THIBODAUX - Logic says that any team that can invade SEC member Auburn, stay within five points with 3 1/2 minutes remaining and eventually fall 65-55 should be able to dust off a 1-7 Nicholls State squad.

That's what the Louisiana Ragin' Cajun women did last Saturday, so they should approach today's 6:30 p.m. contest at Stopher Gym against the Lady Colonels with confidence.

However, nothing is guaranteed against an opponent that often seems to give the Cajuns more than they bargained for despite UL's 29-18 overall series lead.

A last-second shot gave Nicholls a 59-57 victory in J. Kelley Hall's first game as the Cajuns' coach in 2002. UL won handily the next year (57-38), but NSU was causing headaches again last year at Earl K. Long Gym.

The Colonels were in position for the winning shot until Alicia McDaniel stole the ball on the baseline to save the day and preserve a 57-56 UL victory.

"I know they stayed close the whole game," McDaniel said before Tuesday's practice. "They were able to stick with us. Coach picked my number and told me to go out and defend. I just saw the ball and was able to get it.

"Coach would have been very upset if we had lost that game."

McDaniel will provide a good frame of reference for this game for the 8-2 Cajuns, many of whom will face Nicholls for the first time.

"We have to keep that in mind, that they can play," McDaniel said. "We've got to go out and play harder. If we start off with our defense, that will lead us the whole game."

The rest of the story

Bruce Brown
bbrown@theadvertiser.com