Thread: 2005 - Blackham works its magic. Ragin' Cajuns Win

1. UL Basketball 2005 - Blackham works its magic. Ragin' Cajuns Win

LOUISIANA La. – A 12-0 first-half run helped Louisiana’s Ragin’ Cajuns men’s basketball team pull away from Oral Roberts and race to a 95-74 victory here Thursday evening at Blackham Coliseum.

The scoring barrage by the Ragin’ Cajuns came after ORU’s Caleb Green hit the second shot of a two-shot foul with 12:28 remaining in the first half to cut the Louisiana-Lafayette lead to 14-12.

The resulting scoring spree by UL pushed the home team’s advantage to 26-12 with 9:20 left in the opening half and the closest the Golden Eagles could reach the rest of the contest was nine points at 28-19 on another free throw by Green at 7:41.

UL got a three-pointer from Ed Turner with just over six minutes to push the lead back into double figures where it stayed the reset of the night.

The win was the Ragin’ Cajuns (2-5) first home victory of the season and was the squad’s second victory in the current stretch of four games in seven days.

Five players scored in double figures for UL led by a season-high 22 points from Dwayne Mitchell. Mitchell finished short of his fourth consecutive double-double as he collected eight rebounds – his seventh straight game with at least eight boards.

Joining Mitchell in double figures were Chris Cameron (19 points), Ed Turner (19 points), Michael Southall (12 points) and Maurice Barksdale (10 points).

The rest of the story

LOUISIANA SI

2. UL Basketball Cajuns dominate both offense, defense

Oral Roberts entered the contest with the reputation as a solid team, but the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns quickly turned Thursday's Blackham Coliseum battle into a mismatch.

The host Cajuns did a thorough job of clipping the Golden Eagles' wings by the mid-point of the first half and were never truly threatened the rest of the way in a 95-74 statement victory.

"That's a good team we played," said Cajun senior guard Dwayne Mitchell, "but we let people know that we can play with good teams. Tonight is the way we're supposed to play every game."

The Cajuns (2-5) put five players in double figures and hit 61.5 percent of their shots - over 60 percent in each half - and at the same time held the Golden Eagles (5-4) to a 37.3 percentage (25-of-67).

"We couldn't make any shots," said ORU coach Scott Sutton. "We didn't get off to a good start, and our guards ended up struggling. We've got to get better guard play."

The Eagles, third-place finishers already this year in the prestigious Great Alaska Shootout, got better play from standout forward Caleb Green. The preseason Mid-Continent Conference Player of the Year finished with 31 points and 11 rebounds.

But Cajun coach Robert Lee figured on that, and had implored his team to clamp down on the rest of the ORU squad.

"We knew what kind of player Green was," Lee said. "He showed what he could do, but nobody else hurt us."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Default Re: Blackham works its magic. Ragin' Cajuns Win

Great game last night it was magical. Dwayne has been doing it all year the difference on the way the season goes will be Cameron

I'm ready to get back in the dome. Blackham was cool for the first game but it is time to get back in the dome. Here is why, Again last night from my seats i couldn't see the score board because of the banners hanging. At times it was so quiet i could hear the A/C buzzing over the crowd. It is also very hot at the top even in the winter. The biggest thing of all there is no beer! Which has everything to do with the crowd noise. I agree when people decide to get off their a---s and cheer it does get loud but that happens for about 10 seconds and its quiet again. People just are not into the game as much. We have had pretty poor attendence at the games also. I know our record may be reflecting that but it just seeems like more people enjoy going to the dome. I think the players like the dome better also. It is just more of a big time atmosphere. Anyway, go cajuns, ready for some dome foam!

UL Basketball Re: Blackham works its magic. Ragin' Cajuns Win

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun
    I'm ready to get back in the dome. Blackham was cool for the first game but it is time to get back in the dome.
    Right on!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    the difference on the way the season goes will be Cameron
    ____ I hope I didn't jinx him. The way he was playing last night I was excited. Now he may not be back this season.

Anyone know what Dwayne Mitchell and Chris Cameron are up to?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Anyone know what Dwayne Mitchell and Chris Cameron are up to?
    Don't know about Chris, but I think for the last two years Dwayne is playing ball in Israel.

Chris was playing in Austrailia.

Thread Information