Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ole Miss Lands Freeze

Default Re: Freeze expected to be offered, accept Ole Miss job today

They aren't diehards if they disappear during hunting season.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefsfan View Post
    We dont have the dual fans like you guys do. UL has the ability to bring in LSU fans and fans of other programs to watch games. The Arkansas media pretends we dont exist and Razorback fans see us as a low level FCS program. We have a strong group of diehards, but even some of those dissappear once hunting season starts.

We have an entire generation of alumini from the mid 90's to around 2004 that watched a program that essentially averaged between 2 and 3 wins a year. Many of those got frustrated and became Razorback fans and we havent seen them back since.

Its going to take a lot more then a 10 win season to bring our fans back, its going to take a change in culture, something many of our fans dont think we have the AD for.
    Chief, from what little I saw, yall have nothing but dual fans. Every other car in the parking lot had Razorback plates, stickers, & such. I saw several vehicles at the LSU game with both ASU & Arkansas logos too. This includes the the person who drew up your logo & your SID as well as your coach. I don't know when & where you think the interview with Freeze took place, but it occured the day after Thanksgiving.

We dont have the dual fans like you guys do. UL has the ability to bring in LSU fans and fans of other programs to watch games. The Arkansas media pretends we dont exist and Razorback fans see us as a low level FCS program. We have a strong group of diehards, but even some of those dissappear once hunting season starts.

We have an entire generation of alumini from the mid 90's to around 2004 that watched a program that essentially averaged between 2 and 3 wins a year. Many of those got frustrated and became Razorback fans and we havent seen them back since.

Its going to take a lot more then a 10 win season to bring our fans back, its going to take a change in culture, something many of our fans dont think we have the AD for.
    I would be willing to bet that the vast majority of lsua&mc@br fans also still consider UL to be a regional, division 2 school. If you ask some of them right now, they'll tell you they didn't know the CAJUNS were going to the New Orleans Bowl, nor would they care.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Very honest appraisal of your program. UL doesn't get "LSU only" fans. We do have a significant group of dual fans, but the bigger advantage UL has is the population of the area we're in, the employment availability to our alumni, coupled with their desire to live in south Louisiana. We had really nice attendance numbers with only the hope of a better year. That was without any notable or exciting opponents in those home games. We are in a better (in almost every respect) situation than any other team in the SBC as far as fans go.

Regardless, congratulations on one heck of a year. I hope if Freeze does leave, your fans don't melt down and you go find another good coach. That's our plan if we lose Hudspeth. No meltdowns will be allowed. We decided we'd castrate any man in the UL family that cries about the coaching situation. No one yet has offered up their jewels.

We like our AD. Our culture changed with a change in our university leadership and it "resulted" in the hiring of Hudspeth. I'm very confident about our football future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandwagon King View Post
    Kansas should be so lucky. BTW, I just heard the craziest thing whtching the Texans Atl. game. They said the guy playing for the Texans is the FIRST No. Car. graduate to start an NFL game.
    First QB to start an NFL game.

Chief, from what little I saw, yall have nothing but dual fans. Every other car in the parking lot had Razorback plates, stickers, & such. I saw several vehicles at the LSU game with both ASU & Arkansas logos too. This includes the the person who drew up your logo & your SID as well as your coach. I don't know when & where you think the interview with Freeze took place, but it occured the day after Thanksgiving.
    I know the interview took place close to Thanksgiving.It was the unofficial interview.meaning no one has to claim it happened.

We're not all dual fans. But we have a signficant percentage of some of our better fans who have fallen into thsi trap that you are supposed to support all Arkansas schools. I dont consider any of them diehards.

Both our AD and assistant SID are Arkansas grads, the Assistant SID has faced nothing but criticism for showing up at that game from everyone except our AD. Eventually we're going to have to make a move to fully seperate us from Arkansas shadow.im just not sure when that move will come.

I know the interview took place close to Thanksgiving.It was the unofficial interview.meaning no one has to claim it happened.

We're not all dual fans. But we have a signficant percentage of some of our better fans who have fallen into thsi trap that you are supposed to support all Arkansas schools. I dont consider any of them diehards.

Both our AD and assistant SID are Arkansas grads, the Assistant SID has faced nothing but criticism for showing up at that game from everyone except our AD. Eventually we're going to have to make a move to fully seperate us from Arkansas shadow.im just not sure when that move will come.
    For what it's worth I thought your town was clean & easy to get around. Your people were very hopitable & the country I saw when I went west & northwest was gorgeous. The only problem was yall WON THE GAME. That wasn't very nice at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy4713 View Post
    as far as Freeze to Ole Miss, I am hearing conflicting reports. If it is him, he is a past Ole Miss coach and knows the deal here. He can recruit and will do a good job. No doubt Ole Miss is loaded at certain skill positions, he will need 2-3 years to recruit OL/DL. Thats where they got beat all year long. Will Ole Miss fans give him 3 years to turn it around, thats the million dollar question. I know it might not be the big name they wanted, but a solid hire none the less

They're getting Freeze by default. Fedora could be Big 12 bound. Smart withdrew. They didn't have much choice.

