Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Opponent: Last call for a bowl

1. UL Football Opponent: Last call for a bowl

The stakes are higher in the 2005 Battle of the Bayou.

Louisiana-Monroe wrapped up a share of the Sun Belt championship with its 24-19 win over North Texas on Saturday in Denton, Texas.

If ULM (5-5, 5-1 SBC) holds the winning hand this week against rival Louisiana-Lafayette, the Indians will be the sole Sun Belt champion and represent the league in the New Orleans Bowl in Lafayette. By beating the Cajuns, the Indians can also clinch their first non-losing season since moving to Division I-A in 1994.

"This is one of our biggest rivalry games," ULM quarterback Steven Jyles said. "It's going to be nice. That game will be fun to watch. I know they'll come in to keep the championship in their hands as well."

Tied for second place in the Sun Belt and angling for its own postseason possibility, ULL (5-5, 4-2) should be rested and ready to give ULM a challenge Saturday at Malone Stadium. While ULM was focusing on North Texas, the Ragin' Cajuns had an open date to prepare for the rivalry game.

The Ragin' Cajuns were the hottest team in the league going into their bye. ULL has four wins in a row, including a 28-7 decision over Florida International on Nov. 12. The Ragin' Cajuns opened league play 0-2 before their resurgence.

"We've been under the gun here and we've got four in a row," ULL coach Rickey Bustle said. "Three of them have been by three points, with last-second heroics and all kinds of things. This may come at a good time."

Lafayette was named the host city for the New Orleans Bowl after Hurricane Katrina, and the Ragin' Cajuns could reach a postseason bowl on their home field with a win over ULM and an Arkansas State loss to North Texas. Arkansas State holds the tiebreaker edge over ULL with a win over the Cajuns.

Bustle isn't mulling the scenarios outside his control.

The rest of the story

By Paul J. Letlow
    pletlow@thenewsstar.com

Default Re: Opponent: Last call for a bowl

"The second annual "Camo Day" allows fans 18 and older who attend wearing camouflage garb eligible to register to win a John Deere Buck 500 four-wheeler donated by Delta Ridge Implement. Five contestants will be chosen at random and each will select a key to try in the ignition of the four-wheeler. The recipient of the key that starts the engine will be the winner."

Cletus (ULM fan): Well gaaaah-lee Joe-bob, they gonna give away one uh them cottin pickin fancy 4 wheeler thangs. I could maybe win it and have me a new vehicle to go back and forth from my dainty little country cabin to my chicken farm day job.

Joe bob: yeup. Maybe it might even compensate for your less-than-adequate-extremely-unsexy-cuz-it-doesn't-live-up-to-North-Louisiana-Redneck-Country-standards mullet.

Cletus (ULM fan): yeeehaw!!!!!

This is the funniest shyte I've seen in some time. I mean, I know us Cajuns like to hunt and all, but givin away a 4-wheeler? That's the most redneck thing I've ever seen associated with college football. Let's hope the Ragin' Cajuns crush the UL-Dumbroe Rednecks, and put 'em in our gumbo. Er. on second thought, no rednecks in the gumbo. That'd make it taste like ||||.

God Bless

Default Re: Opponent: Last call for a bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    "The second annual "Camo Day" allows fans 18 and older who attend wearing camouflage garb eligible to register to win a John Deere Buck 500 four-wheeler donated by Delta Ridge Implement. Five contestants will be chosen at random and each will select a key to try in the ignition of the four-wheeler. The recipient of the key that starts the engine will be the winner."

Cletus (ULM fan): Well gaaaah-lee Joe-bob, they gonna give away one uh them cottin pickin fancy 4 wheeler thangs. I could maybe win it and have me a new vehicle to go back and forth from my dainty little country cabin to my chicken farm day job.

Joe bob: yeup. Maybe it might even compensate for your less-than-adequate-extremely-unsexy-cuz-it-doesn't-live-up-to-North-Louisiana-Redneck-Country-standards mullet.

This is the funniest shyte I've seen in some time. I mean, I know us Cajuns like to hunt and all, but givin away a 4-wheeler? That's the most redneck thing I've ever seen associated with college football. Let's hope the Ragin' Cajuns crush the UL-Dumbroe Rednecks, and put 'em in our gumbo. Er. on second thought, no rednecks in the gumbo. That'd make it taste like ||||.

