Thread: Possible c-usa opening?

Default Possible c-usa opening?

Rumors flying around that Tulane may have to ditch their football program afte this year due to school and state budget problems. Should this happen, even if temporarily, a spot would open in the 12 team c-usa, and in order to keep their championship game, they would need to stay at 12 teams. I think that if UL were to move up to c-usa it would be a major boon for the program. a team in c-usa that pulls out a winning record is going to get a bowl they have ( i believe ) 6 bowl tie-ins, as opposed to the sun belts 1. could be a one sport move.

Default Re: Possible c-usa opening?

why would c-usa pick UL to be a FOOTBALL member of their conference, when it is obviously the only sport, out of all our sports, in which we still are terrible in.

aside from all the good reasons I can think of, our football teams performance would probably be big enough of a factor to keep us out. Besides, the quality of teams we'd play in CUSA would be higher than the SBC, therefore our record might even get worse. But whatever, I wouldn't complain if we got there.

God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by manizzle
    why would c-usa pick UL to be a FOOTBALL member of their conference, when it is obviously the only sport, out of all our sports, in which we still are terrible in.
    You think SMU , Tulsa, Houston, East Carolina, Memphis, are great football sports. Come on , give me a break. I believe within 4 years our football program would be better than theirs. We can compete in basketball, baseball, win softball, and all others would fall in place. Be optomistic. Until we got into this conference we were getting a minumal number of prime players. Also , our end of the year televisions revenue shares would be tremendous.

Think about it.No more scheduling big schools, if we needed an extra game we could play a Sunbelt School to complete our schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by locoguano
    Rumors flying around that Tulane may have to ditch their football program afte this year due to school and state budget problems. Should this happen, even if temporarily, a spot would open in the 12 team c-usa, and in order to keep their championship game, they would need to stay at 12 teams. I think that if UL were to move up to c-usa it would be a major boon for the program. a team in c-usa that pulls out a winning record is going to get a bowl they have ( i believe ) 6 bowl tie-ins, as opposed to the sun belts 1. could be a one sport move.
    CUSA would be good for us. However, many other schools will lobby for the opening if it does occur. There will be quite a bit of lobbying done by quite a few folks to get this slot. Unfortunate for college football fans in New Orleans if this occurs. We need to worry about improving our on field results and other things will take care of themselves.

if c-usa needs another team they will look to the sun belt. geographically it works, and by taking UL they would be keeping the Louisiana market. as for improving play on the field. with better opponents comes better exposure comes better players. This is all speculative anyway, but I'd like to see the big push by UL should the oppurtunity arise

if c-usa needs another team they will look to the sun belt. geographically it works, and by taking UL they would be keeping the Louisiana market. as for improving play on the field. with better opponents comes better exposure comes better players. This is all speculative anyway, but I'd like to see the big push by UL should the oppurtunity arise
    This is where not having a Athletic Director can hurt us.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun tom
    This is where not having a Athletic Director can hurt us.

Excellent point!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Possible c-usa opening?

Exactly, SMU is certainly NO powerhouse in football and they got in. We need to just keep plugging along and when an opening comes available then give it our best shot.

North Texas AD to UL???

DaddyCajun

RedCajun's Avatar RedCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun

North Texas AD to UL???

DaddyCajun
    Say what?

USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998) Re: Possible c-usa opening?

Quote Originally Posted by manizzle
    Exactly my thoughts! CUSA will not come looking to lafayette for the cajuns to join their conference. Nobody should be setting themselves up for this! If any team in Louisiana will be in CUSA it will be LaTech. I really just cannot see ull moving to another conference anytime soon. At least for the next 5-10 years. By then, they will probably be locked out of any mid-major to major conference as these will be situated exactly where the want to be. It's going to be even tougher to be a cajun fan in the future!

Quote Originally Posted by UL-Lreality
    Exactly my thoughts! CUSA will not come looking to lafayette for the cajuns to join their conference. Nobody should be setting themselves up for this! If any team in Louisiana will be in CUSA it will be LaTech. I really just cannot see ull moving to another conference anytime soon. At least for the next 5-10 years. By then, they will probably be locked out of any mid-major to major conference as these will be situated exactly where the want to be. It's going to be even tougher to be a cajun fan in the future!
    While I think UL would be a better "all-sports" choice, right now LaTech would be a better football only choice. Also, they were at least in the running last time when UTEP got in. Certainly you'd have to factor in UNT a little ahead of us right now. I'm hoping Tulane can get their act together and continue to compete in CUSA. I'd rather have them as a conference partner than take their place anyway. Only thing I disagree on is your final thought that being a UL fan in the furure will be tougher. Guess I'm just a glass half full kind of guy.

13. Default Re: Possible c-usa opening?

Quote Originally Posted by USLJim
    You think SMU , Tulsa, Houston, East Carolina, Memphis, are great football sports. Come on , give me a break. I believe within 4 years our football program would be better than theirs. We can compete in basketball, baseball, win softball, and all others would fall in place. Be optomistic. Until we got into this conference we were getting a minumal number of prime players. Also , our end of the year televisions revenue shares would be tremendous.

Think about it.No more scheduling big schools, if we needed an extra game we could play a Sunbelt School to complete our schedule.
    We gave the game away to the leading team in CUSA-UCF sits atop one division---We can play in that league--especially with some beef up front!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by USLJim

I have always said we would have better records playing in bigger conferences. Heck, the team in the middle of the pack in the SEC (Vanderbilt) lost to a lowly Sun Belt school that we beat!

Big Conferences are overrated!

Thread Information