This might be the most mismanaged coaching search from an AQ school I've seen in recent memory.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    They're getting Freeze by default. Fedora could be Big 12 bound. Smart withdrew. They didn't have much choice.

This might be the most mismanaged coaching search from an AQ school I've seen in recent memory.
    What do you expect BOP, it's Ole Miss. They definitely overestimate their value as a program and their place in the SEC West. They screwed up by firing Cutclif and then hiring Bebe. It will take a miracle worker to turn that program into a title contender.

Archie and the boys screwed the pooch big time.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    What do you expect BOP, it's Ole Miss. They definitely overestimate their value as a program and their place in the SEC West. They screwed up by firing Cutclif and then hiring Bebe. It will take a miracle worker to turn that program into a title contender.

Archie and the boys screwed the pooch big time.
    They did exactly what they intended to do. They know their place in the SEC West & are quite content with it. Assuming the reports are correct, I told you guys a week ago that the Manning committee was in Baton Rouge last Friday & met with someone. That someone was Freeze. They want a guy who will work for cheap, won't make waves, someone they can invite to the country club for Sunday afternoon lunch if there happens to be a big win on Saturday, & someone they can sacrifice on the coaching altar & replace with another like him when the fan base gets too restless. Just keep sending in those big fat BCS & network checks.

They did exactly what they intended to do. They know their place in the SEC West & are quite content with it. Assuming the reports are correct, I told you guys a week ago that the Manning committee was in Baton Rouge last Friday & met with someone. That someone was Freeze. They want a guy who will work for cheap, won't make waves, someone they can invite to the country club for Sunday afternoon lunch if there happens to be a big win on Saturday, & someone they can sacrifice on the coaching altar & replace with another like him when the fan base gets too restless. Just keep sending in those big fat BCS & network checks.
    Not with how Houston Nutt was over signing. They wanted to win.they just over signed the wrong way.Bama and LSU have mastered the practice of over signing.

http://stats.nola.com/cfb/story.asp?.f=hea&tm=&src=

Reports indicate Freeze has accepted and it will be announced this afternoon. The article states that it is not known if Freeze will coach the Red Wolves in the bowl. (I would think it's unlikely Ol Miss will let him stay on the job that long.)

I feel for the ASU fans. This is a tough pill for a fan to have to swallow. I hope we do not experience the same thing this year.

UL & ASU have a long history, and by and large an amicable one. We hosted you for the NO Bowl a few years back, and one of our alumni designed your stadium (haven't you ever wondered why our stadiums are so similar?)

You don't have strong local support, and you pay your head coach worse than we pay ours-- but look for our HC pay to move up fast And UA dominates the state (a few years ago I was stunned to hear a UA advertisement on one of your football broadcasts).

First, the bad news. We have several advantages you don't, and I can't see you getting.

1) Large local population base.

2) Wealthy local population base.

3) LSU is an hour away. You might think that's a negative, but it helps; we constantly run into their alumni who put us down. It's one helluva motivator.

4) An unusual local culture. I'm not talking accordions and crawfish, there is is something fiercely independent and ambitious in the locals, and I'm not talking 'American Idol' ambitious. People here love a challenge, and there are enough of us who enjoy watching the underdog win to make for a pretty fun environment.

Having said that, my offer to you? Do what some of us have been doing for years, agitate. Complain to local merchants, complain to local media, complain to the athletic and academic administration, complain to your students and alumni who support UA, and who show up on your campus wearing Razorback gear.

Right now everyone is mad at government. Funny thing is, WE are the government. We're in a mess because most of us sit around at bars and on the Internet griping, but we never pick up the phone or send an eMail. But it's amazing how few people it takes for that to be effective. I'm talking from experience here, I got a bill through the Legislature, past the opposition of the last Long in state politics, by motivating a very small group of people.

The same thing is true of your university. You get together 20 people who stop whining on the boards and start publicly standing up for ASU, and who are willing to do so for several years, you will be amazed. You don't have to scream and curse, just constantly and resolutely complain. Send eMails, write letters to the editor, complain in person.

In a few years, it will be hundreds. Trust me on this, I've watched it happen here.

But you have to be patient The first few years will show almost no movement whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post

Oh, the stories I could tell you about Ole Miss. One of the reasons I went to grad school there was because I wanted to find out why my Mom hated northern Mississippi so much.

I forgot about that until it all fell apart. I saw a lot of dysfunction up there, and except for their campus (it's really beautiful), I can't think of anything at UM I would want for UL.

It's mostly a society campus. As one disgruntled Ole Miss alum said, "Hoddy toddy, be somebody."

They don't do much well up there.

http://olemiss.247sports.com/Article.AD-COACH-51714

Can't wait to see the salary

Anyone hear if Hud got a raise yet?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information