Thread: Megan Gary Inks with the Lady Cajuns of Louisiana

1. UL Volleyball Megan Gary Inks with the Lady Cajuns of Louisiana

Hamshire-Fannett's Megan Gary signed to play volleyball for the University of Louisiana-La.

The source of the info

2. UL Volleyball A Playoff game

A volleyball rematch between the Silsbee Tigers and Hamshire-Fannett Longhorns will take center stage tonight at Nederland High School in the regional quarterfinal round of the Class 3A playoffs.

These two teams faced each other in the regional quarterfinals last season, and after five hard fought games, the Longhorns came away with the victory that eliminated state-ranked Silsbee from the postseason.

The No. 7-ranked Tigers (30-3) will definitely have that on their minds when they take the court at 6:30 p.m. today.

"We're looking forward to having the rematch," said Silsbee coach Dana Thornton, whose team won its area round match 3-0 against Liberty last Thursday. "This is a different team, and hopefully the outcome will be different. We know that Hamshire-Fannett is a really tough opponent, and that we'll have to really play great defense and hopefully our offense will be good. We're excited to be here."

Junior Memri Carmon paced H-F with nine kills, four aces and eight blocks against Buna. Junior Cheyenne Craigen also had nine kills, three aces and four blocks for the Longhorns. H-F will also look for leadership from senior Megan Gary, who contributed seven kills and one ace against Buna, and will sign later this week to play at Louisiana-Lafayette next season.

The rest of the story

sports@beaumontenterprise.com
    (409) 838-2806

3. UL Volleyball Gary following path of siblings

Megan Gary used to watch enviously as her two older sisters played volleyball for the Hamshire-Fannett Longhorns.

The youngest Gary would sit in the stands and watch in amazement as her sisters leaped above the height of the volleyball net to spike and block ball after ball.

"When I was younger, I loved to watch my older sisters play," she said. "I wanted to be just like them."

For Gary, volleyball has been a part of her routine since junior high.

As a sixth-grader, she fell in love with the outside hitter position, and after years of practice has become a dominant force on the court for the Longhorns volleyball team.

As it turns out, the Hamshire-Fannett senior takes pleasure in hammering plenty of balls into the territories of her opponents. She leads the team in kills this season.

Last year, Gary was selected most valuable player of District 24-3A and led the team in kills and digs. She had a total of 426 kills and 466 digs.

The rest of the story

By JOHNNIE WALTERS
    The Enterprise 11/11/2005

jwalters@beaumontenterprise.com
    (409) 833-3311, ext. 482
    ©The Beaumont Enterprise 2005

Thread Information