Thread: Greetings from Tucson

Default Greetings from Tucson

Arizona Wildcats fan here. So we've got a game against you guys in a couple of weeks in Tucson. You guys are having a pretty nice season and we're, um, er, um, oh, hey, basketball season's starting I'm actually not all that optimistic the the Cats will win this game; we've got no defense, special teams play has been horrid, and the team is error prone, and the Cajuns are a solid, well coached team. Good enough that Hudspeth has been mentioned as a candidate for the Arizona job. But, I'll digress from the football part for now. (On a personal note, my father attended school there in the late 50s, back when it was SW Louisiana, and then did the last two years of his bachelors degree at La. Tech, before going to Arizona to get his masters degree.)

Anyone here going to Tucson for the game? The weather should be fantastic, and our Mexican food can beat up anyone else's. We've got mountains you can take a drive in up near 10,000 feet, deserts, Tombstone and Bisbee, and sunsets that can't be beat. The Sonoran-style hot dogs here are so bad for you that it's beyond good. If you have a few days to check out the state, there's a pretty famous and Grand hole in the ground about 5 hours north, along with pine forests, Sedona, and more. For out-of-state visitors, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is the must-see day trip. If you're into aircraft, we have the Pima Air & Space Museum. We have the usual touristy things like art galleries (the DeGrazia Gallery of the Sun is extremely popular) and shops that most places have as well. I've lived here for 35 years, so if you've got any questions about town, where your hotel is, or anything like that, I'll do my best to help out on that front.

Here's hoping for a good game and a good time for everyone involved.

Default Re: Greetings from Tucson

Welcome to our board. I will not be attending the game but we have a few people that are. Thanks for your insight on things to do. I am sure the people who are making the trip will appreciate that. My wifes best friend lives there and my love would love to make the trip. Its just not in the budget this year. Again welcome and a Cajun win lol.

We have friends who have recently retired to Tucson.we wont be able to make it but in laws are going with a sizeable group.onthers from Houston are also attending. I have visited Tucson recently and it is i wonderful city. Our fans will enjoy it.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by desertrat View Post
    Arizona Wildcats fan here. So we've got a game against you guys in a couple of weeks in Tucson. You guys are having a pretty nice season and we're, um, er, um, oh, hey, basketball season's starting I'm actually not all that optimistic the the Cats will win this game; we've got no defense, special teams play has been horrid, and the team is error prone, and the Cajuns are a solid, well coached team. Good enough that Hudspeth has been mentioned as a candidate for the Arizona job. But, I'll digress from the football part for now. (On a personal note, my father attended school there in the late 50s, back when it was SW Louisiana, and then did the last two years of his bachelors degree at La. Tech, before going to Arizona to get his masters degree.)

Anyone here going to Tucson for the game? The weather should be fantastic, and our Mexican food can beat up anyone else's. We've got mountains you can take a drive in up near 10,000 feet, deserts, Tombstone and Bisbee, and sunsets that can't be beat. The Sonoran-style hot dogs here are so bad for you that it's beyond good. If you have a few days to check out the state, there's a pretty famous and Grand hole in the ground about 5 hours north, along with pine forests, Sedona, and more. For out-of-state visitors, the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is the must-see day trip. If you're into aircraft, we have the Pima Air & Space Museum. We have the usual touristy things like art galleries (the DeGrazia Gallery of the Sun is extremely popular) and shops that most places have as well. I've lived here for 35 years, so if you've got any questions about town, where your hotel is, or anything like that, I'll do my best to help out on that front.

Myself and 3 others are going. It sounds like a wonderful place, cant wait to visit.

Z

5. Default

. . . my father attended school there in the late 50s, back when it was SW Louisiana, and then did the last two years of his bachelors degree at La. Tech, before going to Arizona to get his masters degree.)
    This one of those rare cases of . . . it's not where you finish it's where you start.

