Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WHAT?!!

Default WHAT?!!

So Southern Miss wins 11 games, beats the #6 team in the BCS standings in their final game, and wins their conference, and they are rewarded with a huge money-losing trip to play a 7-5 WAC team in a bowl game? Absolutely ridiculous. If I'm Larry Fedora, I take the first job offered to me, anywhere.

The good news is, when Fedora does go, would Hud want to go a place that gets treated that way?

Default Re: WHAT?!!

USM CHOSE this game as a reward to the players with a trip to Hawaii. They are going exactly where the univ wanted to go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Antiwac View Post
    USM CHOSE this game as a reward to the players with a trip to Hawaii. They are going exactly where the univ wanted to go.
    That doesn't quite jive with the things I've read, but if so, ok.

Just curious, but where did you hear (or read) that?

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    That doesn't quite jive with the things I've read, but if so, ok.

Just curious, but where did you hear (or read) that?
    I'm fairly certain that was a comment I heard in an interview right after the game.

We are a little new to this bowl stuff but they aren't and realize that it is probably a losing proposition (money wise) no matter where they go. Why not spend a little more if you have it and treat these kids to a week in Hawaii. Sure gives you some nice things to talk about to some 18 year old kids you are recruting as well. I mean if your recruiting a kid what would you rather show him? White sand beaches and bikinis or blue smurf turf and a goosedown jacket.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    I'm fairly certain that was a comment I heard in an interview right after the game.

We are a little new to this bowl stuff but they aren't and realize that it is probably a losing proposition (money wise) no matter where they go. Why not spend a little more if you have it and treat these kids to a week in Hawaii. Sure gives you some nice things to talk about to some 18 year old kids you are recruting as well. I mean if your recruiting a kid what would you rather show him? White sand beaches and bikinis or blue smurf turf and a goosedown jacket.
    I just looked into it a little more, and while the university may have chosen that path, it was AFTER they were passed over by the Liberty Bowl, and the fan base is VERY unhappy. I also saw something about Fedora being in North Carolina today to interview for the Tar Heels' job. And they were referring to Fedora as "Luau Larry". Hahaha.

Guys, I couldn't figure out how to start my own thread, so read this:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/.ch-report-says

Hugh is going to Ole Miss.

Well College Football is a game of numbers.like how much money do you have, how much money can you get, and how much money can you lose. Picking to go to Hawaii instead of the Liberty Bowl doesn't "jive" with normal college football thought. Sounds like a big ____ burger from CUSA for screwing up their BCS soggy dream. I have seen Dog the Bounty Hunter.Hawaii looks nice but is not all rainbows and champagne. Lots of meth apparently. They must be cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Sounds like a big ____ burger from CUSA for screwing up their BCS soggy dream.
    I was kind of thinking the same thing. It seems like CUSA is ____ed about them beating Houston and screwing up their BCS shot. Yet another reason to do away with the conference title games, especially in the non-AQ leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    I just looked into it a little more, and while the university may have chosen that path, it was AFTER they were passed over by the Liberty Bowl, and the fan base is VERY unhappy. I also saw something about Fedora being in North Carolina today to interview for the Tar Heels' job. And they were referring to Fedora as "Luau Larry". Hahaha.
    That is correct. The USM media members, coaches and players hoped they wouldn't get passed over by the Liberty Bowl, but that's exactly what happened.

What about Houston? Go unbeaten in the regular season, one step from BCS bowl. Now the Cougars - and C-USA - lose millions of dollars, and they're in a mid-tier bowl.

What about WKU? Win seven games, finish second in the Sun Belt with one of the nation's most productive running backs and no bowl.

Meanwhile, teams like UCLA (losing record, no coach) and Illinois (no coach) are bowling.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    That is correct. The USM media members, coaches and players hoped they wouldn't get passed over by the Liberty Bowl, but that's exactly what happened.

What about Houston? Go unbeaten in the regular season, one step from BCS bowl. Now the Cougars - and C-USA - lose millions of dollars, and they're in a mid-tier bowl.

What about WKU? Win seven games, finish second in the Sun Belt with one of the nation's most productive running backs and no bowl.

Meanwhile, teams like UCLA (losing record, no coach) and Illinois (no coach) are bowling.

Yeah, those smelly hippie protesters need to go occupy the NCAA.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

CUSA should have pulled the two university presidents aside and said "we are not having a conference championship game this year". USM is no slouch and that game was up for grabs no matter how you slice it. I would have looked at the cost to the conference with a Houston loss and shut that game down. I would not have cared how much grief resulted from shutting down the conference championship game. there was too much at risk.

I feel bad for Rainey. not so much for WKU (well. maybe Dabeed). Now that it's back to a 6 game eligibility with no special provision for 7 win teams, "at-large" basically means "whoever you want that's available". that is how that cookie crumbles. It sucks when you're on that side of the raw deal, but bowl committees are looking at the dollars. Been there, done that. got the t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    CUSA should have pulled the two university presidents aside and said "we are not having a conference championship game this year". USM is no slouch and that game was up for grabs no matter how you slice it. I would have looked at the cost to the conference with a Houston loss and shut that game down. I would not have cared how much grief resulted from shutting down the conference championship game. there was too much at risk.

I feel bad for Rainey. not so much for WKU (well. maybe Dabeed). Now that it's back to a 6 game eligibility with no special provision for 7 win teams, "at-large" basically means "whoever you want that's available". that is how that cookie crumbles. It sucks when you're on that side of the raw deal, but bowl committees are looking at the dollars. Been there, done that. got the t-shirt.
    Yeah, now the pilllpoppers can HAVE IT!!

Wouldnt it have made more sense to send SDST to Hawaii and USM to NewOrleans??

Quote Originally Posted by LOUISIANA RAGIN View Post
    Wouldnt it have made more sense to send SDST to Hawaii and USM to NewOrleans??
    Who's doing the sending ($$$), and why would we want any part of USM this year? Geographically, yeah it makes sense. But putting together teams that ordinarily wouldn't play each other is part of the appeal of bowl games.

P.S. Call us SDSU

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information