God Bless
    Can they really be co-champs when we beat them?

4. Default Re: Opponent: Last call for a bowl

Quote Originally Posted by Sid

God Bless
    Classic!!! THat's exactly what I was thinking when I read about it but you articulated it SO much better than I would have. GEAUX CAJUNS!!! KILL monroe!!!

5. UL Football Opponent: Get Ready UL Weatherbie has Indians primed

Once his first season was done in 2003, Charlie Weatherbie sized up his UL Monroe football team and concocted a formula.

If the Indians could cut back on their turnovers, increase their takeaways, and show some gumption at the end of those close games, the pendulum would tilt in ULM's favor.

Fast forward to today, and you finally have a ULM football team that plays football the Weatherbie way. The Indians have more takeaways than turnovers and they can win close games.

As simple as it sounds, the man's mantra has taken root with this football team. And because of that, ULM will beat UL Lafayette on Saturday, win the Sun Belt Conference championship and go to the New Orleans Bowl in Lafayette.

These are heady days for ULM fans. Just two seasons ago, their team was 1-11. The program was covered with the stink of losing. But, little did they know, their championship team was taking root that season.

We take you back to a winnable game for ULM against North Texas during that horrific 2003 season - the first under Weatherbie.

This was when UNT was still the big dog in the Sun Belt, riding a 15-game winning streak at the time. The Indians lost 28-26, but could have won it with a credible two-minute drive.

Instead, the Indians mounted a lurching effort that ended with a turnover on downs at the ULM 42.

ULM looked as shaky as a newborn colt trying for the late heroics.

This year, things are different. Five of ULM's six Sun Belt games have been decided by a touchdown or less. The two-minute drill is now as second nature as breathing.

The rest of the story

News-Star
    Paul Letlow
    (318) 362-0267
    pletlow@thenewsstar.com

UL Football Re: Opponent: Get Ready UL Weatherbie has Indians primed

Hope our football team and coaches have read this, could add the needed fuel to the fire!!

Daddy Cajun

Default Re: Opponent: Get Ready UL Weatherbie has Indians primed

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun
    Hope our football team and coaches have read this, could add the needed fuel to the fire!!

Daddy Cajun
    I agree we need to make this guy eat his words

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun

Daddy Cajun
    Articl Quote:
    "Stick around and enjoy the drama. The celebration at the end will be worth it."

I hope he sticks around to watch our celebration.

Why is this story running in the Lafayette paper?

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2
    Why is this story running in the Lafayette paper?
    It's not, unless the DA changed names to the News Star this morning and didn't tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun
    It's not, unless the DA changed names to the News Star this morning and didn't tell me.
    It did run in the DA. It was right underneath B. Brown's article. It wouldn't surprise me if they both ran in the Monroe paper also. It's just to get everybody fired up.

I just checked their website. Both articles did run in the News Star, as in the DA.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowley Cajun
    I just checked their website. Both articles did run in the News Star, as in the DA.
    OK, that makes more sense.

Default Remember Mr. Letlow's article?

Remember the article that Paul Letlow wrote and was published in our paper and in the News Star? Well, I thought that I would have a little fun with him. Here's my email that I sent him.

Dear Mr. Letlow,

I just wanted to write to you concerning an article that your wrote on 11/25/05 labeled, "Weatherbie Way will pay off with bowl". Just in case that you have forgotten it, here's a link.

Link:
    http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.39/1006/NEWS17

There's one particular quote that caught my eye. "Stick around and enjoy the drama. The celebration at the end will be worth it. "

So, did you stick around at the end and enjoy the Cajuns' celebration? I bet it was definitely worth it. Have a nice day.

Regards,

Mike T.

I know that he probably won't respond, but I thought that it was worth rubbing it in a little.

postgame, I emailed that numbskull and gave him a piece of my mind. Dude has to have been hiding under a UL-Dumbroe duck stand in the woods when he failed to know about or respect our two QB's who are way better than Jyles, and our running game which is tops in the SBC.

God Bless

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information