Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread: Students statewide choose University of Louisiana

Default Re: Drop Lafayette

Quote Originally Posted by derf
    But you also have to realize that in these elections, less than 1% of the student body actually votes. To me thats not overwhelming in any sense. What are they gonna say to the legislature? "well less than 1% of the students want this, but thats an overwhelming majority of the voters" The representives would laugh them out of the capitol.
    secretly, I'm kinda hoping that 50% of the student body turns out to vote for this. Even though it's far fetched, I really believe we can make it happen with the help of everyone who feels so passionately about this issue.

Granted, I know this vote will not be able to signlehandedly sway the legislature enough to change their minds, but it will be a step in the right direction. But I also think that it would be a powerful statement to be able to say that even though normal voter turnout is only about 15% of the university, 40% of the student body turned out to vote in this election, and 98.9% percent of those voters approve of the name change.

I have a bad feeling that most students could care less if the Lafayette was there or not. Now that I have been out of school for 5 years I would vote for droping Lafayette. But I am not to sure I would have even voted when I was in school.

I hope I am wrong but I am afraid that this might be a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun08
    I have a bad feeling that most students could care less if the Lafayette was there or not. Now that I have been out of school for 5 years I would vote for droping Lafayette. But I am not to sure I would have even voted when I was in school.

I hope I am wrong but I am afraid that this might be a disaster.
    If I remember correctly, I think this has been voted on by the students before, possibly before the 1984 name change. I think it actually failed then. So, the only precendent we have on this is a failure. I think if it works, great. If it doesn't work, we're still in the same place.

But I think it will work.

4. Default Reader views on the University of Louisiana name

University of Louisiana at Lafayette students may soon have the chance to vote on whether the "at Lafayette" should be dropped from the school's name. How do you feel?

5. Michelle Harper
  6. Michael L. Barras
  7. Amanda deLassus
  8. Sidney E. Savoie, II
  9. Paul Bessey
  10. Millie Cummins
  11. Marty J. Hebert
  12. Eric White
  13. Jonathon Clark
  14. Christopher Guidry
  15. Richard Daigle
  16. Eric Tober
  17. John F. Moore

read the comments of the above Advertiser readers

Battle for a Name Document
    (no Angelfire ads)
    https://forumeus.com

Quote Originally Posted by lxa656
    Are you a student? Do you realize for there would have to be less than 150 votes for it to be 1%? What kind of point are you making?

While it is still a low turnout, the eletions usually bring in between 2 and 3k. Now I was not a math major, but that is between 15 and 20% roughly. Many universities and colleges do not normally spit our more than 50% of a student body in a vote.
    yes as a mater of fact i am a student. And i vote everytime there is an election. But, I am an exception not a rule. The only way to get high turn outs for an election is to have something the students can actually give a ____ about. I know that this issue is important to many people, but the simple fact is that wasting money on this any further is insane. The point that I was trying to make is that the school's percieved desire for a name change might be hurt by this vote. When the people higher up see the low number of students who bother to show up and vote on it, they may see it as a situation where if the students don't care enough to do this why should they. A university can call itself whatever it wants. Miami alumns and current students refer to their school as the U, and that doesn't cost a dime. I for one am just tired of seeing university money spent on a ____ing contest. Lets get back to what really brings prestigue and honor to a university. Academics and (yes) Athletics.

yes as a mater of fact i am a student. And i vote everytime there is an election. But, I am an exception not a rule. The only way to get high turn outs for an election is to have something the students can actually give a ____ about. I know that this issue is important to many people, but the simple fact is that wasting money on this any further is insane. The point that I was trying to make is that the school's percieved desire for a name change might be hurt by this vote. When the people higher up see the low number of students who bother to show up and vote on it, they may see it as a situation where if the students don't care enough to do this why should they. A university can call itself whatever it wants. Miami alumns and current students refer to their school as the U, and that doesn't cost a dime. I for one am just tired of seeing university money spent on a ____ing contest. Lets get back to what really brings prestigue and honor to a university. Academics and (yes) Athletics.
    There will not be a university dime spent on this. Period.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Drop Lafayette

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman
    If I remember correctly, I think this has been voted on by the students before, possibly before the 1984 name change. I think it actually failed then. So, the only precendent we have on this is a failure. I think if it works, great. If it doesn't work, we're still in the same place.

