Thread: UL Great Orlando Thomas is fighting terminal illness

1. UL Football UL Great Orlando Thomas is fighting terminal illness

Former Vikings safety Orlando Thomas is terminally ill near his hometown of La, Louisiana

"Hopefully everyone in Minnesota will have him in their thoughts and prayers," said Mark Bartelstein, Thomas' longtime agent.

Thomas, 33, could not be reached. Bartelstein said Thomas prefers to keep the nature of his illness private.

Thomas has been dabbling in coaching since retiring after the Vikings released him following the 2001 season. He was an intern last summer for the Arizona Cardinals under former Vikings coach Dennis Green, but the illness forced him to cancel plans.

Thomas has spent this fall working as an assistant coach at Comeaux High School in Lafayette.

"His spirits are great, and he's out here every day," said Brian Langlinais, Comeaux's head coach.

Thomas, the Vikings' second-round pick in the 1995 draft, retired after the 2001 season, his career shortened by injuries. He intercepted 22 passes in seven seasons, including nine in his rookie year.

Daryl Cetar, a spokesman for the University of Louisiana-Lafayette -- where Thomas starred from 1991 to '94 -- said plans have been discussed for an event to benefit Thomas' family. The event was to have taken place at an on-campus arena but was postponed when the building became a refuge for victims of Hurricane Katrina.

The source of the story

Kevin Seifert and Judd Zulgad
    Star Tribune

Default Re: UL Great Orlando Thomas is fighting terminal illness

Perhaps the best football player to ever play at SLI; USL; or UL.

When he lined up for a safetly blitz, they knew he was coming but not a darn thing they could do about it. A bonified All-American.

Wish he and his family well.

I too wish Orlando well, and will attend the fund raiser. What I and others need to know is when and where.

dc

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun
    I too wish Orlando well, and will attend the fund raiser. What I and others need to know is when and where.

dc
    Hope Orlando gets well soon

Let's DO IT, Count me in on helping out.

Thread Information