Thread: Question on NO Bowl qualifier

SLII 1901-1921 Question on NO Bowl qualifier

Does UL go if they simply beat ULM, or do the Cajuns need NT to beat ASU as well?

If I'm reading the standing correctly, UL beating ULM would give them the same record (with UL getting the tie-breaker on head-to-head). But if ASU wins, they'd also have the same record (with a head-to-head advantage over UL).

Can someone break it down for me? Thanks!

Default Re: Question on NO Bowl qualifier

Quote Originally Posted by KimoSC
    Does UL go if they simply beat ULM, or do the Cajuns need NT to beat ASU as well?

If I'm reading the standing correctly, UL beating ULM would give them the same record (with UL getting the tie-breaker on head-to-head). But if ASU wins, they'd also have the same record (with a head-to-head advantage over UL).

Can someone break it down for me? Thanks!
    You are correct.UL must win and have NT beat ASU to get in the bowl game.However a Cajun win regardless of what ASU does would give us a share of the conference titleGo Cajuns.

3. Default Re: Question on NO Bowl qualifier

For some reason . . . If UL wins and ASU wins . . .

Instead of determining conference champs first and picking eligibles from the top. . .

The Sunbelt would go straight to bowl eligible and eliminating Monroe immediately.

also.

If ULM loses they are not bowl eligible.

Unfortunate for the Cajuns, as a three-way tie would have likely gone to the Cajuns.

We can only control whatever it is we do.
    and that is, hopefully, out-# the home teams' fans tomorrow night!!!

GEAUX CAJUNS!!!!!!

5. Default Re: Question on NO Bowl qualifier

Great pics P

SLII 1901-1921 Re: Question on NO Bowl qualifier

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    For some reason . . . If UL wins and ASU wins . . .

Instead of determining conference champs first and picking eligibles from the top. . .

The Sunbelt would go straight to bowl eligible and eliminating Monroe immediately.
    You have to like NT at home over ASU, right?

You have to like NT at home over ASU, right?
    You know it!!!!

The IRONY is in the fact that ASU wants us to win as bad as we want them to lose.

It's the old addage
    "conference parity makes strange bedfellows."

Quote Originally Posted by Pirogue
    You know it!!!!

The IRONY is in the fact that ASU wants us to win as bad as we want them to lose.

It's the old addage
    "conference parity makes strange bedfellows."
    Just checked the odds and was surprised to see the ASU is favored at NT. Wouldn't have thought that. Should be an intersesting day.

Just checked the odds and was surprised to see the ASU is favored at NT. Wouldn't have thought that. Should be an intersesting day.
    Indeed! I am a bit surprised by ASU being favored at the home of the perennial SBC kingpin. However, UNT has been having a rough year. But ASU has been terrible on the road. I like UNT to win (naturally) and I think they will. We shall see how it plays out. Also, the line on our game has narrowed down to 2 points (ULM favored at home). I view that as a good sign. I hope we really "bring it" tomorrow afternoon!

How did you like the Texas-Texas A&M game today? The TV talking heads were saying Coach Carroll was licking his chops after watching a lowly Aggie team rip runs on the Longhorn D. My take is a little bit different. In an intense rivalry game, the Aggies were very fired up at home today and played a very good (though not error-free) game. I think it is somewhat like the closeness of USC's game vs. Fresno - a bit misleading. UT vs. USC should be a very good Rose Bowl game, assuming both sides win out.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2
    How did you like the Texas-Texas A&M game today? The TV talking heads were saying Coach Carroll was licking his chops after watching a lowly Aggie team rip runs on the Longhorn D. My take is a little bit different. In an intense rivalry game, the Aggies were very fired up at home today and played a very good (though not error-free) game. I think it is somewhat like the closeness of USC's game vs. Fresno - a bit misleading. UT vs. USC should be a very good Rose Bowl game, assuming both sides win out.
    The Texas game was interesting. I didn't think they were really in danger, but they looked mortal. I was surprised that the horrible aTm D was able to harrass Young so much - the guy is great but makes mistakes under pressure (2 turnovers and a fumble the Horns got back). That being said, I don't think this game is indicative of how they will play in a bowl - we had a similar game with ucla last year, but it didn't resemble how we played in the Orange Bowl.

I'm taking nothing for granted ('cept maybe beating ucla next week!), though I like our chances if we get to the Rose Bowl. Our D is down this year (early exit and a whole bunch of bad injuries have hurt) and we could get gashed by UT (#2 in total O). But barring injury next week, our depth should be its best all season for the bowl game. And if we have anything going for us, it's that our coaching staff has been outstanding in preparing the team for bowl play.

Hopefully this game gives our coaching staff some ideas on how to attack UT's D (other than going with the option, which we don't ever do). I have to believe that we're still going to have to outscore them in a high-scoring game, a la that Fresno game last week. Should be fun!

Thread Information