Thread: 2006: From Dr. David Fisher Sr: UL Athletics needs Acadiana's support

1. Support 2006: From Dr. David Fisher Sr: UL Athletics needs Acadiana's support

I think it is appropriate that we in Acadiana do some soul-searching about a situation close to the hearts of many. I am referring to the support and attendance to UL athletic programs.

It is probably true that many of us feel this section of the state is largely responsible for fueling the economy, and take pride in that. However, during the rash of football bowl games in recent weeks, beginning with the New Orleans Bowl held at Cajun Field, something stuck out that prompted me to write.

The statistic that I am referring to was the attendance at the Independence Bowl held in Shreveport, which was over 41,000, and the attendance at the New Orleans Bowl here, which was around 18,000.

Obviously, had the Ragin' Cajuns represented the conference, attendance would have been considerably more. However, the two teams that played in Shreveport were not local - South Carolina and Missouri - and, while they undoubtedly brought many fans to the game, many people from Shreveport and North Louisiana supported the game with their attendance. That was not true here, and we missed an opportunity.

While the quality of play of our football team has improved markedly and attendance has grown, it is still nowhere near where it should be for such a prosperous area. A makeover of the athletic complex and improved recruiting has greatly enhanced the outlook of the football program in particular. However, this can largely be attributed to a rather small core of contributors - both financial and in-kind - led by the untiring efforts of Gerald Hebert.

It is fairly well accepted that nationwide, football programs fuel the economic support of college sports programs. So what are we waiting for? At what level must we compete for people to jump on the bandwagon?

What needs to happen is for more people to buy tickets to athletic events, then be sitting in those seats at kickoff, tip-off, when the first pitch is thrown, when the starting pistol is fired, etc.

We have many loyal, dedicated fans in all sports. We just need to spread the word and expand on that base.

The Advertiser

David Fisher
    Class of 1950
    LOUISIANA

Alumni Congratulations to Dr. David Fisher

Congratulations Dr. Fisher. Thank you for your service to our country! Thank you for being a Ragin' Cajun!

http://www.louisiana.edu/Advancement...2011/291.shtml

UL ALUMNI ASSOCIATION SPRING GALA HONORS DR. DAVID FISHER, SR.
    Saturday, April 14, 2012

"He was born in 1925 in Evangeline, LA, and attended Jennings High School. He participated in football, basketball, and track. After graduation, he entered the Army Aviation Cadet Program then received special B-29 radio training before embarking on an overseas tour of duty in Japan.

Fisher flew 22 combat missions and was honorably discharged in November 1945 – receiving the Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters, the Distinguished Flying Cross, and a combat ribbon for service in the Pacific."

3. Default Re: Congratulations to Dr. David Fisher

Nobody was as upset over the UL name issue as Coach Fisher he was/had been the head of the Alumni Association in addition to having taught at UL----he went to Baton Rouge and was very engaged with the fighting for our name!!!!

Default Re: Congratulations to Dr. David Fisher

I am friends with his kids that went to school with me at USL. I know he has to been great man because he raised some great kids. I know they are proud and should be!

Thanks for your service Dr Fisher we are all proud of your accomplishments. Thank your for your service to our country and our university.

Default Re: From Dr. David Fisher Sr: UL Athletics needs Acadiana's support

Awesome blast from the past.. A loyal USL/UL supporter for sure. Rest in Peace. Great Man

6. Default Re: From Dr. David Fisher Sr: UL Athletics needs Acadiana's support

Dr. Fisher had a vision in 2006 that has still not come to fruition.

Think about that.

What does that mean?

Isn’t it the same vision that we have seen on the board for the past 3 years?

We’re there not enough visionaries in charge for the last 15 years?

Is it a realistic vision at Louisiana?

You can bet that if it does not happen now and in the near future with the ones we have in charge, maybe it is just not a realistic vision at Louisiana.

This message is timely due to his passing. If it inspires attendance and support, his message will have a powerful impact.

Our only alum who was an Outstanding Graduate, Outstanding Alum, Spring Gala honoree, UL Hall of Fame inductee and a Past President of the Alumni Assoc. All that after surviving as a crew member in B-29 in WWII. It was fun to sit in front of Dave and his bud Al Hatteburg at Cajun Field. Lots of insight into game. Now I’ll miss them both. RIP, Coach.

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    Our only alum who was an Outstanding Graduate, Outstanding Alum, Spring Gala honoree, UL Hall of Fame inductee and a Past President of the Alumni Assoc. All that after surviving as a crew member in B-29 in WWII. It was fun to sit in front of Dave and his bud Al Hatteburg at Cajun Field. Lots of insight into game. Now I’ll miss them both. RIP, Coach.
    Wow, that’s impressive. RIP. Don’t know him, but thanks for his service to the country and to our university. Great ambassador.

I personally didn't know Mr. Fisher but he was a true Ragin Cajun!

Thank you Dr. Fisher for all you have done for our country and our university. I'm going to miss seeing you at the games. I always made it a point to stop and tell him Hi when we crossed paths. Rest in peace.

12. Default Re: From Dr. David Fisher Sr: UL Athletics needs Acadiana's support

Interesting look back at Dr. Fisher's article, considering Louisiana is now in the Independence bowl.

13. Default Re: From Dr. David Fisher Sr: UL Athletics needs Acadiana's support

Turbine, it’s the Independence Bowl . . . we are not going independent . . .

Thread Information