Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Attendance at FIU game

UL Football Attendance at FIU game

Why do you think there was a dropoff of 5000 from the Troy game? I have heard duck hunting season started. It was LSU game fatigue. Who is FIU? We always lose the big games, who knew we would win.

Default Re: Attendance at FIU game

I forgot to say what I think the problem is. These big wig entertainers who invite people to the game but never come inside. I know I saw 4000 stay outside.

UL Football Re: Attendance at FIU game

Quote Originally Posted by gridiron
    Why do you think there was a dropoff of 5000 from the Troy game? I have heard duck hunting season started. It was LSU game fatigue. Who is FIU? We always lose the big games, who knew we would win.
    Who the hell knows. I give up on trying to figure it out. Duck hunting is kind of a lame excuse. The game is at 6 pm and they have been out of the duck blinds since 9 am, and had their afternoon beauty nap at home. Nope, a better reason has to be found.

The televised lsu game might have had some influence, since it ran over past our game starting time. Even the student side numbers appeared to be lacking.

Frankly I have no idea what the problem is/can/could be.

The problem is that there is no passion for Cajun football in the general community. The 10 years of losing football has lost the interest of alumni and the general public. There has been no stars to root for, no rivals to hate, and generally lousy football. This year has been great but we were 1-5 to start year. Most people quit following thinking that it is the same old same old. We played a bad FIU team. The solution is to keep improving the team and have back to back winning seasons. I'd like to ask the people who keep worrying about attendance this. What other mid-major that lost for 10 seasons in a row could attract almost 17000 people to a game?

Our attendence is still better than everyone elses in the sunbelt. North Texas had not lost a sunbelt game until this year and their attendence is horrible. Could you imagine if the cajuns won four straight title! we would have to expand the stadium. I also put some blame on the university. The university is horrible at marketing sports events. They make it seem like you should go to the game only if you don't have anything better to do! There should be banners and stuff all over campus advertising the game. I promise you over half the student body did not know that saturday was the most important game in ten years. I bet they don't know that Nov. 26th is the most important game in ten years. Even the faculty barely pushes the games. The teachers should make sure and announce home games in class and remind everyone to go to the game. Give extra points to the students with a ticket stub from teh game! Also, duck season is not a lame excuse it always hurts our attendence every year!

6. Default Re: Attendance at FIU game

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun
    The university is horrible at marketing sports events.
    Bingo !!!

Overall the University is marketing Lafayette and to Lafayette, not Louisiana or even Acadiana as a whole.

But when it comes to sports I see no marketing at all . . . wait I saw a couple of billboards.

The problem with the student attendance is this...We have more foreign students at our campus and they just don't support sports...There is just no other way to put it...:confused:

I forgot to say what I think the problem is. These big wig entertainers who invite people to the game but never come inside. I know I saw 4000 stay outside.
    Quit blaming tailgaters, they bring pizzazz to game day. Corp type who buy NFL suites and bring friends or clients never face the football field and you don't see the NFL complaining.

9. Default Re: Attendance at FIU game

You must have been pretty drunk on your way into the game(no offense), cause I made the walk from near Bertrand drive and didn't see anywhere that number. The ones that I did see were plastered to the tv watching LSU.

Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61
    The problem is that there is no passion for Cajun football in the general community. The 10 years of losing football has lost the interest of alumni and the general public. There has been no stars to root for, no rivals to hate, and generally lousy football. This year has been great but we were 1-5 to start year. Most people quit following thinking that it is the same old same old. We played a bad FIU team. The solution is to keep improving the team and have back to back winning seasons. I'd like to ask the people who keep worrying about attendance this. What other mid-major that lost for 10 seasons in a row could attract almost 17000 people to a game?

No stars? I would argue that we have had more stars in the last decade than any other previous decade. I remember everyone sitting around TVs watching the NFL draft in 87 or 88 when I first started at UL. Apparently we had a defensive end that was taken in the 3rd round (I can remember that but can't remember his name to save my life. Go figure.) and it was a huge deal that a Cajun was being drafted. In the last decade, it has been commonplace. Not only are they getting on rosters, they are winning staring jobs. Delhomme, Stokley, Ivan Taylor, Charles Tillman, CC Brown. All stars here and all were fun to watch. I also think we have more than a few on this roster that are worth watching. I think our problem with attendance is no different than anyone elses. There are football fans, and then there are people who like to be associated with winning. Football fans are the minority by far. Your last sentence certainly makes the point though. UNT barely pulls that when they are winning.

I did mean last 10 years or after Jake and Brandon. The players you noted were buried under losing games and mainly on defense. I believe with Tyrell, Mike, Jerry, and the other guys on offense we'll have to once again stars to follow and on winning teams which will improve the attendance. I also believe that once we beginning having more heated rivalries within the Sunbelt that will help. We spent along time as an independent with nothing to play for and except for La tech no rivals. I do believe that as the program and the conference improves that attendance will improve.

1-Florida Int

2-Sunbelt Conference

3-LSU game

Theres 3 reason why there was a dropoff..

Quote Originally Posted by Mineshaft
    1-Florida Int

2-Sunbelt Conference

3-LSU game

Theres 3 reason why there was a dropoff..

Also, it wasn't Homecoming.....but still no excuse!

Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61
    Very good post and an accurate analysis of what is going on with the Cajuns' program. Also add what a couple of other posters mentioned that the L(ittle)S(chool) U(p) the road was playing the # 4 team in the nation and FIU and us were probably #'s 125 and 150, have a lot to do with our attendance. I agree with you though, in looking at other Mid Majors attendances in the paper Sunday, we did fairly well.

UL Football Re: Attendance at FIU game

slight correction to what showdog said, there are only 117 teams in D-IA. But still we are in the high 100's, or low 90's right now.

But overall, I would have to agree with the poster who said that for having 10 losing seasons in a row, and we can still pull 17,000 says ALOT. However, we could say much more when we start winning more, and when once we start winning more, and we also start marketing it better, watch out! Things are lookin up y'all. Just have faith.

God Bless

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information