But I think it will work.
    If it was up for a vote then, I sure didn't know about it. I sure would have voted for the change. If that is truly the case, the student government failed in its duty to even let us know there was a vote.

21. Louisiana Student government wants UL name change

The Student Government Association (SGA) has decided to take on another endeavor. For the last seven years, this school has been referred to as the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. The SGA is now proposing to drop the latter preposition and rename the university to The University of Louisiana.

"I think it is a great opportunity for our university," said Trumaine Thomas, SGA president. "I strongly feel that this is our time."

The university has undergone numerous name changes during the past 108 years. Originally the Southwestern Louisiana Industrial Institute, the campus's land was donated to the city by the Girard family. Senator Robert Martin, after whom the building was named, proposed the legislation for the university to be built. Classes did not actually start until 1901, but the school was born in 1898.

The rest of the story

Author: Whitney Armentor

Good post. We went from a regional school to a "city" school because people wanted the U of L in our name figuring we'll drop the Lafayette later. We settled for less than we wanted, now we get ticked when we are called Lafayette. This student voting will have absolutely nothing to do with us getting Lafayette dropped from our name in reality.

The board and legislature of this state are NOT going to let us be mistaken for being LSU or on the same level.

We need as alumni to pour money into this school. Money talks and if you want to kick A _ _, that's what it will take.

Quote Originally Posted by showdog
    This student voting will have absolutely nothing to do with us getting Lafayette dropped from our name in reality.

The board and legislature of this state are NOT going to let us be mistaken for being LSU or on the same level.

We need as alumni to pour money into this school. Money talks and if you want to kick A _ _, that's what it will take.
    I agree, except for I would like to see for a fact that today's students do care about this issue.

24. Ragin' Cajuns Re: Drop Lafayette

A university can call itself whatever it wants. Miami alumns and current students refer to their school as the U, and that doesn't cost a dime. I for one am just tired of seeing university money spent on a ____ing contest. Lets get back to what really brings prestigue and honor to a university. Academics and (yes) Athletics.
    Apparently you have not read Louisiana law on this issue. The school can indeed not call itself what it wants but must use a more regional name when naming itself. Only LSU can call itself what it wants.

Quote Originally Posted by PWHebert
    Apparently you have not read Louisiana law on this issue. The school can indeed not call itself what it wants but must use a more regional name when naming itself. Only LSU can call itself what it wants.
    Pretty funny stuff there. And to an extent your right. It all comes down to the golden rule. Thoes with the gold make the rules.

26. USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998) Re: UL Students Want Name Change

USL all you have to do is drop the western, University of South Louisiana, but no it had to be University of Louisiana @ Lafayette and share it with @Monroe.

They lost any chance of uniqueness.

Stupid!

P.S. @monroe lost the Indian so we will probablly follow their lead!!!

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UL Students Want Name Change

Quote Originally Posted by Rocent
    USL all you have to do is drop the western, University of South Louisiana, but no it had to be University of Louisiana @ Lafayette and share it with @Monroe.

They lost any chance of uniqueness.

Stupid!

P.S. @monroe lost the Indian so we will probablly follow their lead!!!
    huh?

Z.

28. Default Re: UL Students Want Name Change

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy
    www.raginpagin.com/louisiana/ ->
    Yes you need to change the name of University of Louisiana at Lafayette. You should drop the Lafayette as there is no need to insult the city. Also drop the Louisiana, the state has already gone through a lot and should not be insulted by such dastardly organization carrying its name.

You should call youselves. The University of Lousy Cheaters. It keeps in the spirit of the off season practices, ineligible players playing the team, rampant dishonesty amongst top officials, corruption, fraud, racketeering by the management, trying to bring down the state's flagship university and causing more grief to a state already in the midst of grief and hardships.

This is an organization of crooks, cheaters, rogues etc.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread Information