Re: UL Students Want Name Change

first time ever that there has been a split big 3
    can you say, co-UL-ition ?

Don't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head, but over 2500 voted for UL, while about 950 voted against it.

UL students have spoken.
    Thanks

4. Default Re: Official: UL Students Want Name Change

University of Louisiana students voted to increase their health services fee from $20 to $25, effective in the fall semester.

The campus held elections Monday and Tuesday, deciding on the fee and new student leaders. On the ballot, students also were surveyed on whether they think the university should drop the "at Lafayette" from its official title.

A majority of the students - 2,391 - voted that they want the university's name to be the University of Louisiana, while 940 students voted against it. A name change must be authorized by the Legislature.

The results were announced Tuesday afternoon.

The elections saw record turnout for recent years - 3,532, said UL Dean of Students Ed Pratt. Only 2,741 votes were cast last year, he said.

"Y'all got the student body energized," Pratt told the crowd of hopefuls gathered in the Student Union.

Elected for the "big three" positions of the Student Government Association were Claire Pettit, president; Joshua "Ernie" Perrodin, vice president; and Ashley Sanders, treasurer.

The rest of the story

Marsha Sills
    msills@theadvertiser.com

USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998) Re: UL Students Want Name Change

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58
    In my best northeastern Louisiana or is it Arkansas accent:

"WHAAAAHHHH, but what about us??!!!"
    And what exactly will this vote do to influence anyone in the state government? Besides the blanco idiots (governor and hubby), who eles will pay attention to this vote. What is the current enrollment for the school vs. how many students voted? There again, all this will amount to is that some folks in lafayette will feel a little bit better about themselves. One day people will realize that most folks outside of lafayette really don't care about this name game we continue to play! This name thing is starting to get tired and run down. It's time to move on and worry about continuing to improve academics and drastically improve the athletic programs. Just my $.02.

Let the rebuttal and criticizing begin! Just so you know, I will continue to speak my mind and voice my opinion just as everyone else does and can do!

Quote Originally Posted by UL-Lreality
    And what exactly will this vote do to influence anyone in the state government? Besides the blanco idiots (governor and hubby), who eles will pay attention to this vote. What is the current enrollment for the school vs. how many students voted? There again, all this will amount to is that some folks in lafayette will feel a little bit better about themselves. One day people will realize that most folks outside of lafayette really don't care about this name game we continue to play! This name thing is starting to get tired and run down. It's time to move on and worry about continuing to improve academics and drastically improve the athletic programs. Just my $.02.

Let the rebuttal and criticizing begin! Just so you know, I will continue to speak my mind and voice my opinion just as everyone else does and can do!

You can continue to speak your opinion but no one here cares what people outside of lafayette thinks. We want this to better our school we could careless if anyone else from LSU, McNeese, or ULM like it.

On the contrary, "the name thing" is picking up steam. 90% of the kids on campus had NO idea about the 84' screwing.

They do now

30% voted.Thats a whole heck of alot more than have voted in past elections on campus.

You cant wish it away

Its alooooong slow process, it will happen

Thanks for the support, and Goooooo Tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by RonMexico
    On the contrary, "the name thing" is picking up steam. 90% of the kids on campus had NO idea about the 84' screwing.

They do now

30% voted.Thats a whole heck of alot more than have voted in past elections on campus.

You cant wish it away

Its alooooong slow process, it will happen

Thanks for the support, and Goooooo Tigers.
    Very true. Last year, about 2500 students voted and that was the highest turnout ever. This year, we have over 3500. So maybe not quite up to that 30% mark, but amazing anyway.

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: UL Students Want Name Change

If NO one outside Lafayette care about the name change, and or what UL is called then "WHY HAS THERE BEEN SO MUCH RESISTANCE"?? The advocate and WBRZ and all the news stations and papers continue to use ULL and Lafayette even though we(UL Alumni) ask not to use them.

I one breath the LSU Legislature says a NAME does not make the school and in the other they say you can not have the name because it will change forever LSU as we know it today. That was a paraphrase from 1984 LSU chancelor in the Advocate in the Spring. Look it up. YOU CAN NOT HAVE IT BOTH WAYS!!

Every name change has been fought by LSU, but eventually EVERYONE was won by whatever school was doing the fighting for the name!! SLII, SLI, USL, UL-L, will be UL, bank on it!!!!

DaddyCajun

.who eles will pay attention to this vote. What is the current enrollment for the school vs. how many students voted?
    Well, it looks like a lot of you tigger fans and the monrovians paid a great deal of attention to it. And regardless of the ratio of students voting, had the vote gone against the name change I'm sure you and all of your purple & p!ss friends would have been on here laughing it up and holding up the results as proof that we should just know our place.

