Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Basketball (Men) 1991-92

1. UL Basketball

1991-1992 record 20-10 NCAA
    Coach: Marty Fletcher
    Sun Belt regular-season co-champion
    Sun Belt automatic bid (won conference tournament)

W (13) seed
    Oklahoma W 87-83
    New Mexico State L 73-81

2. UL Basketball Historic 13 Seed Upsets in NCAA Tournament History

1992: Southwestern Louisiana over Oklahoma 87-83. The Ragin’ Cajuns hit 12 free throws in a row down the stretch to pull the upset in Tempe, Ariz.

Five players hit both ends of one-and-one attempts in the final 1:48, including four free throws in a row by Eric Mouton in the final 11 seconds. Southwestern Louisiana lost in the second round.

3. UL Basketball Cajuns to Honor 1992 Champions This Saturday Night

Last team to win a game in the NCAA Tournament.

Default Re: Cajuns to Honor 1992 Champions This Saturday Night

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    Last team to win a game in the NCAA Tournament.

Who can name the key guys off the 1992 team. I can tell you Eric Mouton and Marcus Stokes were senior co captains. The team started off so-so but got hot right when conference play started. Apparently some guys got in shape over the Christmas break. A Super Bowl Sunday OT win at South Alabama was a key win in conference play. Finally getting past UNO was also a highlight that year. Lots of good memories in that season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Who can name the key guys off the 1992 team. I can tell you Eric Mouton and Marcus Stokes were senior co captains. The team started off so-so but got hot right when conference play started. Apparently some guys got in shape over the Christmas break. A Super Bowl Sunday OT win at South Alabama was a key win in conference play. Finally getting past UNO was also a highlight that year. Lots of good memories in that season.
    Beating LaTech in the tournament finals. Michael Allen, Byron Starks, Todd "thrill" Hill.

6. Default Re: Cajuns to Honor 1992 Champions This Saturday Night

Incredible in-season turn around.

7. Default Re: Cajuns to Honor 1992 Champions This Saturday Night

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Three of my favorite underrated players of all time were on this team. The late Tony/Antoine Moore, C-Mack, Cedric Mackeyon and "The Thief of Bahgdad" Shawn Griggs. Tony Moore had one of the quickest first steps and sweetest 10-15 foot jumpers we have had. C-Mack was a beast underneath the basket, mostly picking up rebounds and easy baskets off of missed shots. He was a great complement to Marcus Stokes down low. Shawn Griggs, was a transfer from LSU that had some of the quickest hands I have ever saw. He led the team in steals that year and was fantastic at doing it. But every fan's favorite on that team was "WE WANT RUSS, WE WANT RUSS" Harris.

We all remember, Michael Allen, Carroll Boudreaux, Todd Hill, Eric Mouton, Byron Starks and Marcus Stokes, but this team was deeper than that. We had a number of roll players that really were fun to watch, one of my favorite teams ever at UL.

8. UL Basketball Re: Cajuns to Honor 1992 Champions This Saturday Night

At the end of a game with a lead you'd want Eric Mouton handling the ball.

Excuse my ignorance, but how Shawn Griggs get the nickname "the Thief of Bahgdad?"

Griggs wasn't on that team. He was on the 94 team.

In case anyone has an hour to blow today, here is the game:

12. Default Re: Cajuns to Honor 1992 Champions This Saturday Night

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Griggs wasn't on that team. He was on the 94 team.
    According to www.athleticnetwork.net he was on the 1992 team, he may have been on it sitting out his transfer year. But he was officially on the roster, I believe. He is listed on the team 92, 93 and 94. I think he played two of those years and 92 was his year he had to sit out. My bad on that, but technically he was on the roster.

You are right. He may have been sitting out. I didn't remember him playing.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Three of my favorite underrated players of all time were on this team. The late Tony/Antoine Moore, C-Mack, Cedric Mackeyon and "The Thief of Bahgdad" Shawn Griggs. Tony Moore had one of the quickest first steps and sweetest 10-15 foot jumpers we have had. C-Mack was a beast underneath the basket, mostly picking up rebounds and easy baskets off of missed shots. He was a great complement to Marcus Stokes down low. Shawn Griggs, was a transfer from LSU that had some of the quickest hands I have ever saw. He led the team in steals that year and was fantastic at doing it. But every fan's favorite on that team was "WE WANT RUSS, WE WANT RUSS" Harris.

We all remember, Michael Allen, Carroll Boudreaux, Todd Hill, Eric Mouton, Byron Starks and Marcus Stokes, but this team was deeper than that. We had a number of roll players that really were fun to watch, one of my favorite teams ever at UL.
    Once play an intramural game against Russ Harris after he exhausted his eligibility. Dude could stroke it! Made me realize just how good a D1 benchwarmer is. Asked him why he never got any playing time and he basically said the players were just a little too quick or too big for him to defend. Seemed like a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Once play an intramural game against Russ Harris after he exhausted his eligibility. Dude could stroke it! Made me realize just how good a D1 benchwarmer is. Asked him why he never got any playing time and he basically said the players were just a little too quick or too big for him to defend. Seemed like a great guy.
    Jacob Broussard is a current Ragin Cajun walk on. During the summer he plays pick up ball at Red Lerille's. He easily has one of the best perimeter shots of all the guys who play in the city. His range exceeds just about anyone in the area other than Sydney Grider. Of course his physical build limits him defensively at the D1 level Metry is right in that most do not understand how good a player you have to be to be on a D1 roster, even at the walk on level.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information