Thread: Sampy scores 1st TD ever in Inagural Magnolia Gridiron Classic

1. UL Football Sampy scores 1st TD ever in Inagural Magnolia Gridiron Classic

For the fourth time in the Rickey Bustle era for the UL Ragin' Cajun football program, a Cajun player will be representing the program in a postseason All-Star game.

Senior wide receiver Bill Sampy of Carencro High has accepted an invitation to participate in the inaugural Magnolia Gridiron Classic.

The game will be played at 11 a.m. on Christmas Eve at Veterans Memorial Stadium in Jackson, Miss.

C.C. Brown, Charles Tillman and Ivan Taylor were the previous three and all three are currently playing defensive back in the NFL.

Sampy, who is scheduled to graduate on Saturday, caught a pass in 40 consecutive games to end his career - a streak that ranks him nationally.

He finished with 1,988 career receiving yards, which ranks him fifth in school history.

He led the Cajuns in receptions and yards receiving this season.

Television rights for the game is scheduled to be announced today.

The rest of the story

Homes SO Clean

Default Re: Sampy picked as a post season All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy
    Nice honor for Mr. Sampy...

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Sampy picked as a post season All-Star

If we keep getting a few a year, the big 4 & 5 star recruits will start thinking; you know I don't have to go to LSU A&M and sit the bench for 3 years to make it into the NFL or get noticed. They can come here and shine for 3-4 years and have scouts coming to see them.

4. Default Re: Sampy picked as a post season All-Star

Magnolia Classic is Today Dec. 24:

Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium will be the scene of the Magnolia Gridiron All-Star Classic, which will pit Division I-A players against Division I-AA, Division II and other players, on Saturday, Dec. 24, at 11 a.m.

"All these players need an all-star game (since) the Gridiron, Blue-Gray and HBCU games (are) not being played," said Las Vegas All-American Classic CEO Dary Alton, who is spearheading the effort for the new game.

Three daily practices at Millsaps preceded todays game.

The staffs of Kentucky and Northwestern State will coach the teams. For more information, call Alton at (435) 673-6402.

Homes SO Clean

Default Re: Sampy picked as a post season All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS
    Nice honor for Mr. Sampy...

Did he pass the drug test for this game? Does anyone know?

Default Re: Today 11am: Sampy in Magnolia Gridiron Classic

Sampy had a 41-yard Touchdown catch..

can't find a box score anywhere though to see if he did anything else. Good for him though.

7. Default Sampy scores TD in Inagural Magnolia Gridiron Classic

JACKSON, Miss. - Former Carencro and Louisiana standout Bill Sampy provided one of the highlights for the winning White Team in Saturday's Magnolia Gridiron All-Star Classic.

Sampy hauled in a 41-yard touchdown pass from Matt Bohnet of Eastern Michigan for the first score of the day in a 19-7 victory for the White Team.

Also for the White squad, UL Monroe's Steven Jyles passed for 80 yards and a touchdown and ran for 31 more yards to lead the victory.

Jyles was the Offensive Player of the Year in the Sun Belt Conference, despite losing to Sampy and the Ragin' Cajuns 54-21 in the season finale, while EMU's Bohnet also faced UL's Cajuns during the 2005 season.

"I can throw the ball. I really didn't get to show my arm off," Jyles said. "But my ability to run and throw the ball, I hope they find interest in that."

Jyles finished 6-of-10 passing with a 7-yard touchdown pass to Boone Stutz of Texas A&M and one interception.

Sampy caught a pass in 40 consecutive games in which he played for the Cajuns, and completed his college career ranked fifth in UL receiving yardage with 1,988.

The rest of the story

Homes SO Clean

8. UL Football Sampy's effort pleases Bustle

The inaugural Magnolia Gridiron All-Star Classic didn't draw very many fans, but that wasn't important to Bill Sampy and the other college football players that took part in the season's first all-star contest for senior players.

What was important was the three days of practice that included visits from a number of NFL scouts.

"Any time you can play in a game like that, any extra game, it's a benefit," said University of Louisiana coach Rickey Bustle. "If people can see you, that helps you."

Sampy, the Ragin' Cajuns' leading receiver (29 catches, 399 yards) as a senior this year, was invited to play on the Division I-A team that defeated its I-AA counterparts 17-9 Saturday in Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium in Jackson, Miss.

Sampy caught a 41-yard touchdown pass from Eastern Michigan's Matt Bohnet - ironically, one of the teams the Cajuns lost to during their 1-5 start - for one of the White Team's two scores.

"I was proud to see that he caught a touchdown pass," said Bustle. "I hope this helps him get a chance for people to take a longer look at him."

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Homes SO Clean

Thread Information