I had totally forgotten about the Pima air Museum, Z. I've seen a lot of photos from there and it looks awesome. Lisa is going to be thrilled when I tell here it's on the itinerary! LOL! I guess she and Em can go to one. Of the Art Musuems.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    I had totally forgotten about the Pima air Museum, Z. I've seen a lot of photos from there and it looks awesome. Lisa is going to be thrilled when I tell here it's on the itinerary! LOL! I guess she and Em can go to one. Of the Art Musuems.
    I spent a few days there last year and the Pima air Museum is definetly worth it. One reccomendation do the self guided tour and the bus trip through the bone yard, we opted for the whole big package and the wife was quite bored by the end of the day. Also if you have time check out the Titan Missle museum as well, very interesting to see just how close we were to the cold war turning very hot. Don't pass up the sonoran hot dog even if your not a hot dog person its well worth a try.

Zeebart21's Avatar Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Anywhere that there is a bottle of wine handy will do, right!!

Z

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Greetings from Tucson

We are going to AZ. My bro in Mesa az is waiting on word for his tail gate spot in the mall. Would be cool if some of the locals join us. You bring the Mex food & we bringing gumbo. Eat till we drop.

Louisiana Re: Greetings from Tucson

Z If u going, I will get bro to bring the wine. He works for ca wineries

hey brother, glad to see you made it to the site

Quote Originally Posted by garmen View Post
    Z If u going, I will get bro to bring the wine. He works for ca wineries
    No, their isnt any if about it. Hotel and airline booked. We are there! as time draws near we will hook up and discuss what we can bring to the party. I will take my flag down and pack in my suitcase so we can represent. Looking forward to it!

Z

13. Default Re: Greetings from Tucson

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Myself and 3 others are going. It sounds like a wonderful place, cant wait to visit.

Z
    Z,
    are you flying out and if so what airline? Where are ya'll staying?

A few recommendations -

As to the aforementioned Sonoran hot dog, I recommend El Guero Canelo. They have three locations, including one not too far from campus (Oracle Rd. a bit north of Grant.) Order your food, obviously a hot dog or two but I recommend you get some carne asada, maybe a small burrito or a taco, because the carne asada is pretty darn good there. You get to load up on salsa while you'd wait. Normally I'd warn you guys that their stuff is a bit on the hot side, but seeing that this is a Cajun board. well, one thing I learned from my old man is that Cajuns can outdo anyone on hot foods

For traditional Mexican food, I like to go to either Rigo's or Mi Nidito on south 4th Avenue. Both are excellent. Rigo's is easier to get into because Nidito tends to have a 30-45 minute wait, but Rigo's is as good or better than Nidito.

For the above mention on the air museum about the boneyard tour - yes, yes, yes, if you're at the museum, you gotta see the boneyard. To get an idea, here's a link to Google Maps:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?q=6000+e.85756&t=h&z=16
    Get the satellite view and start scrolling to the north and east. We've got miles and miles of aircraft out there.

If you decide to go see Tombstone (a lot of people who come out here want to do that) make a full day and go to Bisbee as well. Bisbee to me is much more interesting; Tombstone is a tourist trap. Bisbee is about two hours away. If you can make it, the Queen Mine tour is pretty neat.

The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum is the place everyone takes the out of town guests to, and it's well worth it. Old Tucson Studios is nearby, although I've found it underwhelming. Saguaro National Park West is also out by the Desert Museum. It's really pretty out there, and the weather should be great.

If you don't know where your hotel is, I'll do my best to help and tell you what's around the area. Don't expect a big crowd at the game; it's Thanksgiving weekend and the students are out of town. Tucson is a great place to be over the fall and winter months, and it'll be a good thing for you guys that this game wasn't scheduled early like most out-of-conference games are; the early September games are typically out in 100 degree weather. Hope everyone has an enjoyable trip out here.

Thanks for the info Desert rat. I will pass it on to my brother in law. Hope you have a good basketball season and Happy Thanksgiving.

Thread Information