Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst . 9 16 17 18 19

Thread: The Book: 2002-2003 Basketball (Ragin'Cajuns)

I was at the game (a Tuba player for the 6th Man Ragin' Band).

We played hard all game long. In fact, in my opinion, the only time during the game that we were outhustled was for the first 2 minutes.

Like Jesse said, it wasn't so much a case of what was called, but rather a case of what wasn't. I'm not making excuses about this; the fouls called against ULL players were valid (90%, at least.that's a good ratio). But also, make no mistake about this: UAB played a dirty game. For most of the 2nd half, at least one Cajun involved in the offensive ball movement spent time on his back because of the force applied by the Blazers. Their defense was like glue, but sometimes they got a little too tight, you know? We should have shot at least 5 more free throws. At LEAST. But we were on their turf, and most of us in the band knew that, just like with the 2000 NCAA Tennessee game, if it was close at the end, we weren't coming out with a win. UAB was a hot team that most people would rather see advance than "some rinky dink team from the Bayou."

I must say that I was VERY impressed, and VERY proud of the effort that the team put forth last night. Since we blew out North Texas, we've played horrible basketball. Not Wednesday night. For the first time in over a month, we played a complete game. It's sad that our season ended on a night when everyone but about 10 fans and the band was against the Ragin Cajuns, but those of us supporting the Cajuns made sure they knew we were there. We gave 100% in our support, and they gave 100% on the court. It simply came down to the calls, and that's a real shame.

I hate to use the officiating as a scapegoat in any sport, but we beat those boys up and down the court for 38 minutes. But non calls and bogus call, pro-UAB, kept us from winning that game. All we can do now is look to next season, which promises to be another great one in the history of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Ragin Cajun books.

2. Default UAB nips Cajuns

BIRMINGHAM — The Louisiana's Ragin’ Cajuns’ stay in the Owens Corning NIT was a short one, and most certainly a painful one as the Cajuns dropped an 82-80 decision to the Alabama-Birmingham Blazers Wednesday in an extremely physical contest at Bartow Arena.

Five Cajun players had to leave the court with injuries during the course of the game, including senior guard Immanuel Washington, who was carted off on a stretcher after a mid-air collision with two UAB defenders.

The physical play definitely took its toll on the Cajuns down the stretch, as a bruised and battered Cajun team converted on only 8-of-18 free throws in the second half.

Despite the fact that the Cajuns seemed to be against the ropes most of the second half, Louisiana still had chances to win in the closing seconds.

The rest of the story

South Louisiana Publishing
    Brady Aymond
    baymond@theadvertiser.com

3. Default Birmingham not kind to Cajuns

BIRMINGHAM — If the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajun basketball team never visits Birmingham again this year, it will be too soon.

The Cajun made their second trip to Birmingham Wednesday night and left with their second loss as the University of Alabama-Birmingham Blazers survived the first round of the Owens Corning NIT with an 82-80 win before 5,343 at the Bartow Arena.

Louisiana’s first trip to Birmingham came in December, when the Cajuns dropped a 92-86 setback to Birmingham Southern.

Wednesday night’s game was a physical one in which the Cajuns had several opportunities to win slip right through their fingers. The Cajuns held an eight-point lead early in the first period, but UAB climbed back into the game with a 10-0 run that was sparked by a technical foul called on Cedric Williams after a scuffle broke out near the Cajun bench.

Williams’ technical was a product of him retaliating for two UAB defenders roughing up Brad Boyd after a timeout had been called, and the call resulted in a three-point swing.

The rest of the story

South Louisiana Publishing
    Brady Aymond
    baymond@theadvertiser.com

Originally posted by brockmeaux
    I was at the game (a Tuba player for the 6th Man Ragin' Band).

We played hard all game long. In fact, in my opinion, the only time during the game that we were outhustled was for the first 2 minutes.

Like Jesse said, it wasn't so much a case of what was called, but rather a case of what wasn't. I'm not making excuses about this; the fouls called against ULL players were valid (90%, at least.that's a good ratio). But also, make no mistake about this: UAB played a dirty game. For most of the 2nd half, at least one Cajun involved in the offensive ball movement spent time on his back because of the force applied by the Blazers. Their defense was like glue, but sometimes they got a little too tight, you know? We should have shot at least 5 more free throws. At LEAST. But we were on their turf, and most of us in the band knew that, just like with the 2000 NCAA Tennessee game, if it was close at the end, we weren't coming out with a win. UAB was a hot team that most people would rather see advance than "some rinky dink team from the Bayou."

I must say that I was VERY impressed, and VERY proud of the effort that the team put forth last night. Since we blew out North Texas, we've played horrible basketball. Not Wednesday night. For the first time in over a month, we played a complete game. It's sad that our season ended on a night when everyone but about 10 fans and the band was against the Ragin Cajuns, but those of us supporting the Cajuns made sure they knew we were there. We gave 100% in our support, and they gave 100% on the court. It simply came down to the calls, and that's a real shame.

I hate to use the officiating as a scapegoat in any sport, but we beat those boys up and down the court for 38 minutes. But non calls and bogus call, pro-UAB, kept us from winning that game. All we can do now is look to next season, which promises to be another great one in the history of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette Ragin Cajun books.

Awesome post!!! But don't be surprised if they take your ULL off the board

UL Basketball

Hey Brock, aren't you the LSU fan that frequents the Saints board and plays in UL's band?Did you wear your LSU hat at the game?

Originally posted by Chuck
    Awesome post!!! But don't be surprised if they take your ULL off the board
    Chuck, even though I do not agree with the use of ULL, we don't do that here.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default GURU!!!!

Man, it must s**k to go UL, when you'd rather be somewhere else.

Sorry, Brock, the tuba player.

Z.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst . 9 16 17 18 19

Thread Information