11. Default Re: BREAKING NEWS

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    In 1984 the Board of Trustees who had the same constitutional privileges (1974 Constitution) as the Board of Regents, gave the University of Southwestern Louisiana a new and more fitting name University of Louisiana.

The Board of Regents went to court and asserted that changing a schools name was their right alone. They stated in district court "that a name change required prior approval of the Board of Regents."

Realizing that the 1974 Louisiana Constitution gave both the Trustees and Regents the exact same power, the Judge found he had only one option. That option was to revoke (or pretend it never existed) the naming privileges of both boards over their respective schools. This was the only way to undo the name change, unmentioned in the whole process was the fact that Regents and its predecessor Board of Education had named schools in the past.

Ironically the Trustees and the Regents appealed together.

Within weeks however the legislature exposed the fallacy of the Judges logic by reestablishing the right to rename schools (specifically) back to the Board of Regents.
    Q for a lawyer: Since the 1974 Constitution said both boards had the same power. Wouldn't the Board of Trustees inherit the Regents naming powers re-issued by the Legislature?

USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998) Re: UL Students Want Name Change

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58
    Well, it looks like a lot of you tigger fans and the monrovians paid a great deal of attention to it. And regardless of the ratio of students voting, had the vote gone against the name change I'm sure you and all of your purple & p!ss friends would have been on here laughing it up and holding up the results as proof that we should just know our place.

You still did not answer my question as to what good it will do just because a student body voted to drop the "lafayette." The student body of a university does not write laws for this state nor any other university. The blancos only have a short time left in office and a whole bunch more of IMPORTANT issues to deal with for this state. Do you think for one minute that the folks at the state capital will pay much attention to a "name game" before dealing with what is considered to be priority in government? Do you think their respective constituents will care about the "name game" and demand that they support the dropping of the "lafayette" just because a select few people at a school voted in a meaningless election (other than to elect student body officers), or a select few people in lafayette say so? There are more pressing needs in state government right now and by the time all of the mess and fiasco the blancos have this state in are cleared up, we'll probably be 3 or 4 governors down the road and hopefully the blanco('s) era will looooong be forgotten. However, I'm pretty sure that the "name game" will continue on for generations,.at least in lafayette.

13. Default Re: UL Students Want Name Change

You still did not answer my question as to what good it will do just because a student body voted to drop the "lafayette."
    It's a rug remover. You can't sweep the issue under the rug, or hide it under your thumb.

You still did not answer my question as to what good it will do just because a student body voted to drop the "lafayette." The student body of a university does not write laws for this state nor any other university. The blancos only have a short time left in office and a whole bunch more of IMPORTANT issues to deal with for this state. Do you think for one minute that the folks at the state capital will pay much attention to a "name game" before dealing with what is considered to be priority in government? Do you think their respective constituents will care about the "name game" and demand that they support the dropping of the "lafayette" just because a select few people at a school voted in a meaningless election (other than to elect student body officers), or a select few people in lafayette say so? There are more pressing needs in state government right now and by the time all of the mess and fiasco the blancos have this state in are cleared up, we'll probably be 3 or 4 governors down the road and hopefully the blanco('s) era will looooong be forgotten. However, I'm pretty sure that the "name game" will continue on for generations,.at least in lafayette.

Mr. Who Cares, why do you think anyone owes you an answer to your bogus question? What difference does it make to you what the students at UL vote on? As your signature states "who cares". Once again, a lot of "not caring" going on from the State fans.

You still did not answer my question as to what good it will do just because a student body voted to drop the "lafayette."
    I don't pretend to have all the answers; but as a minimum, it is a strong reminder to the university's administration that this issue remains a "hot button" for this university and its student population. Now, is it important enough to bring up in the legislature right now given the current predictiment of this state? Probably not. But at the same time; what does the state lose if "UL" loses the "@ Lafayette". Nothing! What does the state gain? Hard to determine; but it gives the "perception" that this state has other deserving institutions besides just LSU. It potentially brings more recognition to the state from people (other universitys, businesses, etc) outside the state. I have read in the past that then-USL was not supported by Memphis (as an example) to join the ranks of CUSA because our "name" was too regional. Sadly, there is more to a name than meets the eye. Right? Wrong? Beats me; but perception is reality in many circles. And this is more than about just athletics. Just that athletics is a tool that can bring attention to a university because it is often in the news. I'd simply like the university to have the ability to "compete" with other schools for quality students, staff, and yes, student-athletes, without being suppressed. And, the name change is an important part of that progress - be it perception or reality.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread Information